This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to get a friend into Pokemon...

#1Decon082Posted 1/11/2013 3:35:27 PM
I find it hard to believe, but one of my best friends who's the same age as me (18) has never played a single Pokemon game before. And she says that she has always wanted to play one, but just never has.

So I plan on us playing one of the main series games together over Skype in the near future, but I'm unsure as to which game would be the best for someone who has never played any Pokemon game before.

I thought of FireRed/LeafGreen as a good start, since they're remakes of the first games, after all. But I'm not really a fan of how simplistic the story was, and I really prefer the Johto games to the Kanto ones, so I think HeartGold/SoulSilver might be better ones to start off with, but that's just me.

So, I'm wondering what games you guys think would be the best game for a first-time player to really get the feel for the Pokemon experience. It can be any game since Gen 3, because I want to at least start with something graphically decent. But anything after Gen 3 will be a little more difficult because of emulation, but I can work around that if I have to.
---
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X boards.
http://www.youtube.com/Decon082/
#2MarbiaachPosted 1/11/2013 3:36:32 PM
I'd say HG/SS or Platinum or one of the Generation 5 games.
---
Black 2 : [Marvin] [FC: 0777 2092 3156]
#3dmerkaGU10Posted 1/11/2013 3:37:47 PM
Simple is good to start
---
In the course of a life time, what does it truly matter?-random gamefaqs user
#4TheRedLumaPosted 1/11/2013 3:39:04 PM
Either wait for these or go with B2/W2. B2/W2 had a great story mode and lots of things on the side that you can do when training for gyms gets boring.
---
White 2: Nikki
FC: 3697-8095-3793
#5Decon082(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:42:02 PM
TheRedLuma posted...
Either wait for these or go with B2/W2. B2/W2 had a great story mode and lots of things on the side that you can do when training for gyms gets boring.

Yeah, I had considered BW2 as well. The only problem with that game though is that I actually skipped it. So I'd like to play it, but I'd feel bad emulating it without actually owning the game before.
---
#6TheRedLumaPosted 1/11/2013 3:43:57 PM
Well, you could always start with BW and move onto BW2 when you're done. Whatever makes you and your friend comfortable.
---
#7Decon082(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:46:58 PM
I'm going to lean towards HG/SS at the moment, unless someone can give a good reason to convince me otherwise. I don't really think there's a bad game to start off with, but I really think the following Pokemon aspect would put those games over the top.
---
#8TheRedLumaPosted 1/11/2013 3:50:44 PM
I guess it would be a good start. In all honesty, I believe every one of the main series games has something good and memorable to offer. I just didn't suggest HG/SS because, well, I beat the story in three days and it, as well as the other 4th gen games, seems to go very slowly during some of the points in battling.
---
#9KentousaiPosted 1/11/2013 3:52:39 PM
I say you should definitely go with HG/SS. I felt those two were pretty solid games and they had quite a bit of content and a ton of Pokemon. Not to mention she'll probably dig the whole two region thing, and like you said the whole Pokemon following you thing is pretty cute/neat (Growlithe is adorable). Although on a side note, I don't feel that you should worry about the complexity of a Pokemon game's story...
#10Decon082(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:53:48 PM
TheRedLuma posted...
I guess it would be a good start. In all honesty, I believe every one of the main series games has something good and memorable to offer. I just didn't suggest HG/SS because, well, I beat the story in three days and it, as well as the other 4th gen games, seems to go very slowly during some of the points in battling.

Yeah, you have a point. Diamond and Pearl were unbearably slow in battles, and I'm so glad that Platinum and HG/SS improved that aspect. I didn't really think HG/SS were very slow at all.
---