This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Changing the metagame

#1VideoGameFre4kPosted 1/10/2013 4:20:46 AM(edited)
With two new pokemon games on the horizon, many friends have asked me if I was going to start a new pokemon adventure along with them and join them in trading and battling. However, and as much as I liked the trailer and the idea of a 3d world plus everything a new game in the series implies, I have one worry which has been with me ever since the dawning of the third generation.
Let me clarify that I own at least one pokemon of every generation and that I have enjoyed every single one of my pokemon games thoroughly, but, there seems to be something missing from the old days; a fictional bond I used to share with my Charizard and other pokes that is keeping every pokemon after generation II, at least for me, from being perfect games. That bond is gone because most of your early pokemons are useless after you beat the game, and who is to blame? EVS are to blame.
I´ve no problems with ivs and natures, but evs force you to battle specific pokemons in order to achieve power in what probably are going to be tedious and monotone battles.
So I PROPOSE to change the metagame, how? with two simple steps:
1) Make every and all aspects of the metagame explicit ingame, thefore, giving everyone a fair chance to get better while keeping their champion pokemon forever and not being thrown into a forgotten pc box (at best) after the maingame, just like an ungrateful son throws his old dad to an asylum.
2) Radically changing the way evs work; I propose having to make a decision at level 50 (doesn´t have to be 50 necessarily) that will determine your two primary stats, this way, eradicating those tedious hours of training AND preserving your much beloved pokemon. Name them, "Veteran Values" or something (lame naming, I know, but you get the idea).

What happens with pokes caught after level 50? Well the option becomes available at level 50 but you actually have to talk to an npc to make the changes apply.

What are your thoughts?
---
-MPH:1332-19564070 -Pokémon Pearl:008700738723
-MKDS:270645-528754 -CastlevaniaPOR:330828620905
#2LightningHawk90Posted 1/10/2013 4:14:08 AM
They could rework all of the base stats of every single pokemon.
---
Pokemon white FC: 0003 4423 2595
#3TenzhiPosted 1/10/2013 4:21:01 AM
I've completely ignored the tedium of EVs (and breeding, for that matter). I simply play the game and move on. Of course, I don't PVP, either, so such min-maxing has been unnecessary. Grinding out levels can be tedious enough on its own.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#4LightningHawk90Posted 1/10/2013 4:21:39 AM
They should atleast add something more than EV's and IV's to make it alittle more balanced
---
Pokemon white FC: 0003 4423 2595
#5VideoGameFre4k(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 4:26:39 AM(edited)
It is pretty tedious considering most battles will be done against random wild pokes; it has been for me every time I try to battle my friends on the current generations, thats why the most fun ive had battling has been on generation I and II.
---
#6GoldenJoe24Posted 1/10/2013 4:31:13 AM
If you only love your Pokemon because they are strong, you are a bad trainer. :-P

Have you ever played Kid Icarus? The meta game on it is very good because the player does not have the power to just straight up make whatever weapon they want. Instead, the game gives you random options, and you are forced to experiment with weapons you may not have tried otherwise. If you like a weapon, or like certain qualities but not the weapon itself, you can use the weapon to try and make something better through fusion. Additionally, you get a grid that allows you to equip whatever powers will fit, allowing you to create "sets" designed around whatever weapons or play styles you imagine.

The result is a meta game where everyone has very good weapons and powers, but not perfect ones, and no two players have the exact same equipment, keeping battles fresh.

I'd like something like that done with Pokemon. Get rid of EVa altogether, and let the pokemons NATURE and MOOD determine its stats, growth rate, and learned moves. For example, a shy Pokemon would have higher defenses and learn moves like reflect instead of psychic. A Pokemon that is feeling neglected won't gain as much exp, or certain "rival species" or counter types will award more exp Let the pokemons strength reflect the way that the trainer raises it.

I think that would be very interesting, and offers seemingly endless ways to ensure that each Pokemon is unique while improving viability.
#7TenzhiPosted 1/10/2013 4:33:34 AM
VideoGameFre4k posted...
thats why the most fun ive had battling has been on generation I and II.

Indeed. While I tend to avoid PVP battles, I think I got wrangled into them by my friends more often in Red/Blue than any other. Back then my Snorlax had Hyperbeam and it was good fun.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#8VideoGameFre4k(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 4:42:12 AM(edited)
GoldenJoe24 posted...
If you only love your Pokemon because they are strong, you are a bad trainer. :-P

Have you ever played Kid Icarus? The meta game on it is very good because the player does not have the power to just straight up make whatever weapon they want. Instead, the game gives you random options, and you are forced to experiment with weapons you may not have tried otherwise. If you like a weapon, or like certain qualities but not the weapon itself, you can use the weapon to try and make something better through fusion. Additionally, you get a grid that allows you to equip whatever powers will fit, allowing you to create "sets" designed around whatever weapons or play styles you imagine.

The result is a meta game where everyone has very good weapons and powers, but not perfect ones, and no two players have the exact same equipment, keeping battles fresh.

I'd like something like that done with Pokemon. Get rid of EVa altogether, and let the pokemons NATURE and MOOD determine its stats, growth rate, and learned moves. For example, a shy Pokemon would have higher defenses and learn moves like reflect instead of psychic. A Pokemon that is feeling neglected won't gain as much exp, or certain "rival species" or counter types will award more exp Let the pokemons strength reflect the way that the trainer raises it.

I think that would be very interesting, and offers seemingly endless ways to ensure that each Pokemon is unique while improving viability.

You make a very good point and yes I have played Kid Icarus on the 3ds, and not only I love it, it is my goty for 2012, and as you pointed out, that game is perfectly done in terms of metagame. What you propose is another valid alternative to fixing evs, as long as you are not made by the competitive aspect of the game to get rid of your pokes them im fine with it.

And dont question my poke master skills! I roll the Gary Oak way :P
---