This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I loved genII until HGSS were released

#21Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 11:18:43 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
That's young...

So then how old are you?

... I'm just going to ignore this type of behavior.

So you're ignoring that Gold and silver came out at the height of Pokemon's popularity and that it was highly praised by most?

Not really. People complained about it's slow ass battle system. Complained how there just wasn't the region versatility of Gen 3, complained how the Pokemon were even LESS recognizable. Complained that they couldn't grab their old Pokes from Ru/Sa/Em because "there isn't even the excuse of technology this time..." I remember that. I thought it was pretty silly myself.

How old were you when Gen 4 came out?

Hitting the age where I see an occasional grey. Old enough to realize that trying to call any of the series bad from prior ones is silly when all of them attempt to build off of the last.

No it didn't. The pokemon craze started dying around the time that G/S/C was coming out. Pokemon G/S/C came out in 2000 over here. If you lived in Japan, it would have come out during the craze. However, everyone else in the world was not so lucky. And Pokemon games are usually universally praised that are in the main series. So I'm not even sure what you mean by "highly praised by most."

Old enough. And I fail to see how my age would matter in this case.

I've said the same argument time and time again, it's a bit odd when a person sees them as any other order besides 1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5... Etc. Unless the series took some sort of turn where its additions actually annoyed them. It's really hard to see...

1 < 3 < 2 < 5 < 4. Even more ridiculous is 2 < 1 < 3...

Pokemon has rarely removed things from the series that it has added. In this case, the guy just says he hates all of the old ones, and that's fine. That makes sense. But why even bother to start with mentioning 2? We get it, it's obviously the "hot" topic now. It just sounds like a desperate attempt to get a topic with a lot of posts.
---
Jimbo.
#22levyjl1988Posted 1/9/2013 11:21:19 PM
Pokemon HG/SS was awesome. 2 Regions to explore... 2.
We haven't seen this happen again in a long while...
---
PKMN B2 FC: 1034 9038 3436
#23LexifoxPosted 1/9/2013 11:23:59 PM
I believe that Gen 1 was good, but simple. They were just silly Game Boy RPGs, so they were good for what they were, and expectations were low. The GB is not a system known for its in-depth games, after all.

Gen 2 was leaps and bounds ahead of Gen 1, and really impressive from a technological standpoint. However, in their efforts to get all the content, what we did have was spread thin. The level of wild Pokemon were awful compared to the trainers, opponents scaled terribly, and it was just something of a waste.

Gen 3, I feel, is when the series really hit its stride: TMs were less scarce and generally "better" all around, more Pokemon were becoming viable, we were seeing more complex and tricky hold items, the use of EVs and abilities helped to make battling much deeper...

Gen 1 and 2 may have started the series, but they were still very primitive and unable to really deliver on the ambitious world Game Freak had.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#24LexifoxPosted 1/9/2013 11:24:32 PM
levyjl1988 posted...

Your game had two regions? Mine had parts of two separate ones crammed together.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#25CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 11:24:40 PM
Hitting the age where I see an occasional grey. Old enough to realize that trying to call any of the series bad from prior ones is silly when all of them attempt to build off of the last.

I've seen gray hairs on 16 year olds, hair color means nothing

No it didn't. The pokemon craze started dying around the time that G/S/C was coming out. Pokemon G/S/C came out in 2000 over here. If you lived in Japan, it would have come out during the craze. However, everyone else in the world was not so lucky. And Pokemon games are usually universally praised that are in the main series. So I'm not even sure what you mean by "highly praised by most."

They became the fastest selling Gameboy games, how are you going to claim it started dying during GSC. Pokemon was everywhere until roughly 2001ish

Old enough. And I fail to see how my age would matter in this case.

Because it shows where you're coming from. My view comes from someone who grew up with pokemon, someone who saw it become unpopular and then rise back to popularity with Diamond and Pearl

I've said the same argument time and time again, it's a bit odd when a person sees them as any other order besides 1 < 2 < 3 < 4 < 5

Have you never spoken to anyone about pokemon before?

Pokemon has rarely removed things from the series that it has added. In this case, the guy just says he hates all of the old ones, and that's fine. That makes sense. But why even bother to start with mentioning 2? We get it, it's obviously the "hot" topic now. It just sounds like a desperate attempt to get a topic with a lot of posts.

Or maybe he just wanted to share because it's the hot topic. It makes more sense for him to see the topics about it and post his opinion then, as opposed to waiting until we're in the middle of Gen 6 to do so.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#26Bronze_StuffPosted 1/9/2013 11:34:45 PM
Because it shows where you're coming from. My view comes from someone who grew up with pokemon, someone who saw it become unpopular and then rise back to popularity with Diamond and Pearl

It dipped in 2000 though. 2001 was when Entei's move came out. No one cared, and Celebi was even less cared about. Gen 3 sold worse as a result of the declining popularity, and then people started wanting to play Gen 4 again.

Have you never spoken to anyone about pokemon before?

Still odd.

Or maybe he just wanted to share because it's the hot topic. It makes more sense for him to see the topics about it and post his opinion then, as opposed to waiting until we're in the middle of Gen 6 to do so.

Doubtful. You and I have said more than him.
---
Jimbo.
#27CM_PonchPosted 1/9/2013 11:37:01 PM
It dipped in 2000 though

Which is why I must again ask for your age, as someone who was in elementary school during 2nd gen I can tell you this is not true.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/RIwMn.png
#28hmmmmnamePosted 1/10/2013 1:28:30 AM
AuroraSonicBeam posted...
Cool story bro

---
See you Space Cowboy.
#29RX02BansheePosted 1/10/2013 1:36:32 AM
levyjl1988 posted...

More like half a region and a ghost region.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.