This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when Pokemon was fun?

#41Tequila_ShotPosted 1/11/2013 4:55:14 AM
TalentedM posted...
Tequila_Shot posted...

The Dynamic Values System is not manditory

The community in which uses the games to host battles between one another have made it mandatory. I understand what you are saying, but from my viewpoint... It is very much so mandatory to have the slightest potential for victory. Which means the win/loss outcome weighs more on your stats VS your actual skill. Otherwise it wouldn't matter and no one would do it.

But, you just said that it's your viewpoint, and the community that have made it mandatory. So, how are you going from that to thinking that GameFreak should eliminate the system altogether, despite having taken leaps and bounds to make the process many folds easier?

There is no problem with the game, and GameFreak has intentionally reconstructed breeding mechanics to make it hundreds (if not thousands) of times easier on the player to achieve what the players have demanded.

I don't have a problem with what you're trying to accomplish, but the fact that it seems like you're blaming the game, as opposed to the player, is what I'm taking exception with. You admitted that the problem isn't with the game, but yet you still demand changes be made to the game in spite of that. Changes that I do not agree with.
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#42deevo117Posted 1/11/2013 4:58:03 AM
TalentedM posted...
deevo117 posted...

TC, I'm not saying that it's a flawless system, it certainly isn't. But it's been this way for over a decade, it's not like they are going to do anything about it now. So what else can we do? If a GameFaqs topic could help us change game mechanics, then by all means I'd be in full support, but don't claim that the game isn't fun when you are obviously continuing to support it, and even though you grow tired of the EV/IV "number crunching antics," you do still enjoy it. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't be here.

Absolute truth. More or less was hoping to see there were others out there like me who would share their ideas or opinions with me. You are correct, I sill love the game.

I'm glad. I do too. And we probably both will 5-10 years from now. The truth is, there probably isn't another game series that we have stuck with for this long. So yeah it gets easy to complain and get riled up about the obvious flaws and awful mechanics they have put us through for nearly 20 full-length games. Unfortunately for us, not everyone has been playing Pokemon for 15 years. :(
---
Official Manectric of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#43Tequila_ShotPosted 1/11/2013 5:04:15 AM(edited)
TalentedM posted...
It is a poor excuse blown up by the tiniest but of logic. Games now shouldn't have this problem where I have to make up difficulty. It should be patched and corrected, welcome to 2013.

Yes, welcome to 2013, my friend. You seem to be ill informed to the console patching process. Microsoft and Sony (and probably Nintendo, too) charge developers thousands of dollars for patches to be made to games. Patching technology exist, but console manufacturers exploit it to the bitter end. What, weren't you aware of that fact? Let's just say that 999 times out of 1000, console developers will forego the patch unless it's necessary to fix a game-breaking bug, or to add new content.

The only place you can really use patching as an excuse is on the PC platform, and PC gamers don't really complain about it. Why? Because we can mod the game's coding ourselves. Plus, developers can offer their own patches from their websites free of charge, to both us (the end user) and themselves by not having to deal with hardware manufacturers.

Welcome to 2013, indeed.
---
If you're a gamer, it is your responsibility to share this with everyone you know:
http://youtu.be/jHmDjNCZR3k
#44sonicfanaticjtbPosted 1/11/2013 5:02:55 AM
TalentedM posted...
deevo117 posted...

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

Otherwise, you can breed, EV train, RNG, or hack like everyone else! Pretty simple.

I get it, there are simulations out there. There is only 1 problem with it, they aren't the game. No matter how they mask it, it isn't even touching on my subject whatsoever.

I have an AR, I use Pokesav and I can and have breed, EV train and done everything else. You act like I don't know what any of this is... I have known for YEARS. It isn't even what I am talking about.

I can't be the only non masochistic person who plays this game and doesn't enjoy pulling out my hair for 4 hours trying to breed a pokemon worth a damn. Imagine if all of this was something worked around training with your pokemon, not just crunching a number but using it in and out of battle - why wouldn't that work out better? Not just worrying about what your are fighting, but actually fighting. Then relying on skill and your own wit to defeat your opponent.

Except it does rely on skill and your own wit to win battles.

EVs, IVs, natures, and abilities all help to make pokémon unique and add depth to it's battle system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'em. Don't like 'em? Don't use 'em. It's literally as simple as that. Want to play against people without having to worry 'bout EVs and what not? Play challenge cup which has existed since Pokémon Stadium 2. Want to use in game teams? Ask your opponent to use an in game team, or whatever. Don't complain on gamefaqs 'bout a system that works perfectly fine... You ain't gonna get very far...

As you've probably noticed...
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#45hyjinx17Posted 1/11/2013 5:28:01 AM(edited)
I remember when it was fun. it was yesterday while I was playing Black 2

and the complicated stuff is what makes it fun for anyone older then 12, that's the point. Leveling a bold charizard with crap IV's to 100, giving it Fire Blast, Seismic Toss, Fly and Flamethrower and putting it against a Blastoise is the surface created for young children to enjoy.

I'm sorry, but if there weren't IVs, EVs, Natures, Move sets etc... I would of gotten bored after gold and silver. Getting random pokemon A to 100 to spam move B because it looks cool or the character in the show uses it gets old real fast
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#46BakuryukunPosted 1/11/2013 5:27:57 AM
Yeah I remember when it was fun....about an hour ago, when I was playing it.

Why would you worry so damn much about the metagame? To just beat the elite four and all that it's actually really overkill. I only ever worry about metagame stuff until I beat the game and plan to actually play against people.
#47hyjinx17Posted 1/11/2013 5:33:03 AM
TalentedM posted...
deevo117 posted...
Yeah I don't know what you are talking about. As far as the main game goes, you can PERSONALLY choose to place a significance or importance on the subjects of IVs/EVs, Natures, and Abilities.
Pretty easy to ignore.

That is untill I want to play a battle online and get people with perfect pokemon.
The fun was playing your friends over the cable on red and blue. That was what I remember most fondly. Since then and people finding out there are secret stats in the new games it has been downhill. Crunch this number, equip this to get it faster! Fight these monsters! Not perfect DO IT AGAIN.

The single player bit, is the same hashed game over and over again. It isn't anything revolutionary, so don't be so brash like the game is brand new every time. I own every version of pokemon, this one excites me just as much as the others (not very much). But battling with people is the only thing this game has on other RPG's... So why not make it friendly to those who have full time obligations?

Pretty much what I am getting at is, wouldn't it be nice to be relevant with effort still put in but not so much that it makes your mind melt... Who like tedium THAT MUCH?

also, if you like the days playing over link cables with your friends and not worrying about perfect pokemon, YOU CAN STILL DO THAT. Just play with people you know with whatever rules you want, but don't sit there and complain that people you don't know aren't playing the game the way you think it should be played
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#48MTGxerxesPosted 1/11/2013 5:33:09 AM
I remember when it was fun, and there's always new formats and themes you can create to spice things up a little bit.

Monotype, roulette, region war, theme teams, etc.

But lets not give up hope just yet... there's currently no way to hack this stuff and we don't know what kind of imports from previous games we're gunna have. Maybe it'll fix a lot of the things we feel got screwed up along the way.
---
Youtube: MTGXerxes. Pokemon DP, Mega Man 1-6, X, X4, Breath of Fire 1-2, Magic 2013, etc.
Gamertag: MtG Xerxes --- Gamestop Manager
#49masterarbiter44Posted 1/11/2013 5:51:16 AM
TalentedM posted...
And it wasn't just number crunching and worrying about how perfect a pokemon was and how many IV/EV it had?

I do, I wish they would just correct it. I look at it as a blemish on an otherwise interesting and fun game.

But... I like number crunching. Even if you don't you can simply ignore it, Pokemon is not exactly known for it's crushing difficulty.
---
It's about the games, not about the hardware
#50BaradekaiPosted 1/11/2013 6:02:46 AM
Remember how, before the anime, it wasn't intentionally designed as a childrens game, and wild pokemon were actually supposed to be dangerous, even lethal? Or when they hadn't released 6 (minor) variations of the same story.