This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#41keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 4:47:16 PM
Scorpion122178 posted...
keybladesrus posted...
TruePowerSeeker posted...
Nostalgia goggles.

The games were honestly really bad compared to the modern ones. They had tons of glitches and issues in them with graphical bugs. However for their time they were great.

Also this. Horrible, horrible glitches. Though Missingno will always have a special place in my heart...

you say that like its a bad thing. Missingno is a perfect example where even the flaws in the game are epic and nostalgic.

Hence why Missingno will always have a special place in my heart. How could you not like Kangeskan's pre-evolution with Sky Attack and two Water Guns?
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#42Hydroflame20Posted 1/9/2013 4:50:17 PM
keybladesrus posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I am sick of people saying "nostalgia" and act like that's a bad thing. Leave the people alone that have fond memories of playing the old games. Don't blame others that you didn't have that much of a fun childhood.

Nostalgia on its own is not a bad thing. When it prevents people from enjoying something new because, in their eyes, it can never live up to the originals, that is when nostalgia becomes a bad thing. Nostalgia is good as long as you're not blinded by it.

oh joy I like this allot I agree strongly such wisdom.
---
Where you see a means to destroy, I see a way to control--to dominate and harness the Reapers' power. Imagine how strong humanity would be if we controlled them
#43monkeyprince82Posted 1/9/2013 4:54:55 PM
On the subject of the show real quick was keckleon in an episode of the original show? I distinctly remember a shiny keckleon, but at the time I was like "whoa I never saw that purple thing before"

Then years later gen 3 comes out and I see a keckleon and it was like an instant flashback except this one was green and not purple....so yea was it on the show during gen 1?
#44Hirokey123Posted 1/9/2013 5:24:23 PM
Yes there were two Keckleon actually and I believe the episode took place on a ship of some kind or wait maybe it was blimp?
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#45mb257Posted 1/9/2013 5:57:24 PM
Hirokey123 posted...
They get respect because together they laid the core foundation of the series, the other games built off what those two gens started. From a strictly gameplay perspective they are arguably the most inferior but that's only to be expected it's like comparing the gameboy to the 3DS. Though when compared to games in their time they were actually quite impressive. In a sense it's basically you need to respect the past not berate it and spit on it because that past is the reason the better present exists. Nostalgia is also a big factor to as the majority of pokemon players started with Gen 1&2 and they don't like it when people insult their memories.

^This
---
Future Warrior Fly,Fight,Win
#46CheckmateD1Posted 1/9/2013 5:59:41 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter
---
http://johnfenzel.typepad.com/john_fenzels_blog/images/checkmate.jpg
#47keybladesrusPosted 1/9/2013 6:00:12 PM
Hydroflame20 posted...
keybladesrus posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I am sick of people saying "nostalgia" and act like that's a bad thing. Leave the people alone that have fond memories of playing the old games. Don't blame others that you didn't have that much of a fun childhood.

Nostalgia on its own is not a bad thing. When it prevents people from enjoying something new because, in their eyes, it can never live up to the originals, that is when nostalgia becomes a bad thing. Nostalgia is good as long as you're not blinded by it.

oh joy I like this allot I agree strongly such wisdom.

This feels like sarcasm...
---
"Let's just say they're...not okay" - Madara Uchiha
#48CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 6:00:45 PM
HiddenDoorway posted...
There are barely any trainers, you can (and most likely will) reach the Elite 4 before even cracking level 40.

I'm always intrigued by this. I think the problem is that a lot of people try to play GSCHGSS like the other games, and power-grind their team when those games aren't really designed for that.

but they're supposed to be... they're literally the only Pokemon games where this is a problem. There's also the huge gap between Red's pikachu and Blue's final pokemon.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#49imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 6:01:38 PM
Kids these days, they just don't understand....

If I had a time machine, oh boy.
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#50Vexu192Posted 1/9/2013 6:02:04 PM
Where did this sudden hatred of Gen 1 and 2 come from? Christ.

Pokemon Red and Blue are classics, without them, you wouldn't even have X or Y. The original Legend of Zelda doesn't hold a candle to modern installments but you don't see anybody debating if its a classic.

Gold and Silver were released when pokemania was at an all-time high. Think Call of Duty but multiply that times 200.

Are the older games as good as the newer ones? Probably not, but you have no right to critique someone for liking the older games just as much as the newer ones.