This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#161Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 9:19:14 PM
Ari917 posted...
Bronze_Stuff posted...
DarkDragon386 posted...
Right, in R/B/Y this is at least referenced. So at least you know it exists. But it was still bad. But adding MORE of those? That's even worse. It was ridiculous in Gen 2 as well. But breeding takes even LONGER than trading (with an item too)

I agree that Gen III was bad with this as well, but Gen IV was awful with this. Especially with the item ones. It says on their description that it is loved by a certain Pokemon. Well, that's kind of vague. Granted Electrilizer and Magmarizer can be figured out relatively easy, but what about razor claw, razor fang, protector, etc. And if you finally do figure out what Pokemon loves that item, what do you do with it? Do you trade it like before? You try trading a Razor Claw Sneasel, but nothing. Do you level it up? Levelling up a Rhydon with protector does nothing.

Yeah, WTF was up with that? And even the area leveling ones were ridiculous as well. I don't get why you'd even do this stuff. Hopefully Gen 6 learns that stuff like this is dumb.

It should be noted, in Black and White 2 they fix it with the profesor telling you evolution methods over the xtransceiver.

They better keep that. I didn't play B&W2.
---
Jimbo.
#162CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 9:21:32 PM(edited)
Since when have animals evolved within their life time? Since when have children not grown-up while away from home? At what point iss a child able to stand up to an entire criminal organiaztion and dominate them each and every time?

Answer: Game Logic.

Thanks for adding onto my point

I'm not the only one who didn't. I'm not discrediting it but it's similar to a free-to-play MMO where you can buy items to give you a leg-up on someone else.

Just because Deoxys is in Gen 3 doesn't mean people got to use and it also doesn't mean people think it's fair considering you have to go to a very specific, real-life location to get your hands on one

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, and you did discredit it. You literally said that Gen 3 added nothing to berries but ignored that they were made much more competitive

Almost every item in Gen 2 is in later Generations (with the berries getting renamed).

PokeGear, the terrible PC system, Kurt's pokeballs
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#163Stun427Posted 1/9/2013 9:34:12 PM
Topic was an interesting read but I'll just leave my sig here for everybody.
---
Fun fact: Playing the nostalgia goggles card shows you have nothing of value to say and are grasping at straws to argue with someone.
#164TehTrumpCardPosted 1/9/2013 9:37:10 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
Thanks for adding onto my point.

Didn't realize you had one. I simply posted and you started quoting me. And then you came to another topic, possibly butthurt, where I had posted and started quoting me again.

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, and you did discredit it. You literally said that Gen 3 added nothing to berries but ignored that they were made much more competitive

Most of those berries weren't even useful as few people had access and the were hardly ever used on the appropriate Pokemon and when they were, it didn't activate effectively. (When I say effectively I mean give the Pokemon an edge it otherwise wouldn't have had because that is what hold items are supposed to do. And berries didn't even begin to mainstreamed until Gen 4 introduced the super-effective berries.

PokeGear, the terrible PC system, Kurt's pokeballs

The PokeNav is the PokeGear without telling time.
Didn't realize the PC was an actual item.
Almost every item in Gen 2 is in later Generation(with the berries getting renamed).

I knew I said almost... If you want to get technical. It is possible to have Kurt's Pokeballs in later gens. Not as usable items but they are visible on Pokemon that have been caught with them.
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#165CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 9:42:38 PM
Didn't realize you had one. I simply posted and you started quoting me. And then you came to another topic, possibly butthurt, where I had posted and started quoting me again.

you seem butthurt

Most of those berries weren't even useful

lol, keep telling yourself that

The PokeNav is the PokeGear without telling time.

It replaced it with the much more useful condition checker
---
#166TehTrumpCardPosted 1/9/2013 9:46:19 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
It replaced it with the much more useful condition checker

If the condition checker only applies to contest Pokemon, how is it more useful than telling the time so you can evolve Pokemon, explore Shoal Cave, and etc?
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#167CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 9:48:21 PM
how is it more useful than telling the time so you can evolve Pokemon

Do you not own a clock? Does the sun not rise?
---
#168Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 9:49:43 PM
Stun427 posted...
Topic was an interesting read but I'll just leave my sig here for everybody.

Why yes, I'd agree with that. I mean, all of these games have flaws that I don't like. I really hate the way G/S/C has the stupid telephones and how half-assed they are. "HEY! I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT I FOUGHT A RATTATA! IT WAS SO CLOSE... K... BYE." Sure, they'd call you back for a battle on occasion, and that was cool, but it was not worth putting up with their nonsense. Thank god it was fixed later where you would just see a flag that showed they wanted to fight.

Or I hated the weather effects and how they felt compelled to remind you of the weather each turn... I get it... I'm not going to assume it stopped if it never told me it was still going. Leave me alone!

I can still enjoy the games, even with their flaws. But damn... Some people act like if you dislike the newer ones in any form or fashion that you're crazy or something. It's like how the Final Fantasy fanbase kept screaming stuff like this, and then I realized... I dislike most of the Final Fantasy series.

If that keeps up, I might just realize I hate Pokemon too.
---
Jimbo.
#169Jimothy_KricketPosted 1/9/2013 9:50:04 PM
Hirokey123 posted...
They get respect because together they laid the core foundation of the series, the other games built off what those two gens started. From a strictly gameplay perspective they are arguably the most inferior but that's only to be expected it's like comparing the gameboy to the 3DS. Though when compared to games in their time they were actually quite impressive. In a sense it's basically you need to respect the past not berate it and spit on it because that past is the reason the better present exists. Nostalgia is also a big factor to as the majority of pokemon players started with Gen 1&2 and they don't like it when people insult their memories.

This is the answer. Nothing else needs to be said.
---
Xbl: Jimothy Kricket
@jimothy_cricket
#170roo10158Posted 1/9/2013 9:55:10 PM
well, I think Gen II is the best (no, that does NOT mean I hate everything after, I just like gen II best) because it added so many things we take for granted now a days, such as timed based events, day/night cycles, pokemon genders, etc.

another thing, like all the gens (yes, all of them are guilty), people are going to usually be biased towards the one they started with. I've seen a lot of people say Gen I was the best because they started with it, Gen II's the best because they started with it, Gen III's the best because they started with it, etc
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA