This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#121CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 7:27:12 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
The picture he posted did.

The picture said nothing about when you obtain dive

It said a large majority of Route 124 could be avoided by Diving. You must pass Route 124 to reach Mossdeep. Reach Mossdeep, beat Gym, earn Dive. Nullified by the fact THAT YOU CAN FLY AT THAT POINT.

durr hurr

The picture maker was clearly referring to the large dive spots after Mossdeep, there's a reason he circled everything from Route 124 onwards and not just 124.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#122TruePowerSeekerPosted 1/9/2013 7:28:54 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
TruePowerSeeker posted...
CM_Ponch posted...
From: itzzjustinYEAH | Posted: 1/9/2013 6:11:42 PM | #102
SMASHKING84 posted...
gen 1 sucked gameplay wise,imo though gen 2 love i get,it's my second favorite gen.

JUST ONCE i wish people would worship gen 3...

Too much damn water.

http://i.imgur.com/JOcDT.png
As opposed to
-Viridian Forest
-Mt. Moon
-Rock Tunnel
-Victory Road

There was a lot of water in that game. Granted I still enjoyed it. Also it made sense with the plot why it was half land half water.

LOL that picture proves that there's only one FORCED water area
and it also proves that the whirl islands has more water then the biggest water area.

but hey let's not forget the whirl islands,the area out side mahogany town,tojoh falls,pallet town to cinabar and cinabar to seafoam islands is forced on you.

yes gen 3 has more water but almost all of it is optional

I never said it was forced. I didn't mind it and didn't really think much about it. I figured half for Kyogre half for Groudon
---
http://tinyurl.com/abm7qr6
#123CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 7:29:08 PM
Opinions opinions.

It's an opinion that Day and Night restricted you from catching certain pokemon during certain times of the day?
It's an opinion that the GSC Kanto gym leaders were underleveled?
It's an opinion that RSE added to the berry, item, and breeding systems?
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#124FuzzyJelloPosted 1/9/2013 7:35:11 PM
The problem with criticizing Gen 1 is that it's very difficult to do so without either punishing it for not having the later games features; since most of the original games glaring problems have long since been fixed, it's redundant to bring them up again.

The other half of the problem is attacking the Pokemon for being badly built for 4th and 5th gen play environments, which ignores that the first and second gen pokemon were built for a simpler battle system, only meant to compete with each other within that simpler system and smaller roster, and most importantly for a different stat allocation system where, to describe stat EXP in a phrase, every full evolved Pokemon was guaranteed to break 300 HP. Again, punishing the older designs for things that didn't exist or matter when they were actually designed.

Gen 2 falls into similar traps in places, since it was GameFreak's first attempt at turning their one hit wonder into a repeatable mold. There are bound to be bad choices and hardware limitations.
#125DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 7:44:16 PM(edited)
You know if there is a link for that map without the explanations? That really makes Hoenn feel hunormous. I mean, the in-game map did a good job at that. Not to mention, pretty much every detail is on it.

I'm still pretty much stuck in Gen III, so I love it. I have 100 hours logged on White and one playthrough of Diamond, but that's it. My FR I'm doing has almost 300 hours on it with all Kanto Pokemon above 47. I'm doing a mono water run on LG. I'm currently taking on Victory Road in Sapphire and Ruby (both batteries are dead though, which kind of is a damper, but whatever.). And I lost my Emerald somewhere in the move last year. I do think I have it, I just can't find it.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#126SMASHKING84Posted 1/9/2013 7:38:44 PM
I never said it was forced. yes i know that but i was pointing it out to the gen 3 haters.
why exactly is something 100% optional bad?

It's like the people who whined about super guide and similar ideas. How dare a developer give players an option?

Let's think about this:if there wasn't any water in the game,then there probally wouldn't be any water pokemon.
Let's not forget the real world, a.k.a earth is 70% water.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
Pokemon Black 2 [OU rules player] Rosa:4170-2970-6954 PM Me if you add me.
#127DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 7:42:46 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
The problem with criticizing Gen 1 is that it's very difficult to do so without either punishing it for not having the later games features; since most of the original games glaring problems have long since been fixed, it's redundant to bring them up again.

The other half of the problem is attacking the Pokemon for being badly built for 4th and 5th gen play environments, which ignores that the first and second gen pokemon were built for a simpler battle system, only meant to compete with each other within that simpler system and smaller roster, and most importantly for a different stat allocation system where, to describe stat EXP in a phrase, every full evolved Pokemon was guaranteed to break 300 HP. Again, punishing the older designs for things that didn't exist or matter when they were actually designed.

Gen 2 falls into similar traps in places, since it was GameFreak's first attempt at turning their one hit wonder into a repeatable mold. There are bound to be bad choices and hardware limitations.

That's the point most sane people in this topic are trying to make. Gen 1 was good for its time. It's just not now because it's a law of technology. Whatever comes later should theoretically be better than it's predecessors, which is completely the case in Pokemon. It's what should be expected with all sorts of technology, or otherwise why even make new technology.

I don't think any of use Genthreers, Genfourers, or Genfivers are saying we didn't enjoy Pokemon RBY. It's just eventually, you have to move on and quit living in the past or you get left behind. If Gen 1 is your favorite (memories, nostalgia, etc), then I'm okay with that. If you try to suggest that Gen 1 had better gameplay than a new game with more features, and thus conclude that Gen V sucks because Gen 1 was the better game, then I do have a problem with that.

If you actually played Gen V and legitimately didn't like it, then good for you. If you haven't played it, but whine how Trubbish sucks, then that is just being stubborn.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#128TruePowerSeekerPosted 1/9/2013 7:47:32 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
I never said it was forced. yes i know that but i was pointing it out to the gen 3 haters.
why exactly is something 100% optional bad?

It's like the people who whined about super guide and similar ideas. How dare a developer give players an option?

Let's think about this:if there wasn't any water in the game,then there probally wouldn't be any water pokemon.
Let's not forget the real world, a.k.a earth is 70% water.

Also the part of Japan it was based off of is just a southern island.
---
http://tinyurl.com/abm7qr6
#129TehTrumpCardPosted 1/9/2013 7:48:49 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
Opinions opinions.

It's an opinion that Day and Night restricted you from catching certain pokemon during certain times of the day?

Yes actually, those are all opinions because you can argue that.

-It made things more realistic.

-The Kanto Gym Leaders shouldn't be more powerful that the E4 is supposed to be the final challenge for trainers.

-Nothing new was added to the berry system that wasn't already there except possibly the Leppa Berry/Lum Berry and that any of the other new berries are solely there for the sake of Pokemon Contest. The only new items are the Choice Band, Herbs, and the Broken Soul Dew. Nothing was added to breeding other than the Incenses which already exist as other items, to get Azurill.
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#130Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 7:48:54 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
Opinions opinions.

No. That one isn't.

This one is. As I found their levels fine. The whole point of Kanto was to let you swtich your team around. That's why the levels reduce a bit. If they kept going higher, they would get ridiculous. Seriously, try it. Hack the game and keep raising levels. It gets silly, and any Pokemon that's not like 50-55 is unusable by the time you reach Kanto.

RSE did add to the breeding, but not really much to items. Sure, there were more, but that's to be expected. And speaking of berries, RSE had a problem with this and made the berry system more irritating. Grabbing the berries from each place is nicer than constantly planting them. Not to mention that R/S had a game breakingly bad glitch with them that made them unusable. Not everyone had Emerald. I didn't. I still don't.

All of the games had disappointing aspects at areas. There's no point in exaggerating them. It's annoying actually. Liking one less or more than an other is fine, I don't get why you need to ***** to other people about them not liking ones as much as you.
---
Jimbo.