This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen 5 the worst generation?

#51Kagayaku08Posted 1/9/2013 1:02:25 PM
Roanark posted...
Definitely... I mean, basing pokemon of items? That's just ridiculous...

you mean like unknown? a pokemon based on the alphabet or wobbuffet and whatever its based on. How about Hitmontop since its based on a spinning top? These are all second gen pokemon, btw

seriously, why are people just realizing all pokemon aren't based on animals? Its been going on since the first gen. We have concepts, body parts, and even writing and this has been going on since pokemon began. Of all the things people can whine about, this makes the least amount of sense
---
~When everything's made to be broken, i don't give a damn if you know who I am~
#52Platinum_LuigiPosted 1/9/2013 1:03:25 PM
I actually liked Gen 5 the best because:

-Unlimited use of TM's is extremely usefull
-Not having to chug around an HM slave is very nice.
-Story in Black/White 1 was fresh, ending caught me by surprise
-Animated sprites at long last. Though they look so 2d dimensional compared to the models in X and Y
-Only new pokemon were obtainable in Black/White 1, making it feel like a completely new experience like Gen 1
-Old Team Plasma and N's motives were a lot more interesting than Aqua/Magma, Galactic, or Rocket's.
-Most varied, and interesting environments.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/awesome_user
#53imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 1:06:19 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#54Riku994Posted 1/9/2013 1:05:55 PM
It's hard to judge generations because if we're just counting the base games (r/b/y, g/s/c, r/s/e, d/p/pt, b/w/b2/w2) then it's kinda of easier, but if your throw in the remakes in gens 3 and 4 (fr/lg and hg/ss) it becomes harder to define, because HG/SS were vastly superior games to d/p (I never played platinum) and therefore made Gen 4 better.

Without remakes, I would say:

2(If only for nostalgia) > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4

With remakes:

4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1
---
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's undeniable." - Noctis Lucis Caelum
PSN: Riku994
#55PolimarioPosted 1/9/2013 1:07:01 PM
imdebomb2 posted...
imdebomb2 posted...
Yeah? I was born in '91 and started with the same games.

What's so bad about Gen II?

Night/Day system, which sadly was never reused properly.

Breeding Pokemon/Poke Eggs.

100 new Pokemon that didn't suck ass.

TWO regions, one game. 16 Gyms

COLOR GRAPHICS

Shiny's.

Slowpoke tails.

Better means of transportation.

Etc etc etc. The games took everything great about the first three and pumped it with steroids.

I agree completely.

You agreed with yourself? What are you, Gollum?

Why Gen 2 is the worst:
-Horrible Level Scaling. There were level 20 Pokemon by the 8th Gym, where Trainers and Leaders were late 30's-early 40's. Pokemon in Kanto were around Level 15.

-Johto 'Mons had ridiculous encounter rates. 1% for Snubbull? Really? Houndour only in Kanto? Larvitar only by the very end of the post-game?

-Two BARREN regions. Viridian Forest nonexistant, Cerulean Cave gone, Seafoam Islands replaced for Blaine's Gym. Mt. Mortar wasn't that impressive.

-No Safari Zone. This one's a little excusable due to evidence that one was in the works, but still.

-Night/Day is fine, but it makes certain events unaccessable to people with JOBS, SCHOOL, and people with not much free time to begin with.

-Train and Boat were lousy excuses for not being able to fly everywhere from anywhere.

Bolded Slowpoke Tail. That held NO signifigance at all aside from story.

And need I remind you of how they tore down Pokemon Tower, a CEMETARY, for a Radio Tower.

Gen 2 wasn't bad, but it was the worst.
---
Get on my bad side...and I'll freeze you solid!
Self-Proclaimed Kyurem of all eternity.
#56imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 1:15:03 PM(edited)
My PRECIOUS!

You agreed with yourself? What are you, Gollum?

Why Gen 2 is the worst:
-Horrible Level Scaling. There were level 20 Pokemon by the 8th Gym, where Trainers and Leaders were late 30's-early 40's. Pokemon in Kanto were around Level 15.

-Johto 'Mons had ridiculous encounter rates. 1% for Snubbull? Really? Houndour only in Kanto? Larvitar only by the very end of the post-game?

-Two BARREN regions. Viridian Forest nonexistant, Cerulean Cave gone, Seafoam Islands replaced for Blaine's Gym. Mt. Mortar wasn't that impressive.

-No Safari Zone. This one's a little excusable due to evidence that one was in the works, but still.

-Night/Day is fine, but it makes certain events unaccessable to people with JOBS, SCHOOL, and people with not much free time to begin with.

-Train and Boat were lousy excuses for not being able to fly everywhere from anywhere.

Bolded Slowpoke Tail. That held NO signifigance at all aside from story.

And need I remind you of how they tore down Pokemon Tower, a CEMETARY, for a Radio Tower.

Most trainers power level their starter anyways, so "level scaling" is really a moot point. Who cares? Tougher challenges arrived later in-game.

Every game has had it's share of ridiculous encounter rates. Chansey? Seedot? Skitty? It's not exactly "unique" to Gen II.

We'd ALREADY PLAYED GEN I. You want the full experience of Kanto? Play Yellow.

- We had the National Park instead of the Safari zone. Same basic idea.

Children have summer vacations, weekends, and again, the NIGHT STARTED AT LIKE 7PM. Most kids don't have a bedtime until 9ish.

You could eventually fly.

SLOWPOKE TAILS ARE DELICIOUS.

Did anyone really like Pokemon Tower, anyways? I head it made kids kill themselves in droves..
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#57RunebogglePosted 1/9/2013 1:14:18 PM
Having to strategically time your assaults on wild Pokemon depending on time of day added more challenged, depth, and realism. Also, most eight year olds don't have a job, have summer vacations and weekends to boot as well. Also...the night started at 7PM I believe? Hardly "late in the day".

F*** realism in games.
Glad to hear that your Gen II love is just you being blinded by nostalgia, though.

Having introduced the egg system is in fact a big deal. How'd the sequels "vastly improve"? As far as I recall, they didn't really screw up the male/female dynamic and most eggs still required 5000+ steps to hatch.

Everstone breeding (introduced in Emerald), Power Item breeding (introduced in Platinum, I believe).
The egg hatching abilities introduced in Emerald as well, and the increased chance (100% compared to 50%) of Everstone breeding introduced in BW.

- "Opinion. I HATE... kinda nullifies your whole section there, buddy. Most everyone loved Gen II's monsters. Who the hell prefers a candle pokemon?

You posted your opinion, so I posted mine.
The Litwick line is pretty damn cool. A possessed candle that evolves into a possessed chandelier.

The fact that the two regions existed, period, was a great feature. It was stripped back, so? You still had double the usual experience.

No, you really didn't.
One great region > two half regions
Gen II had the shortest main game of all of them.

- Many collectors adore the addition of Shiny Pokemon. Everyone who owned a GBC gave a **** about the color graphics and animations. And FROICKING SLOWPOKE TAILS, GODDAMIT.

Shinies sucked in Gen II, having a set IV spread.
It's expected that the newest game makes use of the newest features on the hardware. Also, Yellow technically introduced your color graphics.
---
Si || http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUMFL0Gckkg
#58Elwafir123Posted 1/9/2013 1:14:50 PM
All of the generations are awesome
#59RunebogglePosted 1/9/2013 1:14:53 PM
You LOSE. Troll, good DAY. Or night? Too bad you can't catch Hoothoot, punk ass boitch!

I'm really not trolling, but I have a feeling you are. Nice flames, btw.
---
Si || http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQBpWE2tyA
#60mondrae205Posted 1/9/2013 1:15:46 PM
I wanted to take down team plasma on my own like the good old days, not have help from my useless rival in white 2
---
Congratulations, random chance is random and based on chance -Naucitos
Official Arceus of pokemon X board