This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Naming character limit too small. If you think that, you fall into the average.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Naming character limit too small. If you think that, you fall into the average.

User Info: Ultimate_Nova_X

Ultimate_Nova_X
3 years ago#1
Did a 2 minute research and found 2 interesting facts:

average length of English word is 4.5 letters. The length of an average first name will likely be higher.

average hiragana used to spell out a first name (only) in Japanese is a whopping 6.

Character limit is 10 for EN games and 5 for JP games.

I had no problem nicknaming my Pokes Sun Wukong and Zhu Bajie, but for my JP games, Son Goku was fine, but I had to get a little cleverly excluding when naming His sibling disciple.
"The benevolent see benevolence and the wise see wisdom."
~Chinese proverb

User Info: jimrichards

jimrichards
3 years ago#2
Average Hiragana to spell a first name is six? That sounds a bit odd to me. That would preclude that names like for instance Anamanaguchi (not a person's name anyway) are common, and I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that they are not. The longest legitimate Japanese name of which I've heard is Amaterasu, which is five characters.

However, from my experience I have found that three-kana names (such as Hikari, Naruto, Takuya, etc) are the most common, which are more often than not spelled with 6 English letters. Thus, the vast majority of Japanese players can fit their names within the five character limit easily.

The seven-character limit for player characters is a bit ridiculous I'll admit, leaving people like Alexander, Marianne, and Cornelius to use a shorter name. Ten characters would be more appropriate there, to bring them in line with Pokémon. Other than that I have no qualm with the character limit.
I would prefer to be known as BlackWaltzTheThird, or just Waltz for short.
Official Froakie of the Pokemon X boards.

Ultimate_Nova_X
3 years ago#3
Good find.
~Chinese proverb

User Info: FuneralCake

FuneralCake
3 years ago#4
jimrichards posted...
Anamanaguchi

Great band, though I really am not a fan of Meow.
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?

User Info: SBNetopir

SBNetopir
3 years ago#5
jimrichards posted...
Average Hiragana to spell a first name is six? That sounds a bit odd to me. That would preclude that names like for instance Anamanaguchi (not a person's name anyway) are common, and I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that they are not. The longest legitimate Japanese name of which I've heard is Amaterasu, which is five characters.

However, from my experience I have found that three-kana names (such as Hikari, Naruto, Takuya, etc) are the most common, which are more often than not spelled with 6 English letters. Thus, the vast majority of Japanese players can fit their names within the five character limit easily.

The seven-character limit for player characters is a bit ridiculous I'll admit, leaving people like Alexander, Marianne, and Cornelius to use a shorter name. Ten characters would be more appropriate there, to bring them in line with Pokémon. Other than that I have no qualm with the character limit.

Pretty much this.

Ultimate_Nova_X
3 years ago#6
Refresh my memory, what was the char. limit for player characters?
~Chinese proverb

User Info: kirbydude385

kirbydude385
3 years ago#7
yeah six hiragana is quite a lot for a name (usually about 12 english letters)

hell i found i could use katakana to fit in some nicknames i thought of that wouldnt fit in english
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous

User Info: SBNetopir

SBNetopir
3 years ago#8
Ultimate_Nova_X posted...
Refresh my memory, what was the char. limit for player characters?

In Pokemon Black, the character limit is 7 characters (in the US version, that is).

User Info: SirPierce

SirPierce
3 years ago#9
SBNetopir posted...
jimrichards posted...

Pretty much this.

Yeah. After 2 years of Japanese in High School, I just went through my whole families' names. The longest is 4 characters. All are 3 except 4...James, Mike, Cathy, Pennie, Derrick, Autumn, Becca, Abigail and Abel.

So yeah...no way the average is 6. That's like saying that the average English name is 12 letters.
NNID - Aerontar.
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.

User Info: kirbydude385

kirbydude385
3 years ago#10
the limit for pokemon names in the japanese versions are also 5 characters

for example, Tynamo's japanese name is Shibishirasu which is 12 english letters, but the katakana are shi, bi, shi, ra, su which is 5
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Naming character limit too small. If you think that, you fall into the average.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived