This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Battle System being Reworked?

#1GuitarGuruu16Posted 1/10/2013 8:28:12 AM
What do you think this will be about? Do you think they could change base stats, EV's, etc in order to make any Pokemon viable?
#2SvenshinhanPosted 1/10/2013 8:31:35 AM
I have no idea what they're gonna rework, but I doubt it'll be major. GameFreak and Nintendo seem to be pretty intent on changing as little about the Pokémon formula as possible so long as it sells.

I'm HOPING that they'll do major overhauls of some systems (particularly base stats and IVs), but honestly I doubt it.

I'm guessing more battle modes or something (like double, triple and rotation battles). Of course there'll be new attacks and abilities like always, but that's not reworking, that's just adding to. Very curious to see what they might do, but I'm not expecting it to be anything huge.
---
Hakuna Matata
#3mondrae205Posted 1/10/2013 8:32:30 AM
If they would have, they would have done it in black/white since it was supposed to be a "new start"
---
Congratulations, random chance is random and based on chance -Naucitos
Official Arceus of pokemon X board
#4Aqua69696Posted 1/10/2013 8:35:14 AM
mondrae205 posted...
If they would have, they would have done it in black/white since it was supposed to be a "new start"

This is a new system though, maybe it'll be "standalone" in that you won't be able to trade for things from other regions.
---
But there's still tomorrow Forget the sorrow And I can be on the Last Train Home
Watch it pass the day As it fades away No more time to care No more time Today
#5SlimeStackPosted 1/10/2013 8:35:37 AM
I hope IVs get removed and while EVs are a great mechanic, it would be awesome if they were integrated into the game in a more visible and accessible way like natures, abilities and levels are.

It would also be nice if some of the dream world abilities become ordinary wild abilities for those that can't function without them.
#6gladwyn101Posted 1/10/2013 8:36:00 AM
Perhaps there is an option for a Pokemon to actively try to evade or defend instead of performing an attack, increasing evasion or defense temporarily to mitigate the damage of a powerful attack.

Another possibility, albeit unlikely, is making the battles active-time, meaning it'll be more like final fantasy iv, or possibly final fantasy xiii.

Another possibility, is that EVs change so when a Pokemon levels up, you get some EVs to distribute at your option.

Perhaps you can increase the number of moves a Pokemon can know.

No one really knows right now, I'm just listing what comes from the top of my head.
---
Bazinga! *dives into ballpit*
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon
#7Brandon00151Posted 1/10/2013 8:38:50 AM
I bet the next Stat/IV/EV/Battle System rework will be the first Pokemon game on a system that doesn't have DS backwards compatibility.
#8EarthViperPosted 1/10/2013 8:40:26 AM
gladwyn101 posted...

Another possibility, is that EVs change so when a Pokemon levels up, you get some EVs to distribute at your option.

I'm sure some diehards to love the current formula would call that blasphemy but frankly I love that idea. Do that and eliminate IV's and I'd be stoked.
---
Clam shell plastic packaging is, in fact, my mortal enemy.
#9Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/10/2013 8:41:04 AM
Svenshinhan posted...
I have no idea what they're gonna rework, but I doubt it'll be major. GameFreak and Nintendo seem to be pretty intent on changing as little about the Pokémon formula as possible so long as it sells.

I'm HOPING that they'll do major overhauls of some systems (particularly base stats and IVs), but honestly I doubt it.

I'm guessing more battle modes or something (like double, triple and rotation battles). Of course there'll be new attacks and abilities like always, but that's not reworking, that's just adding to. Very curious to see what they might do, but I'm not expecting it to be anything huge.

That's not exactly a fair comparison considering until Gen V each gen added some groundbreaking additions in one way or another or improving a dramatic problem with a current mechanic [see phys/special split]

Given Gen V really didn't add much meaningful [aside from improvements to already existing mechanics.] but that's one gen compared to five.
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#10Aqua69696Posted 1/10/2013 8:41:11 AM
Brandon00151 posted...
I bet the next Stat/IV/EV/Battle System rework will be the first Pokemon game on a system that doesn't have DS backwards compatibility.

In the age of wireless I don't think this will ever happen... I think it was only like that for GBC to GBA because tech wasn't as far advanced.
---
But there's still tomorrow Forget the sorrow And I can be on the Last Train Home
Watch it pass the day As it fades away No more time to care No more time Today