This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#21MelkacPosted 1/9/2013 2:59:53 PM
Nostalgia and the fact that they're the most famous gens...well, the fact that gen 1 is the most famous.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#22arvilinoPosted 1/9/2013 3:07:36 PM(edited)
TherianReturns posted...
I am sick of people saying "nostalgia" and act like that's a bad thing. Leave the people alone that have fond memories of playing the old games. Don't blame others that you didn't have that much of a fun childhood.

It's a problem when nostalgia it's used to fuel an argument against the newer ones. I loved playing Gen 1 and Gen 2 as a child, but I'm willing to downplay them when someone claiming the newer ones suck and are nowhere near as good as RBY or GSC..

When someone is using their Nostalgia, mostly punctuated with the "charm" and "magic" the games had in order to suggest RBY and GSC are objectively better than the rest I'm not going to respect their argument. I do respect their memories as long as it isn't focused at lambasting a later generation in the series.
#23MaurithPosted 1/9/2013 3:08:59 PM(edited)
keybladesrus posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I am sick of people saying "nostalgia" and act like that's a bad thing. Leave the people alone that have fond memories of playing the old games. Don't blame others that you didn't have that much of a fun childhood.

Nostalgia on its own is not a bad thing. When it prevents people from enjoying something new because, in their eyes, it can never live up to the originals, that is when nostalgia becomes a bad thing. Nostalgia is good as long as you're not blinded by it.

This. I just wish the "anti-nostalgia" people would stop calling the older games "bad" in retaliation to the stubborn kind of nostalgia, when the games haven't changed much at their core since, and each game has been amazing for the time and system on which they were released. The "anti-nostalgia" crew who exaggerate the flaws of the first 2 generations and basically claim that they're a load of crap are just as bad as those who snub everything that succeeded them.
---
[LoL favourites: Janna, Syndra, Rumble, Fizz, Ezreal, Miss Fortune, Katarina, Volibear, Ahri, Lee Sin, Kog'Maw, Sejuani, Wukong, Nunu, Swain]
#24imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 3:05:23 PM
Why is the original Mario and Zelda so revered?

Not because of nostalgia, that's for damn sure. Each of these games EARNED their critical acclaim, and rightly so. Any further installments are just piggybacking on the success of the first two Gens.
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#25DeaMaxwellPosted 1/9/2013 3:05:49 PM
Let's not forget that Crystal brought in the option of a female player character, which definitely endears it to a lot of female players (myself included).

Also, it has the fewest amount of absolutely god-awful pokemon designs. (Seriously, look at the newer gens. Who thought a rubbish pokemon was a good idea!? At least Muk was made of slime, and let's be real, kids LOVE SLIME.)
#26imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 3:06:40 PM
Especially if it's green!
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#27Ari917Posted 1/9/2013 3:20:27 PM(edited)
DeaMaxwell posted...

Also, it has the fewest amount of absolutely god-awful pokemon designs. (Seriously, look at the newer gens. Who thought a rubbish pokemon was a good idea!? At least Muk was made of slime, and let's be real, kids LOVE SLIME.)

Even as someone who loves Gen 2, the Pokemon were completely forgettable outside of the starters, espeon, umbreon, scizor and the legendaries. Doesn't help that the johto Pokemon mostly played second billing to kanto's.
#28imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 3:15:01 PM
I happen to remember a certain Miltank who would love to speak with you.

Pichu

Elbuzz

Houndour

Steelix

Togepi

Etc etc etc. I could go on, if you'd like.
---
#29Emp_ImOnWelfarePosted 1/9/2013 3:18:15 PM
Weren't there some Gen 2 Pokemon in Gen 1's anime before Gen 2 was announced?
#30Ari917Posted 1/9/2013 3:18:28 PM
imdebomb2 posted...
I happen to remember a certain Miltank who would love to speak with you.

Pichu

Elbuzz

Houndour

Steelix

Togepi

Etc etc etc. I could go on, if you'd like.

I'll give you pichu, togepi and that damnable miltank but the other three weren't that memorable. Hell houndour didn't even appear in johto.