This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Gen 1 & 2 beloved?

#61Rook_the_RangerPosted 1/9/2013 5:17:07 PM
Benzychenz posted...
They had the least amount of bad designs. And good design doesn't mean good pokemon, Dunsparce is a good design for what it's representing.
From gen 3 onwards the style subtly changed. It's almost a more... anime look.

Sure, there were some bad ideas (Jynx, Dugtrio, Exeggcute), but the good ideas were ALL done with good designs. The problem with the later generations is that a lot of good ideas are ruined by bad designs, such as the Kami trio.

This is half the reason gen 2 is my favorite. The designs are far superior in the first two generations. Another factor is the first two generations are not as linear. After the third gym in R/B/Y or the 4th gym in G/S/C, you could choose where to go next. This gave me the feeling that I am exploring the land, not just going where the game tells me to. My biggest gripe with Black and White 2 is there are people blocking off every path except where you are supposed to go next in the story. I find this quite bland when the only places I can go are where the game tells me to.
#62CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 5:20:38 PM
From: Rook_the_Ranger | Posted: 1/9/2013 5:17:07 PM | #061
The designs are far superior in the first two generations

So good
http://i.imgur.com/34pt2.png
http://i.imgur.com/N3pOS.png

Another factor is the first two generations are not as linear. After the third gym in R/B/Y or the 4th gym in G/S/C, you could choose where to go next

No...after Surge you have to go through Rock Tunnel. After Morty you meet Jasmine, but can't battle her until going to Cianwood, where Chuck is.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#63Gold UrsaringPosted 1/9/2013 5:23:32 PM
Gen I started it all, and holds a nostalgic place for being the first. Some stuff were annoying as all hell. Try getting a complete Pokedex when you only get one starter, one Hitmon, one fossil, one Eevee and can't breed. The mechanics weren't fine-tuned, and the game had one Ghost and one Dragon family, that couldn't learn a move of their type that didn't have fixed damage.

The game had a wow factor for those of us who remember games before Pokemon. You could play split-screen games with people, but you couldn't really compete with others using your own things. Until Pokemon came along.

Gen II expanded on things from Gen I, added breeding, fixed a lot of mechanics and created a remarkable environment. Gen II also let you revisit the whole Pokemon world.

Whereas Gen II built upon Gen I, when the transition to RS came along, it seemed as if they threw it all away. From Gen II to Gen III at first glance the mechanics didn't seem to change, but then you recognize how much more complicated they became. More IVs to worry about, and natures too. The biggest crime of Gen III was the lack of clarity with the return of old Pokemon.

Ruby & Sapphire returned the frustrations of choices, without always bringing genuine breeding options. Everyone knew Ditto could mate with any Pokemon on the face of the Pokeearth, but Ditto wasn't found in RS. RS came locked, with 134 different Pokemon locked away. Until Colosseum was announced they give no indications about how the Pokemon were going to distributed.

Kanto and Johto built on each other pretty well, but with Hoenn it seemed as if they were going to try to do something new and replace some of the old favorites. Where Caterpie would have been, Wurmple was there. Even Magikarp had Feebas. In many ways RS was a clone of GS or RB, and not a real sequel. Gen III needed Colosseum and FRLG to get everything in. It had Emerald to replace Colosseum for non-legendaries, and XD to get Lugia. Too much Gen III was about restoring the franchise after it was artificially locked away.
#64imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 5:33:02 PM(edited)
A great and very legendary game, highly revered and literally immortal amongst gamers, that sold millions (perhaps over a billion?) of copies and is still played to this very day...featured two white paddles and a square ball.

All of your enhancements don't add up to the fact that the first two generations made Pokemon everything it ever was and will be. These two generations that you so easily dismiss not only created the entire series, but defined it.
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#65CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 5:31:11 PM
A great and very legendary game, highly revered and literally immortal amongst gamers, that sold millions of copies and is still played to this very day...featured two white paddles and a square ball.

And when Pong has gameplay as deep as pokemon, your point might become relevant.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#66imdebomb2Posted 1/9/2013 5:34:05 PM
Alright, replace Pong with Tetris. You're opinion is still wrong.
---
Not changing my signature until this signature is changed. Started February 17th, 2008.
#67willingmessPosted 1/9/2013 5:34:05 PM
I don't get all the hate towards gen two... it has probably the best moment ever in pokemon: battleing red I've gone back and must say that while the newer gens feature more upgrades one thing they do lack is character. go back and compare gen 2's sprites to all the other gen's and you'll see the difference. while I'm not a genwunner or tuwer, I feel they each deserve a healthy amount of respect for what they did.
---
Warning! the preceding post may cause severe laughter. viewer discretion is advised
#68DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 5:36:08 PM
After the third gym in R/B/Y or the 4th gym in G/S/C, you could choose where to go next. This gave me the feeling that I am exploring the land, not just going where the game tells me to. My biggest gripe with Black and White 2 is there are people blocking off every path except where you are supposed to go next in the story. I find this quite bland when the only places I can go are where the game tells me to.

And proceed to get curbstomped by Pokemon with a higher level because you went right to Cinnabar instead of facing the two of the three gyms in between. GSC wasn't as bad because the Pryce, who you could get to after Morty, was a joke.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#69DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 5:37:47 PM
And the problem with the genwunners in this topic is no one is saying that Gen 1 and 2 aren't important or classics. They don't age well at all, especially with remakes.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#70TruePowerSeekerPosted 1/9/2013 5:39:33 PM
DarkDragon386 posted...
And the problem with the genwunners in this topic is no one is saying that Gen 1 and 2 aren't important or classics. They don't age well at all, especially with remakes.

Yeah after Fire Red/Leaf Green and Soul Silver/Heart Gold came there was no real reason to play the old ones. You got the same experience with better mechanics.
---
http://tinyurl.com/abm7qr6