This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fennec Fox Fennekin's German name

#1fuzi11Posted 1/9/2013 3:23:15 AM
So I am just throwing out thoughts here. All is speculation.

As I care most for the German names (because German) I was a little bit surprised by Fennekin's German name.

First of all, it seems kind of obvious that the English name comes from FENNEc fox and very probable KIN

but its German name is Fynx. very strange. The German name of the fennec fox is 'Fennek'. so Fennekin that is already written with a 'k' makes much more sense at first.

So why Fynx? Let's get further. 'Fuchs' is the German word for 'fox'. 'chs' has the same pronunciation as an 'x' so that would explain the 'x' at the end and the 'F' at the beginning.

But still... Fynx? If we just go by phonetics it really sounds like the mythical 'Sphynx' but without the 's' in the begiining.

Following with that logic. Could it be, that the Fennec Fox Pokemon Fennekin may evolve into a fiery Sphinx-like monster? Although I don't know how much sense it makes for a fox to evolve into a lion-bird-human hybrid, but keep in mind what happened to Oshawott and to Remoraid. The Egyptian Sphynx in the desert also sounds like a fire type.

All in all. A Sphynx Pokemon would be awesome. Even if it is not a starter.
#2GTRagnarokPosted 1/9/2013 3:25:02 AM
'Fuchs' is the German word for 'fox'. 'chs' has the same pronunciation as an 'x'

Heheheh

/immaturity
---
Alienware M17x R4 | i7-3720QM | 2GB 7970M | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 128GB Samsung PM830 mSATA SSD
#3Decon082Posted 1/9/2013 3:28:53 AM
While it's not German, maybe Fynx has similarities to the word Lynx. Though that may be a bit unlikely, as I don't know any German, but Google Translate says Lynx translates to Luchs, like you said with Fuchs.

Maybe Fennekin will evolve into a Lynx Pokemon!
---
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X boards.
#4brigadier_101Posted 1/9/2013 3:29:31 AM
Fynx sounds like it comes from the Lynx... But that's from the Feline family and not the Canine family like a fox. Maybe they got confused with cats and dogs.
---
My reviews: http://jordanhumphries90.wordpress.com/
Latest review: Monster Shooter (Nintendo 3DS)
#5fuzi11(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 3:48:55 AM
I looked it up, Lynx is the scientific name for, well, our Luchs. Scientific names often play a role in giving names.

But a lynx fox hybrid is also really strange. the one is a cat the other one a dog (to put it in easy words)
#6brigadier_101Posted 1/9/2013 3:53:10 AM
Maybe the German translators didn't know what a Fennec was and thought the Fennekin looked more like a Lynx. They both have large ears. But yes, mixing Canidae with Felidae is a bit of a strange one. Still... More than haf a year left of development, translations may be tweaked.
---
My reviews: http://jordanhumphries90.wordpress.com/
Latest review: Monster Shooter (Nintendo 3DS)
#7Decon082Posted 1/9/2013 3:53:56 AM
fuzi11 posted...
I looked it up, Lynx is the scientific name for, well, our Luchs. Scientific names often play a role in giving names.

But a lynx fox hybrid is also really strange. the one is a cat the other one a dog (to put it in easy words)

I think it would be an interesting concept. Maybe a lynx with a fox tail. Of course, we'll never know until we see it.
---
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X boards.
#8fuzi11(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 3:58:30 AM
brigadier_101 posted...
Maybe the German translators didn't know what a Fennec was and thought the Fennekin looked more like a Lynx. They both have large ears. But yes, mixing Canidae with Felidae is a bit of a strange one. Still... More than haf a year left of development, translations may be tweaked.

Pokemon Inc. is very strict with their properties, I think they give the origins to a specific pokemon to the translators, so that they know what to look for in a name.
#9fuzi11(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:07:19 AM
GTRagnarok posted...
'Fuchs' is the German word for 'fox'. 'chs' has the same pronunciation as an 'x'

Heheheh

/immaturity

I don't get that
#10KitschgardenerPosted 1/9/2013 7:15:44 AM
fuzi11 posted...

Definitely - the German localisers use Latin a lot in their names. Though the sphinx idea is good too.