This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#131imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 7:52:41 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
CM_Ponch posted...
Opinions opinions.

It's an opinion that Day and Night restricted you from catching certain pokemon during certain times of the day?
It's an opinion that the GSC Kanto gym leaders were underleveled?
It's an opinion that RSE added to the berry, item, and breeding systems?

No. That one isn't.

This one is. As I found their levels fine. The whole point of Kanto was to let you swtich your team around. That's why the levels reduce a bit. If they kept going higher, they would get ridiculous. Seriously, try it. Hack the game and keep raising levels. It gets silly, and any Pokemon that's not like 50-55 is unusable by the time you reach Kanto.

RSE did add to the breeding, but not really much to items. Sure, there were more, but that's to be expected. And speaking of berries, RSE had a problem with this and made the berry system more irritating. Grabbing the berries from each place is nicer than constantly planting them. Not to mention that R/S had a game breakingly bad glitch with them that made them unusable. Not everyone had Emerald. I didn't. I still don't.

All of the games had disappointing aspects at areas. There's no point in exaggerating them. It's annoying actually. Liking one less or more than an other is fine, I don't get why you need to ***** to other people about them not liking ones as much as you.

Are you Jimbo from LUE2?
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#132CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 7:56:35 PM
This one is. As I found their levels fine. The whole point of Kanto was to let you swtich your team around. That's why the levels reduce a bit. If they kept going higher, they would get ridiculous. Seriously, try it. Hack the game and keep raising levels. It gets silly, and any Pokemon that's not like 50-55 is unusable by the time you reach Kanto.

If you switched your team around in Kanto, you were making it even harder for your team to reach Red's level. The biggest problem with making a new team for Kanto is that you have no trainers to battle against that will provide good exp for your new pokemon. The wild pokemon in Kanto were even worse.

All of the games had disappointing aspects at areas. There's no point in exaggerating them. It's annoying actually. Liking one less or more than an other is fine, I don't get why you need to ***** to other people about them not liking ones as much as you.

I have no problem with someone likeing Gen 2 more than gen 3, but when bs reasons such as "Gen 3 not adding anything and taking away what GSC did right" that's when I have a problem
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#133SegavsCapcomPosted 1/9/2013 8:24:28 PM
Nostalgia. Lots and lots of nostalgia.

By themselves, Gen I and II are pretty sub par. But sprinkled with nostalgia, and they're masterpieces.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#134DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 8:27:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwiHhKlPaU

That is a Genwunner
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#135Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/9/2013 8:29:15 PM
Gen 1 was the creation point.

For very obvious reasons it isn't going to be hated.

Gen II isn't as much because 99% of the mechanics in the combat system and other started in this gen.

Whether it be the special DF/ATK split, breeding to other. It helped build a solid foundation onwards.

That isn't to say the future gens didn't impact the game in some major way but to the same degree I'd argue they aren't.
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#136Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 8:35:06 PM
imdebomb2 posted...
Bronze_Stuff posted...
CM_Ponch posted...
Opinions opinions.

It's an opinion that Day and Night restricted you from catching certain pokemon during certain times of the day?
It's an opinion that the GSC Kanto gym leaders were underleveled?
It's an opinion that RSE added to the berry, item, and breeding systems?

No. That one isn't.

RSE did add to the breeding, but not really much to items. Sure, there were more, but that's to be expected. And speaking of berries, RSE had a problem with this and made the berry system more irritating. Grabbing the berries from each place is nicer than constantly planting them. Not to mention that R/S had a game breakingly bad glitch with them that made them unusable. Not everyone had Emerald. I didn't. I still don't.

Are you Jimbo from LUE2?

I wish. :D
---
Jimbo.
#137Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 8:40:54 PM
If you switched your team around in Kanto, you were making it even harder for your team to reach Red's level. The biggest problem with making a new team for Kanto is that you have no trainers to battle against that will provide good exp for your new pokemon. The wild pokemon in Kanto were even worse.

Maybe so, but I feel like level scaling is something GF is consistently bad with. In all of them. My levels have never been on par in the series. G/S/C was the only one where I was on par with levels. Granted Kanto had some level problems, but at least it was a post game. Too low is better than too high. Red is the one that is the problem. Not everyone else.

But if you're going to pick out a flaw for G/S/C, how about the fact that the game kinda expects you to have Red and Blue? You can't even evolve most of the Pokemon because there's no real way to get the old stones for instance. So if you wanted to use Vileplume? Well too bad, you can't get one until Kanto. You have no choice but to use Sunflora. Even if you did, you have NO OTHER LEAF STONE IN THE GAME. WTF is that ****!? That's... lame. That's a real flaw. Not this garbage people bring up...
---
Jimbo.
#138CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 9:11:03 PM
-It made things more realistic.

In a world with magical creatures and incredible PC transportation technology

-The Kanto Gym Leaders shouldn't be more powerful that the E4 is supposed to be the final challenge for trainers.

Then they shouldn't have been placed after the E4.

-Nothing new was added to the berry system that wasn't already there except possibly the Leppa Berry/Lum Berry and that any of the other new berries are solely there for the sake of Pokemon Contest.

I'm going to quote you, Please don't make comments if you don't know what you're talking about.
So you're ignoring that berries went from status cures to competitive items? Or am I just imagining salic berries?

The only new items are the Choice Band, Herbs, and the Broken Soul Dew. Nothing was added to breeding other than the Incenses which already exist as other items, to get Azurill.

Still advancements
---
#139CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 9:12:45 PM
But if you're going to pick out a flaw for G/S/C, how about the fact that the game kinda expects you to have Red and Blue? You can't even evolve most of the Pokemon because there's no real way to get the old stones for instance. So if you wanted to use Vileplume? Well too bad, you can't get one until Kanto. You have no choice but to use Sunflora. Even if you did, you have NO OTHER LEAF STONE IN THE GAME. WTF is that ****!? That's... lame. That's a real flaw. Not this garbage people bring up...

They can both be flaws
---
#140VashVhexXPosted 1/9/2013 9:13:03 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65140534

My thoughts on that exact question. (Because I don't feel like writing that all out here, again)
---
Interesting parable, male sibling