This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chances of Nintendo eliminating backwards compatibility with older games?

#21Tequila_ShotPosted 1/9/2013 9:18:26 AM
SlimeStack posted...
Tequila_Shot posted...
The additions to the new Pokemon were a nonissue back then. All the data for all 386 of the Pokemon at the time existed in Ruby and Sapphire, so it would be a simple matter of fill-in-the-blanks. They did the same thing in Gold and Silver with the addition of a new stat and First Gen Pokemon holding items.

The reason it was limited was because there was no means of communication. The cables were incompatible and wireless communication on a handheld gaming device was still too primitive.

That and the way EV's worked was completely different.

Ruby & Sapphire still took advantage of the reboot even if it wasn't required to make their vision work.

A reboot wasn't intended though. Like I said, the data for all 386 Pokemon exists in Ruby and Sapphire. They wholly intended some means for all those unobtainable Pokemon to be obtained somehow, when the games were launched.

And like I said, anybody who thinks to deny me of my collection deserves to drink contaminated toilet water.
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#22bd43Posted 1/9/2013 9:30:35 AM
Tequila_Shot posted...
SlimeStack posted...
Tequila_Shot posted...
The additions to the new Pokemon were a nonissue back then. All the data for all 386 of the Pokemon at the time existed in Ruby and Sapphire, so it would be a simple matter of fill-in-the-blanks. They did the same thing in Gold and Silver with the addition of a new stat and First Gen Pokemon holding items.

The reason it was limited was because there was no means of communication. The cables were incompatible and wireless communication on a handheld gaming device was still too primitive.

That and the way EV's worked was completely different.

Ruby & Sapphire still took advantage of the reboot even if it wasn't required to make their vision work.

A reboot wasn't intended though. Like I said, the data for all 386 Pokemon exists in Ruby and Sapphire. They wholly intended some means for all those unobtainable Pokemon to be obtained somehow, when the games were launched.

And like I said, anybody who thinks to deny me of my collection deserves to drink contaminated toilet water.

Pretty sure you can still use your collection. But lets be fair. If you can do it without saving a catalogue of pokemon online, I think it's reasonable to transfer.

If you have to save them online, Nintendo loses all around and they have every right to reinvigorate the series by strong arming you in to additional purchases.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#23ADHDguitarPosted 1/9/2013 9:31:43 AM
The same chance as us burning down Game Freak if you catch my drift.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#24banjo kazooiePosted 1/9/2013 9:32:13 AM
McTCM posted...
RSE added tons to a pokemon which prev gens didn't have (ability, nature), which was impossible to decide when transfered.

No, not really. I've said this before, in far more depth, but the only thing, at all, that could not be reconciled very easily was the EV system, due to the fact that the old games had no shared limit between the stats. And that is the only incompatibility. You know, aside from the completely unsolvable hardware incompatibility.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#25hellslingerPosted 1/9/2013 9:35:03 AM
Yeah not happening.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yVoaY.jpg