This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#31imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 3:18:40 PM
Yeah - Ho-Oh, most notably.
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#32DeathSnipe777Posted 1/9/2013 3:22:04 PM
Oh, and to just clear things up, I have nothing against nostalgia. I go back and play Gen 1 and/or Gen 2 at least once or twice a year and have a blast. But I would never claim that such outdated games are objectively better than the newer generations, considering that the newer generations have improved upon everything. All that is actually debatable are design choices, and those are the most opinioniest opinions of all.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#33Milla_MaxwellPosted 1/9/2013 3:34:39 PM(edited)
imdebomb2 posted...
Why is the original Mario and Zelda so revered?

Not because of nostalgia, that's for damn sure. Each of these games EARNED their critical acclaim, and rightly so. Any further installments are just piggybacking on the success of the first two Gens.

They are both good games, but no person not blinded by nostalgia can honestly say the original Mario & Zelda are better than Mario 3/World and A Link to The Past when those games improved on the originals in every way.
---
"Wherever I may live, I remain the same person. Nothing will change." - Milla Maxwell.
#34keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 3:30:22 PM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
Oh, and to just clear things up, I have nothing against nostalgia. I go back and play Gen 1 and/or Gen 2 at least once or twice a year and have a blast. But I would never claim that such outdated games are objectively better than the newer generations, considering that the newer generations have improved upon everything. All that is actually debatable are design choices, and those are the most opinioniest opinions of all.

That is very much up to opinion. It makes me sad that Gen III's designs seem to be many peoples' least favorites. IMO, Gen III had by far the best designs.

I don't really want to get into that argument though. Those arguments get very hot, very fast.
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#35BringerOfPiePosted 1/9/2013 3:32:02 PM
Gen 1 - Associations. It's not just the nostalgia, but the fact that all your friends were into the Pokemon craze. Chances are a lot of your friends haven't kept up since, but everyone treasures those days of collecting cards, waking up at 7am to watch the anime, trading Pokemon through that hideous eyesore known as the Game Boy link cable, etc. Those experiences can never be replicated.

Gen 2 - No freaking idea, the games have aged terribly with an extremely bland region and most of its Pokemon are boring as hell and designed a lot worse than Gens 3 & 4.
#36Milla_MaxwellPosted 1/9/2013 3:34:33 PM
Emp_ImOnWelfare posted...
Weren't there some Gen 2 Pokemon in Gen 1's anime before Gen 2 was announced?

Ho-Oh

Marill

Donphan

Snubble

I THINK there was another, but I dunno
---
"Wherever I may live, I remain the same person. Nothing will change." - Milla Maxwell.
#37Leo_ColtPosted 1/9/2013 3:38:27 PM
HiddenDoorway posted...
There are barely any trainers, you can (and most likely will) reach the Elite 4 before even cracking level 40.

I'm always intrigued by this. I think the problem is that a lot of people try to play GSCHGSS like the other games, and power-grind their team when those games aren't really designed for that.
#38keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 3:42:29 PM
Milla_Maxwell posted...

Ho-Oh

Marill

Donphan

Snubble

Togepi
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#39BringerOfPiePosted 1/9/2013 3:43:02 PM(edited)
Milla_Maxwell posted...

Ho-Oh

Marill

Donphan

Snubble

The obvious one, Togepi :p

Edit: beaten
#40Scorpion122178Posted 1/9/2013 3:45:11 PM
keybladesrus posted...
TruePowerSeeker posted...
Nostalgia goggles.

The games were honestly really bad compared to the modern ones. They had tons of glitches and issues in them with graphical bugs. However for their time they were great.

Also this. Horrible, horrible glitches. Though Missingno will always have a special place in my heart...

you say that like its a bad thing. Missingno is a perfect example where even the flaws in the game are epic and nostalgic.
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, TESV Skyrim