This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CoD Syndrome?

#1PezofpowerPosted 1/9/2013 5:02:44 PM
I had this discussion with a friend of mine and It left me kind of without a leg to stand on.
Is Pokemon facing Call of Duty syndrome?
Sure the releases aren't annual, but contrary to other nintendo titles pokemon has the most stagnated gameplay of the bunch. While I agree the meta is a complex beast on it's own, and it that sense pokemon is more akin to a collectable card game (6th gen being the new set of cards this time around) What core gameplay elements have really changed since Red and Blue/Green?

Battle and evolution mechanics are mostly the same

EV/IV stuff changes between gens but I find this to only influence the meta and even then it's only to an extent that cant ultimately be adjusted for.

Specifically with Gen 6 the graphics are seeing a pretty significant update but graphics don't really make the game.

What seperates pokemon from call of duty?
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#2Second_ChancesPosted 1/9/2013 5:05:05 PM
BW were the only new games that didn't add some major game changing element, except I guess Triple and Rotation Battles, but no one actually does those. And they already confirmed new battle mechanics.
#3KosacVPosted 1/9/2013 5:06:40 PM
Side games. They are pokemon and they exist.
---
This one knows what he's doing...
#4zane0144Posted 1/9/2013 5:07:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing today
---
Song of the Day: Battle for Freedom FFXII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjEN-zFlDQ
#5TheCoolzPosted 1/9/2013 5:10:14 PM
Well one of the biggest changes is the split physical and special attack <_<

Each gen has their own meta that continues to evolve.

Random stuff such as contests or whatever. I mean I know a few people who don't take battles seriously at all but really like those kinds of things as well.

I mean, from Gen I to Gen II it actually introduced day and night, dates and time, contests to do during certain times. I mean, that's a pretty big thing.

And of course the core gameplay will stay the same, as it is what helped shape Pokemon to what it is now. People enjoy the Pokemon series for the experience and the journey that they provide, while Battles and Trading are something to do similar to that with CoD multiplayer. I mean, not everyone plays the game for the sake of Battle/Trading, but it is a very large and critical aspect for the game.
---
Diamond FC: 4854 3640 0601
#6Pezofpower(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 5:25:04 PM
KosacV posted...
Side games. They are pokemon and they exist.

That's pokemon as a franchise though. Be honest with yourself, most pokemon side games are shamless ripoffs of other renown titles just plastered with pokemon.

For example. The pokemon puzzle challenge games are just tetris attack.
Conquest is fire emblem with pokemon mechanics.

The appeal of side games are made for pokemon fans not RPG lovers.
While signature titles on the otherhand appeal to people who don't necessarily inherently love pokemon
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#7MarbiaachPosted 1/9/2013 5:28:50 PM
The Ranger games are unique, haven't seen any game like it. Also the PMD games are unique as well, being in an entirely different genre than the main games. (And don't point out some random Dungeon crawler calling PMD a rip-off of it. Two games are in the same genre, of course there will be similarities.)
---
Black 2 : [Marvin] [FC: 0777 2092 3156]
#8zero_x300Posted 1/9/2013 5:30:36 PM
The amount of effort that goes into each title every new release easily trumps the effort they put ibto new CoD games. I imagine a vast majority of a CoD games budget goes into advertising.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKAomQTLbc
#9kiaghi7Posted 1/9/2013 5:36:10 PM
Marbiaach posted...
The Ranger games are unique, haven't seen any game like it. Also the PMD games are unique as well, being in an entirely different genre than the main games. (And don't point out some random Dungeon crawler calling PMD a rip-off of it. Two games are in the same genre, of course there will be similarities.)

Ummm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Dungeon

It was a long since established genre a decade before PMD was thought up.
---
The difference between being ignorant and being enlightened is choosing not to be the other.
#10MarbiaachPosted 1/9/2013 5:38:39 PM
kiaghi7 posted...
Marbiaach posted...

Ummm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Dungeon

It was a long since established genre a decade before PMD was thought up.

But I never said that PMD created the genre. (Just a note: Most games in that genre were created by Chunsoft, who also developed PMD.)
---
Black 2 : [Marvin] [FC: 0777 2092 3156]