This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#151DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 8:55:11 PM
Some started to look like Digimon, others like Spectrobes, and some just...don't look like Pokemon, or appeal to me in general.

The rest of your post is reasonable. You just didn't like the Pokemon that were being introduced. You didn't trash on any of them. But, I have never understood this. What exactly is a Pokemon supposed to look like? Being a Digimon nerd as well, I just don't see it. If you know any of the new names, give me an example of a Pokemon that looks like a Digimon. The only thing I could think of is Scyther and Snimon, and even then Pokemon came out first.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#152CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 8:55:55 PM
In a world that replicates the real one with the only difference being you can legally catch wild animals and have them fight other ones.

Yes.

We have the ability to store beings in PCs?
Pokemon technology is far more advanced than ours.

It's an Event Berry. Sorry I never played Coliseum or XD.

it still happened, you can't write it off because you didn't have one

Just 4, and 1 of these isn't even useful in later Gens. Another is just banned altogether. :D

So if something from Gen 2 is no longer useful we're not going to count it? Cool.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#153AuroraSonicBeamPosted 1/9/2013 8:56:35 PM
Shadow_Charzard posted...
Nostalgia cigarettes.

Kanto was the first region, and many people cling to that and believe it's the best because of it. Gen II included Johto as well as beloved Kanto, so there's more to love. Gen III was a whirlwind of changes--*coughcoughimprovementscoughcough*--, one of the more disliked changes being that it moved away from recurring regions of the past. That is, as far as I know, why a lot of "fans" are such die-hard Gen <III lovers.

Gen III has always been my favourite, and I just hate how much unjustified flack it gets :/

Opinions don't have to be justified. I loved Gen 3 a lot but it was my least favorite.

Faust_8 posted...
I have no special love for Gen 1 aside from being the first. It was great back then, I have memories of me and my friends, but that's it. Just the beginning and happy memories.

Gen 2 was a big step from 1 though. Introduced breeding, Dark and Steel types, reigned in the Psychic types, legendaries were cool, had 16 Gyms to beat, split Special into Sp. Attack and Sp. Def...it was a really great next step.

But obviously the games have been getting better with each one, so I don't sit here and say they're "better" than the newer ones. Like for example it still sucked that in Gen 2, certain Types were locked into ALWAYS being Physical or Special.

I still wish each game let you beat the past 8 Gyms after the Elite Four though. Really adds to the game's length.

Yeah, that continued until gen 4 remember? -____-
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#154Noke0Posted 1/9/2013 9:01:27 PM
Gen 3 onwards...horrible horrible names.
---
Nintendo ID - oBluEx ; GT: oBluEx
Currently Playing: Many PC, PS 1-2, Xbox, Nintendo and various handheld games.
#155derrickrosefan1Posted 1/9/2013 9:03:23 PM
Gen 3 & 4 were meh. Gen 5 redeemed the series. Let's see what Gen 6 provides.
---
DRose pls..
#156DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 9:04:26 PM
Right, in R/B/Y this is at least referenced. So at least you know it exists. But it was still bad. But adding MORE of those? That's even worse. It was ridiculous in Gen 2 as well. But breeding takes even LONGER than trading (with an item too)

I agree that Gen III was bad with this as well, but Gen IV was awful with this. Especially with the item ones. It says on their description that it is loved by a certain Pokemon. Well, that's kind of vague. Granted Electrilizer and Magmarizer can be figured out relatively easy, but what about razor claw, razor fang, protector, etc. And if you finally do figure out what Pokemon loves that item, what do you do with it? Do you trade it like before? You try trading a Razor Claw Sneasel, but nothing. Do you level it up? Levelling up a Rhydon with protector does nothing.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#157Ari917Posted 1/9/2013 9:04:27 PM
HerPanda posted...
Some started to look like Digimon, others like Spectrobes, and some just...don't look like Pokemon, or appeal to me in general.

http://devcentral.f5.com/weblogs/images/devcentral_f5_com/weblogs/macvittie/WindowsLiveWriter/LoadbalancerversusApplicationDeliveryCon_3994/Not-again-picard_2.jpg

I'm really sick of that argument. Ignoring the fact that none of the Pokemon really look like any Digimon and vice versa it really holds no grounds. What makes a Pokemon a Pokemon and a Digimon a Digimon? Concepts in both aren't exclusive to them, hell, monster collecting wasn't even started by Pokemon. Really guys, if you're going to dislike the new Pokemon, fine, but do not compare them to Digimon because that's an argument that is terribly flawed.
#158Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 9:10:38 PM
DarkDragon386 posted...
Right, in R/B/Y this is at least referenced. So at least you know it exists. But it was still bad. But adding MORE of those? That's even worse. It was ridiculous in Gen 2 as well. But breeding takes even LONGER than trading (with an item too)

I agree that Gen III was bad with this as well, but Gen IV was awful with this. Especially with the item ones. It says on their description that it is loved by a certain Pokemon. Well, that's kind of vague. Granted Electrilizer and Magmarizer can be figured out relatively easy, but what about razor claw, razor fang, protector, etc. And if you finally do figure out what Pokemon loves that item, what do you do with it? Do you trade it like before? You try trading a Razor Claw Sneasel, but nothing. Do you level it up? Levelling up a Rhydon with protector does nothing.

Yeah, WTF was up with that? And even the area leveling ones were ridiculous as well. I don't get why you'd even do this stuff. Hopefully Gen 6 learns that stuff like this is dumb.
---
Jimbo.
#159TehTrumpCardPosted 1/9/2013 9:10:45 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
We have the ability to store beings in PCs?
Pokemon technology is far more advanced than ours.

Since when have animals evolved within their life time? Since when have children not grown-up while away from home? At what point iss a child able to stand up to an entire criminal organiaztion and dominate them each and every time?

Answer: Game Logic.

it still happened, you can't write it off because you didn't have one

I'm not the only one who didn't. I'm not discrediting it but it's similar to a free-to-play MMO where you can buy items to give you a leg-up on someone else.

Just because Deoxys is in Gen 3 doesn't mean people got to use and it also doesn't mean people think it's fair considering you have to go to a very specific, real-life location to get your hands on one.

So if something from Gen 2 is no longer useful we're not going to count it? Cool.

Almost every item in Gen 2 is in later Generations (with the berries getting renamed).
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#160Ari917Posted 1/9/2013 9:17:39 PM(edited)
Bronze_Stuff posted...
DarkDragon386 posted...

Yeah, WTF was up with that? And even the area leveling ones were ridiculous as well. I don't get why you'd even do this stuff. Hopefully Gen 6 learns that stuff like this is dumb.

It should be noted, in Black and White 2 they fix it with the profesor telling you evolution methods over the xtransceiver.