This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#1reyray0709Posted 1/9/2013 2:43:35 PM
Untouchable. Nothing bad can be said about these generations?
---
Umvc3 Teams: Zero, Vergil, Wesker - Nova, RR, Strider - Hawkeye, Morrigan, Doom - 3rd strike: Yun & Yang
PSN and GT: reyray0709.
#2jayman7Posted 1/9/2013 2:44:51 PM
Nostalgia is the only reason some people (note: not all people) consider them "untouchable".
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3mb257Posted 1/9/2013 2:45:57 PM
well yeah nostalgia and also if someone hates a gen and never played it before shame on you js
---
Future Warrior Fly,Fight,Win
#4ClawiLewakPosted 1/9/2013 2:46:17 PM
A combination of nostalgia, originality and simplicity.
#5TruePowerSeekerPosted 1/9/2013 2:46:17 PM
Nostalgia goggles.

The games were honestly really bad compared to the modern ones. They had tons of glitches and issues in them with graphical bugs. However for their time they were great.
---
http://tinyurl.com/abm7qr6
#6SlimeStackPosted 1/9/2013 2:46:46 PM
Gen 1 is bad in the sense that it doesn't benefit from the many, many improvements and fixes the games received over the years.

Gen 2 is bad in kinda the same way, but we can't forget how small Johto and Kanto are in that game, with the bad level balance, lack of story, etc.
#7keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 2:48:00 PM
A lot of bad things can be said about those Gens. A lot of people are just blinded by nostalgia. FYI, I also grew up with Gen 1, but I've never been one for nostalgia. Any time I try to play Blue again, I remember all of the features and aspects of the battle system that weren't in it, and I can't bring myself to play it. Also, no running shoes. And the Kanto region was SO bland.
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#8HiddenDoorwayPosted 1/9/2013 2:48:46 PM
Nostalgia goggles.

The original R/B/Y are incredibly flawed, but FR/LG fixed most of those problems.

G/S/C is just terrible, yet loved so much for some reason. Even HG/SS didn't save them. Only 100 new Pokemon and the majority of them are bland and/or forgettable. It's home to the most forgettable Pokemon of all time, Qwilfish. Not to mention Johto is just horribly designed. There are barely any trainers, you can (and most likely will) reach the Elite 4 before even cracking level 40. Yeah, you could go to Kanto, but it was an incredibly watered down version of Kanto.

Objectively, The first two gens are some of the worst.
---
I can read minds.
Just kidding, I just have good intuition.
#9keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 2:50:49 PM(edited)
TruePowerSeeker posted...
Nostalgia goggles.

The games were honestly really bad compared to the modern ones. They had tons of glitches and issues in them with graphical bugs. However for their time they were great.

Also this. Horrible, horrible glitches. Though Missingno will always have a special place in my heart...
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#10TheCoolzPosted 1/9/2013 2:50:02 PM
To be fair, during the time of their release, they were exceptional games. Rating it again now would be unfair.
---
Diamond FC: 4854 3640 0601