This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nostalgia Glasses? BS.

#1jimmyzeke13Posted 1/9/2013 4:14:30 PM
This term should be outlawed. The early Gens were amazing games for their time. Was the original King Kong a bad movie because it didn't have colour or CGI? No, because it was revolutionary for its time, much like Red and Blue. It's true that the gameplay has improved over the years, but is it so wrong to like the originals for what they were back in the old days? I should hope not.

It's fine if you're younger and like the new generations more, but it irritates me whenever I see people say that the originals sucked because they were primitive, and that we only like them because we have nostalgic memories of them.

What's going to happen years from now, when we're on Gen Ten? The kids of today will probably look back at B/W and like them more than the newest ones because they grew up with them.

I like all of the generations. They all have their own positive and negative aspects. But Gen 1 will always be my favourite because it was an important part of my childhood. The same can be said for kids who grew up with any generation. (And Charizard will always be my #1.)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYYJF0c4VA
#2SaintZetsuPosted 1/9/2013 4:15:10 PM
It's like you don't even know what it means.
---
Yes, I am a squirrel gamer, yes I love videogames, no you can't have my number or take my nuts.
#3Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/9/2013 4:15:44 PM
It's fine to like Gen 1 because you grew up with it.

It's not fine to like Gen 1 because you grew up with it and bash the newer generations.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#4Elec Man EXEPosted 1/9/2013 4:16:01 PM
There's nothing wrong with liking Gen1 best.

The problem comes with people who like Gen1 the best and claim that everything beyond that is terrible.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#5jimmyzeke13(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 4:16:07 PM
SaintZetsu posted...

Explain it to me then, ZaintSetsu.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYYJF0c4VA
#6EnferolunosPosted 1/9/2013 4:16:19 PM
The term should not be outlawed. When people say only the first 151/251 pokemon are good, that's nostalgia goggles.
Liking the early pokemon isn't nostalgia goggles. Blindly hating all new pokemon is.
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D, Pokemon XY
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#7IndianaJones65Posted 1/9/2013 4:18:30 PM
jimmyzeke13 posted...
SaintZetsu posted...

Explain it to me then, ZaintSetsu.

ZaintSetsu

SaintZetsu posted...

are you gonna take that he's mocking you
---
GameFAQs Win/Loss Record: 16/30 ; FCs in profile.
#8Long_BottomPosted 1/9/2013 4:18:42 PM
... Okay.

I'm 21, I've been playing since the RBY days, I can still acknowledge that the games and the Pokemon craze were perhaps one of the best aspects of my childhood and STILL recognise the fact that they did not age well, and are virtually unplayable because they're missing fundamental improvements that are now core to the series.

No one trashes the games, but from a factual, non-sentimental standpoint, they are inferior to the newer titles in many ways. That's the cold hard reality of it, and nostalgia should never be a valid reason as to why they're "better" than the rest. Because they're not.
---
NNID: Laroche
#9wufei8706Posted 1/9/2013 4:19:29 PM
Why is everyone all over the first two Gens now? They were the worst last year according to you all.
---
http://i45.tinypic.com/4sl82r.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Uu5mm.png
#10SaintZetsuPosted 1/9/2013 4:19:44 PM
jimmyzeke13 posted...
SaintZetsu posted...

Explain it to me then, SaintZetsu.

Refer to Freeman's post.
---
Yes, I am a squirrel gamer, yes I love videogames, no you can't have my number or take my nuts.