This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Naming character limit too small. If you think that, you fall into the average.

#1Ultimate_Nova_XPosted 1/12/2013 3:10:20 AM
Did a 2 minute research and found 2 interesting facts:

average length of English word is 4.5 letters. The length of an average first name will likely be higher.

average hiragana used to spell out a first name (only) in Japanese is a whopping 6.

Character limit is 10 for EN games and 5 for JP games.

I had no problem nicknaming my Pokes Sun Wukong and Zhu Bajie, but for my JP games, Son Goku was fine, but I had to get a little cleverly excluding when naming His sibling disciple.
---
"The benevolent see benevolence and the wise see wisdom."
~Chinese proverb
#2jimrichardsPosted 1/12/2013 6:28:04 AM
Average Hiragana to spell a first name is six? That sounds a bit odd to me. That would preclude that names like for instance Anamanaguchi (not a person's name anyway) are common, and I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that they are not. The longest legitimate Japanese name of which I've heard is Amaterasu, which is five characters.

However, from my experience I have found that three-kana names (such as Hikari, Naruto, Takuya, etc) are the most common, which are more often than not spelled with 6 English letters. Thus, the vast majority of Japanese players can fit their names within the five character limit easily.

The seven-character limit for player characters is a bit ridiculous I'll admit, leaving people like Alexander, Marianne, and Cornelius to use a shorter name. Ten characters would be more appropriate there, to bring them in line with Pokémon. Other than that I have no qualm with the character limit.
---
I would prefer to be known as BlackWaltzTheThird, or just Waltz for short.
Official Froakie of the Pokemon X boards.
#3Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 12:05:57 PM
Good find.
---
~Chinese proverb
#4FuneralCakePosted 1/12/2013 12:08:59 PM
jimrichards posted...
Anamanaguchi

Great band, though I really am not a fan of Meow.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#5SBNetopirPosted 1/12/2013 12:09:27 PM
jimrichards posted...
Average Hiragana to spell a first name is six? That sounds a bit odd to me. That would preclude that names like for instance Anamanaguchi (not a person's name anyway) are common, and I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that they are not. The longest legitimate Japanese name of which I've heard is Amaterasu, which is five characters.

However, from my experience I have found that three-kana names (such as Hikari, Naruto, Takuya, etc) are the most common, which are more often than not spelled with 6 English letters. Thus, the vast majority of Japanese players can fit their names within the five character limit easily.

The seven-character limit for player characters is a bit ridiculous I'll admit, leaving people like Alexander, Marianne, and Cornelius to use a shorter name. Ten characters would be more appropriate there, to bring them in line with Pokémon. Other than that I have no qualm with the character limit.

Pretty much this.
#6Ultimate_Nova_X(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 12:11:20 PM
Refresh my memory, what was the char. limit for player characters?
---
~Chinese proverb
#7kirbydude385Posted 1/12/2013 12:14:58 PM
yeah six hiragana is quite a lot for a name (usually about 12 english letters)

hell i found i could use katakana to fit in some nicknames i thought of that wouldnt fit in english
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#8SBNetopirPosted 1/12/2013 12:17:30 PM
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
Refresh my memory, what was the char. limit for player characters?

In Pokemon Black, the character limit is 7 characters (in the US version, that is).
#9SirPiercePosted 1/12/2013 12:17:59 PM
SBNetopir posted...
jimrichards posted...

Pretty much this.

Yeah. After 2 years of Japanese in High School, I just went through my whole families' names. The longest is 4 characters. All are 3 except 4...James, Mike, Cathy, Pennie, Derrick, Autumn, Becca, Abigail and Abel.

So yeah...no way the average is 6. That's like saying that the average English name is 12 letters.
---
NNID - Aerontar.
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.
#10kirbydude385Posted 1/12/2013 12:28:30 PM
the limit for pokemon names in the japanese versions are also 5 characters

for example, Tynamo's japanese name is Shibishirasu which is 12 english letters, but the katakana are shi, bi, shi, ra, su which is 5
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous