This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The "XYZ axes" idea on account of the games being 3D doesn't really make sense

#11TruePowerSeekerPosted 1/9/2013 12:37:38 PM
SBNetopir posted...
Going by that logic, Gold and Silver's names didn't make any sense because you weren't a miner in those games. That said, the chromosome theory is still present. Nothing's preventing Game Freak from making Pokemon XY and Pokemon XX.

Then after that they can make Pokemon XXX
---
http://tinyurl.com/abm7qr6
#12SBNetopirPosted 1/9/2013 12:39:04 PM
TruePowerSeeker posted...
SBNetopir posted...
Going by that logic, Gold and Silver's names didn't make any sense because you weren't a miner in those games. That said, the chromosome theory is still present. Nothing's preventing Game Freak from making Pokemon XY and Pokemon XX.

Then after that they can make Pokemon XXX

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was doing that already.
#13hkimxiPosted 1/9/2013 12:45:59 PM
I'm pretty sure GameFreak named it Pokemon X and Y to correspond with the three axes X, Y, and Z, but that also gave them the opportunity to use X and Y for genetics if you want to think of it that way.

Think of when the Nintendo DS came out, there were a few games with subtitles that started with the letters D and S, such as Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

When the 3DS came out, some of the games had the 3D motif in the names as well, such as Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

It's not too much to think that GameFreak used X and Y for both the purposes of the axes and genetics. I'd say that they used it for the axes more so than genetics because of the fact that it's their first 3DS game, and they usually have 3 games, hence the perfect fit for the 3 axes.

After they decided that, they probably found another cleaver way to use X and Y, thus giving it a genetic overtone, but there is no evidence to that either besides X and Y. There is no indication in the trailer of there being some sort of genetic meaning behind everything. Sure, it might be imbedded in the story, but no one will know until they play the game. In the light of all that, the most obvious conclusion we have is that they called it X, Y, and potentially Z because of the fact that the three axes make up the three dimensions which make up the 3D that is a main feature of the 3DS. If the genetic stuff comes into play, then they had a double meaning, but for now, it's all about 3D.
---
PSN: hkimxi
#14NarutoPosted 1/9/2013 12:53:14 PM
If the whole axis thing the intention, they should launch with three games. Right now, we're stuck with Pokemon 2D, unless if they're actively planning for Pokemon Z right now. That would mean that they're purposely gimping early adopters.
#15joker120Posted 1/9/2013 12:56:40 PM
I'm leaning towards is being more about genetics as the Japanese titles have a double helix in them. X and Y being apart of the 3D plain is mere coincidence.
---
soul silver FC:1505 7978 9391; pearl FC:3911 0786 2278
#16goldwPosted 1/9/2013 1:11:39 PM(edited)
I'm leaning towards is being more about genetics as the Japanese titles have a double helix in them. X and Y being apart of the 3D plain is mere coincidence.

Why can't it be both?

Double meanings, yo.
---
The Elbow of Peace shall cast judgement on the guilty
#17GoldenSun3DSPosted 1/9/2013 1:13:27 PM
It does make sense because they were putting a bunch of emphasis on 3D in the trailer by saying "3D" a lot.
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4!
http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/ | http://facebook.com/pages/Operation-Sunrise/371417546251291