This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when Pokemon was fun?

#61Shadow_StarWolfPosted 1/11/2013 6:18:29 AM
But, this isn't about hating the competitive scene. It's about hating the fact that people use IV's to gain a competitive edge, and many people being butthurt that they're at a disadvantage because they can't be bothered to do the same as their opponents.

But that's what's TC's sorta hating.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#62Scorpion122178Posted 1/11/2013 6:20:40 AM
AxelVDP posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It6xj40UVRM

what a great video
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, TESV Skyrim
#63Uru_ZephPosted 1/11/2013 6:30:27 AM
Tequila_Shot posted...
ChronoAce posted...
Well it can be like that again if they get rid of IVs.

How can you say that knowing that IV's have always existed? Your comment doesn't even make any sense. The only thing that will be solved by getting rid of IV's is homogonizing the game, and allowing literally EVERYONE into the competitive scene. Trust me, you won't like that at all.

I pretty much agree with this. As much tedium as IVs and EVs have, I don't even want to try to imagine Pokemon without at least EVs. The strategy in the game is simple (the standard rock/paper/scissors affair of moves in a turn based battle system of [typically] 1v1) to the point that, without EVs and IVs, the competetive scene would literally boil down to "Oh, my opponent has that team. Well, since my team is weak to that team, and there was no way to train my specific pokes to be different using variable stats [EV training], and since there's no other randomized stats, I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to lose."

You could argue that movepools give you the same amount of variation as EVs, but without EVs in the game they actually don't. With EVs, certain pokemon can function better as tanky or as sweepers (Gyarados), and the moveset you choose literally depends on the EV's you train. That means if every pokemon had set stats that didn't change from one to the next, then there would always be one or two ideal movesets that would see use and no others.

Main point; this isn't a Magic: The Gathering trading card game where every monster of the same name can be exactly the same. In a pokemon battle, you don't have a 60 card deck to build and draw from, you have six pokemon using one item each. EV's are what maintain a level of competitiveness in a game that is extremely simple otherwise.
#64RoccoRedPosted 1/11/2013 6:39:14 AM
It still is you dimwit.

And there is a thing called casual fighting, but I doubt you have the brain cells to understand.
---
Xbox Live: KeroTenu
PKMN FC: 5415-5334-2248
#65MegaMettaurPosted 1/11/2013 7:49:47 AM
Was?
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#66MegaMettaurPosted 1/11/2013 7:50:29 AM
Shadow_StarWolf posted...
Isn't there an internet term for people who hates games with competitive scene?

Yeah, they're called Scrubs.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO