This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CoD Syndrome?

#21NinjaKitsunePosted 1/9/2013 6:22:13 PM(edited)
CoD has its own self-proclaimed "new and improved" mechanics, weapons, story, etc, etc. So the same can be said about it having "uniqueness" in every new title.

Pokemon is no different. It's gotten stale and is simply being milked out of every last drop. Nintendo's created something indestructible however. People will keep buying it because "OH PKMN IN THE TITLE; INSTA-BUY". I know there are people out there who really go hard for (take no offense in this) it and dedicate themselves in the actual mechanics and meta-game. Though, we still have the the other 50% who buy it for the title.

And people know this.

*prepares for onslaught of Pokemon defenders*

I'd be more accepting of the similarities if we had some of the CoD changes listed to compare. With the exception of fifth-gen so far all the changes have affected the game pretty majorly. Plus new pokemon, new moves. The story usually follows the same pattern of "go be a master and fill out the pokedex while fighting evil group X" but they've done a good job of putting unique spins on it most generations.

Also, pre-emptively disregarding counterpoints with the whole "pokemon defenders" thing doesn't really help your credibility.
---
If you see this, something broke gamefox
#22kakashik99992Posted 1/9/2013 6:22:17 PM
Pezofpower posted...
KosacV posted...
Side games. They are pokemon and they exist.

That's pokemon as a franchise though. Be honest with yourself, most pokemon side games are shamless ripoffs of other renown titles just plastered with pokemon.

For example. The pokemon puzzle challenge games are just tetris attack.
Conquest is fire emblem with pokemon mechanics.

The appeal of side games are made for pokemon fans not RPG lovers.
While signature titles on the otherhand appeal to people who don't necessarily inherently love pokemon

Lol son that is completely wrong the only thing similar it has with fire emblem is the genre plus conquest is a cross over(including the same studio behind) with samurai warriors
---
My pokemon run http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
#23QueskerPosted 1/9/2013 6:25:08 PM
inTaCtfuL posted...
The amount of effort that goes into each title every new release easily trumps the effort they put ibto new CoD games. I imagine a vast majority of a CoD games budget goes into advertising.

I'm not calling you out but do you have any proof of this? I mean I never played a COD play so maybe I'm not wise on typing this but have any of you really play COD competitively to see if there's minor changes between games in stuff like gravity, physics, gun, map, etc. changes? I mean according to casuals they see Pokemon games not changing at all, but we all now that's not true so wouldn't it be hypocritical of us to accuse the same thing about COD when most of us are mostly casuals on the COD series?

That is a very good point, which is why I haven't jumped in the "COD IS THE SAME" bandwagon, or any other wagons, for that matter. I can tell you that if I were into Street Fighter or CoD, I'd be noting the changes as I do with the Pokemon franchise as well.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#24ShadowlinkexPosted 1/9/2013 6:39:30 PM
NinjaKitsune posted...
CoD has its own self-proclaimed "new and improved" mechanics, weapons, story, etc, etc. So the same can be said about it having "uniqueness" in every new title.

Pokemon is no different. It's gotten stale and is simply being milked out of every last drop. Nintendo's created something indestructible however. People will keep buying it because "OH PKMN IN THE TITLE; INSTA-BUY". I know there are people out there who really go hard for (take no offense in this) it and dedicate themselves in the actual mechanics and meta-game. Though, we still have the the other 50% who buy it for the title.

And people know this.

*prepares for onslaught of Pokemon defenders*

I'd be more accepting of the similarities if we had some of the CoD changes listed to compare. With the exception of fifth-gen so far all the changes have affected the game pretty majorly. Plus new pokemon, new moves. The story usually follows the same pattern of "go be a master and fill out the pokedex while fighting evil group X" but they've done a good job of putting unique spins on it most generations.

Also, pre-emptively disregarding counterpoints with the whole "pokemon defenders" thing doesn't really help your credibility.

Sir, once more; the same can be said for CoD. And my apologies if that was negatively taken, but I already know what to expect when faced with fanbases such as this (or even CoD itself which I've commented on myself)
#25KeyToSuccessPosted 1/9/2013 6:41:52 PM
Shadowlinkex posted...
Sir, once more; the same can be said for CoD. And my apologies if that was negatively taken, but I already know what to expect when faced with fanbases such as this (or even CoD itself which I've commented on myself)

You haven't outlined what any of those changes are though. As people have said people who play CoD casually wouldn't know of these changes that majorly change up the game.
---
This is what RPG's are about! Killing people and taking their cool stuff!
#26kiaghi7Posted 1/10/2013 5:56:26 PM
Marbiaach posted...
kiaghi7 posted...
Marbiaach posted...
The Ranger games are unique, haven't seen any game like it. Also the PMD games are unique as well, being in an entirely different genre than the main games. (And don't point out some random Dungeon crawler calling PMD a rip-off of it. Two games are in the same genre, of course there will be similarities.)

Ummm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Dungeon

It was a long since established genre a decade before PMD was thought up.

But I never said that PMD created the genre. (Just a note: Most games in that genre were created by Chunsoft, who also developed PMD.)

But you said "Also the PMD games are unique as well, being in an entirely different genre than the main games. (And don't point out some random Dungeon crawler calling PMD a rip-off of it. Two games are in the same genre, of course there will be similarities.)"

But the PMD games aren't unique... At all...

The fact that you acknowledge so many are made by the same developer (basically rogue-types) merely emphasizes that they are not unique.

Not being unique isn't particularly problematic, they are what they are, and just like the main pokemon games they tend to re-tread a LOT of ground with one another, but there have been many many games like PMD long before PMD was ever thought of, so it's "unique" in the same way a Madden game is.
---
The difference between being ignorant and being enlightened is choosing not to be the other.
#27wind64aPosted 1/10/2013 6:06:08 PM
Ranger games are fun.

Abilities were a rather major change. Would Ninetales be OU without Drought? It's my favorite and I'm glad the change happened.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the BW2 boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142