This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So soon?

#1Tequila_ShotPosted 1/9/2013 2:04:14 AM
The announcement of a simultaneous global release of the next generation already? Black 2 (which, I haven't even beaten yet) and White 2 have only been out internationally for three months, and Black and White have only been out internationally for less than two years.

Why? I realize that the NDS is a sorely outdated system (ironically, still more popular than the Vita), but that was also true back when Black and White were announced. I can't help but wonder if there's some other factor at work here. So, why so sudden? Why are they so eager to put the kibosh on Fifth Gen, and move on to Sixth Gen? This whole thing has my feathers all ruffled.

Does anybody have the first year's sales of Black and White in comparison to Diamond and Pearl? And, does anybody have the sales numbers for Black 2 and White 2 so far, preferrably with a comparison to Black and White, and possibly even Platinum?
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#2bd43Posted 1/9/2013 2:06:37 AM
If you ignore the international dates, the timing is right.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#3arvilinoPosted 1/9/2013 2:09:56 AM
Tequila_Shot posted...
The announcement of a simultaneous global release of the next generation already? Black 2 (which, I haven't even beaten yet) and White 2 have only been out internationally for three months, and Black and White have only been out internationally for less than two years.

Why? I realize that the NDS is a sorely outdated system (ironically, still more popular than the Vita), but that was also true back when Black and White were announced. I can't help but wonder if there's some other factor at work here. So, why so sudden? Why are they so eager to put the kibosh on Fifth Gen, and move on to Sixth Gen? This whole thing has my feathers all ruffled.

Does anybody have the first year's sales of Black and White in comparison to Diamond and Pearl? And, does anybody have the sales numbers for Black 2 and White 2 so far, preferrably with a comparison to Black and White, and possibly even Platinum?

It's on the Nintendo Direct video, they where able to do a worldwide release. Though really by the time X/Y is out B2/W2 would have been released internationally for a year anyway.
#4reaverzPosted 1/9/2013 2:16:20 AM(edited)
It's probably because the 3DS has been out for close to two years now; when looking at it from that perspective, these games are arriving a bit late when compared to the months between previous console releases to main Pokemon releases. Not to mention that Black and White came at an awkward time, with the 3DS being released mere months afterward. I think that the clock started ticking pretty early for Gen 5.

When you look at all the things that happened with Pokemon in 2012 though, it becomes obvious that they were trying to get Gen 5 out of the way so that they could start promoting Gen 6 this year.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#5Tequila_Shot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 2:20:37 AM
bd43 posted...
If you ignore the international dates, the timing is right.

Hmmm. Let's see here.

Between Red's and Gold's Japanese releases - Feb. 1996 to Nov. 1999: 3 Years, 9 Months
Between Gold's and Ruby's Japanese releases - Nov. 1999 to Nov. 2002: 3 Years
Between Ruby's and Diamond's Japanese releases - Nov. 2002 to Sep. 2006: 3 Years, 10 Months
Between Diamond's and Black's Japanese releases - Sep. 2006 to Sep. 2010: 4 Years
Between Black's and X's Japanese releases - Sep. 2010 to Oct 2013: 3 Years, 1 Month

I wouldn't call it "right", but when you look strictly at the Japanese releases, it does seem a lot closer to accurate. It's still below the average. Maybe it's the whole simultaneous global launch that is throwing me for a loop. Still seems like I have barely gotten my feet wet in Black 2 and White 2, and already there's something else on the horizon.

reaverz posted...
It's probably because the 3DS has been out for close to two years now; when looking at it from that perspective, these games are arriving a bit late when compared to the months between previous console releases to main Pokemon releases. Not to mention that Black and White came at an awkward time, with the 3DS being released mere months afterward. I think that the clock started ticking pretty early for Gen 5.

When you look at all the things that happened with Pokemon in 2012 though, it becomes obvious that they were trying to get Gen 5 out of the way so that they could start promoting Gen 6 this year.

Which makes me curious about their sales figures for this generation. I mean, as much as people like to shout down the DS for being outdated, it dominated the handheld market for years, and the only real competition it had last year was it's own successor, unless you count gaming on your phone as a true "handheld".
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#6reaverzPosted 1/9/2013 2:30:11 AM
You should also consider that GameFreak was one of the first companies to receive 3DS development kits, so they've had years of being able to fiddle around with it. Not to mention that Black2/White2 contained 3DS-exclusive content... I suspect that Nintendo may have given them a light nudge about getting main series 3DS games out by the end of 2013.

Even if GameFreak could continue being profitable through DS games, it wouldn't really be helping Nintendo's current handheld console, so I wouldn't expect lower sales figures to be a cause for Gen 6 being announced now. If XY are already in the localization process, they must have started development on them in 2011 at the latest (which falls in line with what GameFreak has said in the past about starting work on the next gen right after the first pair games are released).
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#7JollyBudaPosted 1/9/2013 2:48:13 AM
The models that we have been shown so far looks exactly like the style of the 3D Pokedex, and when did that come out? A couple of months after the 3DS launch? So I think it's safe to say this has been in the works for awhile
---
PSN: MrMonochrome
UMvC3: Hulk / Vergil / Spencer, SSFIV:AE: Dudley