This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#141Dabrikishaw15Posted 1/9/2013 8:16:42 PM
Nostalgia is a big part of it. Unfortunately, it's hard to discern between nostalgic genwunners and people with respectable opinions.

---
Fact: all fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.
http://i.minus.com/ixGBrDD4hclHn.gif
#142HerPandaPosted 1/9/2013 8:18:49 PM
Gen 1 and 2 are my favorite gens.

It's not "nostalgia," I just enjoyed them more. The gameplay of Pokemon that I enjoy is making a team of 6 Pokemon whose designs I really, really like, and raise them to be my very own team. I love the simplicity and the art direction most 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon have, so I actually wanted to collect and catch most of them. As gen 3 came out, maybe only half of the designs really spoke to me. Gen 4, even less. By gen 5, I could barely scrap together a handful of designs that I really liked.

I don't care about the meta-game, competitive battling, balance, tier lists, breeding, etc., I just care about catching and raising Pokemon I think are cool and having fun with that. For me, the gameplay only got staler and weaker because there were less and less Pokemon I cared for. I started to get bored of the tired and true formula, because the new designs weren't as appealing to me. Some started to look like Digimon, others like Spectrobes, and some just...don't look like Pokemon, or appeal to me in general.

Sure, they added a bunch of Pokemon, polished the games, added features, balanced out types and attacks, added more strategy, added more plot and etc., but the draw for me is gone now.

I no longer want to catch them all.
#143TehTrumpCardPosted 1/9/2013 8:21:38 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
In a world with magical creatures and incredible PC transportation technology

In a world that replicates the real one with the only difference being you can legally catch wild animals and have them fight other ones.

Yes.

Then they shouldn't have been placed after the E4.

Someone already answered this

I'm going to quote you, Please don't make comments if you don't know what you're talking about.
So you're ignoring that berries went from status cures to competitive items? Or am I just imagining salic berries?

It's an Event Berry. Sorry I never played Coliseum or XD.

Still advancements

Just 4, and 1 of these isn't even useful in later Gens. Another is just banned altogether. :D
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#144Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 8:21:54 PM
Still advancements

I wouldn't call needing to breed a Pokemon with an item to get a new one an advancement. It's terrible design, as there's no real way for a person to know about that without a guide. Especially if you never played Pokemon before Gen III.
---
Jimbo.
#145Shadow_CharzardPosted 1/9/2013 8:22:37 PM
Nostalgia cigarettes.

Kanto was the first region, and many people cling to that and believe it's the best because of it. Gen II included Johto as well as beloved Kanto, so there's more to love. Gen III was a whirlwind of changes--*coughcoughimprovementscoughcough*--, one of the more disliked changes being that it moved away from recurring regions of the past. That is, as far as I know, why a lot of "fans" are such die-hard Gen <III lovers.

Gen III has always been my favourite, and I just hate how much unjustified flack it gets :/
#146Faust_8Posted 1/9/2013 8:26:26 PM
I have no special love for Gen 1 aside from being the first. It was great back then, I have memories of me and my friends, but that's it. Just the beginning and happy memories.

Gen 2 was a big step from 1 though. Introduced breeding, Dark and Steel types, reigned in the Psychic types, legendaries were cool, had 16 Gyms to beat, split Special into Sp. Attack and Sp. Def...it was a really great next step.

But obviously the games have been getting better with each one, so I don't sit here and say they're "better" than the newer ones. Like for example it still sucked that in Gen 2, certain Types were locked into ALWAYS being Physical or Special.

I still wish each game let you beat the past 8 Gyms after the Elite Four though. Really adds to the game's length.
---
The supernatural says that if you act a certain way you might avoid suffering. But reality says you came from the stars...
#147F1areaGamanPosted 1/9/2013 8:29:20 PM
Pokemon Red is one of my favorite games of all time, but I know it wasn't the best game even at the time of it's release. Very glitchy, sometimes ugly (even by Gameboy standards) but it had more depth than most Gameboy RPGs.

However, Pokemon Gold and Silver deserve the praise, sales, and critical reception it got.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 2923-8369-0008 SoulSilver FC: 1119-2477-4355 Diamond FC: 0002-1844-7966
PSN: Flareyman
#148Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 8:32:13 PM
Shadow_Charzard posted...
Nostalgia cigarettes.

Kanto was the first region, and many people cling to that and believe it's the best because of it. Gen II included Johto as well as beloved Kanto, so there's more to love. Gen III was a whirlwind of changes--*coughcoughimprovementscoughcough*--, one of the more disliked changes being that it moved away from recurring regions of the past. That is, as far as I know, why a lot of "fans" are such die-hard Gen <III lovers.

Gen III has always been my favourite, and I just hate how much unjustified flack it gets :/

See...? No. Because there are some bad things that came with it. The IV system is kinda irritating because it has a much larger range. I'd rather it be closer to the old one in that regard. The best thing I liked about the overhaul was the fact that Special.Attack was given its own IV. EVs kinda annoy me too. Primarily because of the method used to raise them is really irritating, and again you need a guide to know which is which.

There are problems with the changes, so acting like they are 100% improvements is ridiculous. A 100% improvement would be something like special getting split, or Gen4's Special/Physical split for types. Sure, some got nerfed because of it, but it largely made the game less confusing or more balanced. This is why I refuse to act like 1 gen is better or worse than the other, because with some good things brought to the table, dumb features were as well.
---
Jimbo.
#149DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 8:51:31 PM
I wouldn't call needing to breed a Pokemon with an item to get a new one an advancement. It's terrible design, as there's no real way for a person to know about that without a guide. Especially if you never played Pokemon before Gen III.

To be fair, that's one flaw with everything Gen II onwards. The trading in Gen 1 kind of had a problem with this, but if you got to level 50 or so and it hasn't evolved you can probably try something else beyond leveling it up. Not to mention, there is a character that references trade evolutions.

Even with Gen II, some of the evolutions of old Pokemon were a guess. Not only to you need to trade a lot of them, but they need to hold certain items now?
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#150Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 8:54:23 PM
DarkDragon386 posted...

To be fair, that's one flaw with everything Gen II onwards. The trading in Gen 1 kind of had a problem with this, but if you got to level 50 or so and it hasn't evolved you can probably try something else beyond leveling it up. Not to mention, there is a character that references trade evolutions.

Even with Gen II, some of the evolutions of old Pokemon were a guess. Not only to you need to trade a lot of them, but they need to hold certain items now?

Right, in R/B/Y this is at least referenced. So at least you know it exists. But it was still bad. But adding MORE of those? That's even worse. It was ridiculous in Gen 2 as well. But breeding takes even LONGER than trading (with an item too)
---
Jimbo.