This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nostalgia Glasses? BS.

#51tamayamawuvPosted 1/9/2013 5:40:39 PM
imdebomb2 posted...
Is all of the Gen I and II hate stemming from the original titles themselves, or their enhanced remakes?

It seems, from comments and observations, most of the hatred comes from players who haven't experienced these titles first hand, or have only experienced the remakes, or who came to play the games post Gen III/IV/V.

No sane, logical Pokemon fan, who was their since the beginning, would apply so much hate and criticism on what many consider the highlight of the series

what

I grew up with RBY, and think Gen I was the worst. I still think they're great games, but compared to the other games, they're inferior. They're only the highlight of the series because they were the beginning. FR/LG were good remakes. HG/SS were wonderful. Honestly, they were a lot better than D/P/Pt.

FR/LG and HG/SS were better than their original games. They're enhanced, more refined editions. You seem to like the originals a lot better, and for no other reason besides nostalgia.

Think of it this way: If Pokemon BW were the first games, they'd still be successful- possibly even more than RBY were.
#52DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 5:41:28 PM
vchu8 posted...
Zoramon089 posted...
vchu8 posted...
Catcher_Freeman posted...
It's fine to like Gen 1 because you grew up with it.

It's not fine to like Gen 1 because you grew up with it and bash the newer generations.

These days I literally see more people bash Gen 1 in retaliation than I do see people bash the newer Gens.

Except that if it's in retaliation you'd see the same number of people bashing both...

When I said retaliation, I meant that people usually cite some evidently large mass of Genwunners that don't really exist in the community. They ARE there, but the majority of active Pokemon fans are fans of 3-5. Most of the Genwunner like opinions come from non-Pokemon fans, i.e. the ones that say they only played R/B/Y.

It seems to me like people feel the need to strike back against the old games when it is entirely unnecessary to do so. By all means, don't like those first games if you don't like them. Just, you know, show a little respect.

Um, there are two active topics on this board that are full of genwunners.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#53DarkDragon386Posted 1/9/2013 5:50:22 PM
imdebomb2 posted...
Is all of the Gen I and II hate stemming from the original titles themselves, or their enhanced remakes?

It seems, from comments and observations, most of the hatred comes from players who haven't experienced these titles first hand, or have only experienced the remakes, or who came to play the games post Gen III/IV/V.

No sane, logical Pokemon fan, who was their since the beginning, would apply so much hate and criticism on what many consider the highlight of the series

Nice viewpoints you have there.

A) A lot of the people don't hate Gen 1 and 2. They, like me, are sick of the people claiming Gen 1 and 2 are better because of nostalgia without even giving the new games a chance, and instead trash it because it has trash as Pokemon. You like Gen 1 better, I have no problem with it. If you say Gen 1 is better because the villains, Pokemon, and storyline sucks in Gen V compared to Gen 1, then I have a problem with that.

B) Where are these observations coming from that people hate the remakes and haven't played the originals first hand. I will never forget being eight and picking Squirtle before beating Brock cause his Onix spammed bide in Blue. That does not mean Gen 1 is better just because I have fond memories of it and that does not make Gen V any worse.

C) Yep, highlight of the series sure fits. I mean, among the lame movepools for the AI (why does Jasmine's Steelix have sunny day [how does sunny day help a steel type] and why does Champion Blue's Exeggutor have three moves [fun fact: his Exeggcute had four moves, so somewhere along the way it lost a move), the unbalanced gameplay (psychics and normals were broken as hell), glitches galore, and just poor mechanics overall.

D) Nice judgment you're displaying
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#54Bloodmoon77Posted 1/9/2013 6:03:17 PM(edited)
The thing that bugs me is that Gen 1 and 2 don't really have a chance. I don't really like how one of the reasons they're inferior is because they don't have as much content as the newer gens. Well of course they don't, they wouldn't have been able to handle everything that's in the newer games today. I do believe that they should be judged based on the time in which they were made, and not now. They were great games for the time, and I don't see why people complain about the glitches, considering most of them were actually beneficial, and they made the games much more interesting. I do think gen 1 and 2 were the best probably because I grew up with them and the Pokemon mean so much to me. I thought the story and pacing were fine, but of course they can't compare to what we have now. So I guess I have my nostalgia glasses on, but I'd still prefer to play those games over gen 4 and 5 any day. Each game was great in its own right, and it's a real pain to say which is better.
---
http://i.imgur.com/NLLBk.png
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295184740391.gif