This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The "XYZ axes" idea on account of the games being 3D doesn't really make sense

#1EnferolunosPosted 1/9/2013 12:32:08 PM(edited)
This game doesn't seem to be any more 3D than any of the past games in terms of gameplay. True, models instead of sprites are new (to handhelds), but the actually gameplay (and world visuals) aren't any more 3D than past games (or BW, at least).

EDIT: For clarification, I mean that the notion of the names being based on the axes is silly
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D, Pokemon XY
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#2SBNetopirPosted 1/9/2013 12:27:31 PM
Going by that logic, Gold and Silver's names didn't make any sense because you weren't a miner in those games. That said, the chromosome theory is still present. Nothing's preventing Game Freak from making Pokemon XY and Pokemon XX.
#3thatguyoncheesePosted 1/9/2013 12:28:44 PM
SBNetopir posted...
Going by that logic, Gold and Silver's names didn't make any sense because you weren't a miner in those games. That said, the chromosome theory is still present. Nothing's preventing Game Freak from making Pokemon XY and Pokemon XX.

Yeah, I think it will be XX and XY as well. Much more logical, given the evidence.
---
do you even lift bro
#4Enferolunos(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 12:31:12 PM
SBNetopir posted...

That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying "X and Y are stupid names because gameplay isn't more 3D," I'm saying "It's unlikely that the name for X and Y comes from the axes"
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D, Pokemon XY
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#5SBNetopirPosted 1/9/2013 12:34:12 PM
I never said you said the names are stupid. However, the chromosomes and the axes are the first thing to come to mind when X and Y are mentioned, imo, and since the game is marketed as 3D, it's not that Farfetch'd.
#6ScottThangPosted 1/9/2013 12:34:13 PM
People don't seem to realize that these could be double meanings. It does help that, in some animals, there exists a Z chromosome. It's kind of like last gen, where Black/White could both refer to the colors of Reshiram and Zekrom, as well as the whole "black and white morality" issue discussed in the games.
---
Only on LUE would people be talking about Captain Planet commandeering the magic school bus- bronzeshadow
There is no cure for cancer- LUE's slogan
#7lilaschildkrotePosted 1/9/2013 12:34:43 PM
at first i thought you got your 3 axes
x axis
y axis
z axis
3D to play with them being the 1st 3D pokemon games

But then i realized october is 9 months away, they revealed these to us a few days ago...
Everyone else was right, it is the x and y chromosomes. this gen's theme is going being the birds and the bees.

GameFreak is pregnant and their baby boy X&Y is due this october.
---
Official Golbez of the pokemon black2 and white2 boards.
Official Espeon of the Eevee Corps *Special Attack to the max*
#8CrabhammarPosted 1/9/2013 12:35:36 PM
lilaschildkrote posted...
at first i thought you got your 3 axes
x axis
y axis
z axis
3D to play with them being the 1st 3D pokemon games

But then i realized october is 9 months away, they revealed these to us a few days ago...
Everyone else was right, it is the x and y chromosomes. this gen's theme is going being the birds and the bees.

GameFreak is pregnant and their baby boy X&Y is due this october.

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9... if you use PowerFAQs, ask me how to change your quoting style STAT!
PSN: Bluechacho
#9SBNetopirPosted 1/9/2013 12:36:29 PM
ScottThang posted...
People don't seem to realize that these could be double meanings. It does help that, in some animals, there exists a Z chromosome. It's kind of like last gen, where Black/White could both refer to the colors of Reshiram and Zekrom, as well as the whole "black and white morality" issue discussed in the games.

Isn't the Z chromosome part of a ZV or ZW or something like that system? In that case, the sequel games could be Pokemon Z and Pokemon V/W.
#10Leo_ColtPosted 1/9/2013 12:38:02 PM(edited)
Pokémon website
An all-new 3D Pokémon adventure