This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Concerns about the future "image" of pokemon.

#1bulbinkingPosted 1/12/2013 6:23:37 PM
Why does every new generation of pokemon have people wearing uglier and less practical clothing. Its almost like "future couture"

And the pokemon look the same as well "ADD MORE NEON! ADD MORE ZIGZAGS! ADD MORE CLASHING COLORS AND RANDOM DOHICKIES STICKING OUT OF ITS HEAD/BACK/LIMBS!"

Its like they are appealing to the japanese audience and ONLY the japanese audience. (people who watch anime will understand my correlation)

The game play is still fine, and so are the stories. There seems to be more powercreep though which is a bit disconcerting, but its nothing which ruins the game for me outside of making pokemon usable in competitive battling as linear as 3rd gen with 5x less predictability with all the new moves/abilities.

But..how all of the pokemon and characters look nowadays is just too "vibrant" and "different" and "unnatural" and feels like it would appeal more to a wide-eyed 9 year old japanese who grew up on colorful and fanciful asian cartoons. Which is fine, but the western appeal in art and character designs is almost non-existent anymore.

So basically I'm done with pokemon until they start making real time action battling system. Only then would the gameplay be more focused on more aspects then the imagery of the pokemon (focusing on commanding your pokemon and having individually trained it would produce more of an artificial bond then staring at an ugly sprite for hours on end, at least in my opinion)

Considering this is gfaqs where many people consider the persona series as "GLORIOUS NIPPON BEST GAMES EVAH!" and the pokemon board, I will probably get a lot of hate even though I'm saying its just my opinion and trying to reach out to any like minded people for comfort regarding what I feel is the slow death and ugly mutation of a beloved childhood franchise.

I can't be the only person who feels this way, can I?
---
poker-over-killing.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-was-gamefaqs-moderator-for-5-yrs.html
Stop the hate. Spread aspergers awareness http://www.aspergers.com/aspclin.html
#2NeonDragon9000Posted 1/12/2013 6:24:06 PM
ITT: Opinion = fact
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#3Catcher_FreemanPosted 1/12/2013 6:24:53 PM
0/10

Try harder next time.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#4FrankulaPosted 1/12/2013 6:25:20 PM
If you want real time pokemon battles, go play Project M
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#5FuneralCakePosted 1/12/2013 6:25:51 PM
Boo, nostalgia.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#6bulbinking(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 6:28:10 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...

How is saying "I feel like" the same as "I think it is". I never once presented my statements as facts, and I would bet you didn't even read my whole post.
---
#7AirBorneCoffeeTPosted 1/12/2013 6:38:33 PM
I don't think Pokemon has to worry about anti-anime sentiment in the general population. So I'd just let it's art style go what ever wacky direction it feels is natural.
---
"What are you waiting for, Mr. Howel? Start talking into a fish!"
-The Skipper (Early B & W episode of Gilligan's Island)
#8bulbinking(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 6:58:36 PM
AirBorneCoffeeT posted...
I don't think Pokemon has to worry about anti-anime sentiment in the general population. So I'd just let it's art style go what ever wacky direction it feels is natural.

I agree. Again, the new style isn't "bad" so much as its "unnatural" but in a fantasy sense of the word. Maybe it'll grow on me, but when comparing vulpix to the new fire starter its easy to see how body proportions and "body accessories" are more common in the newer generation, which takes me out of the fantasy that this could be a real world.
---
#9joker120Posted 1/12/2013 7:02:10 PM
The 9th pokemon in the dex has not one but two dohickeys sticking out of its back. The 150th pokemon had random seemingly unnecessary tubing. Argument is null.
---
soul silver FC:1505 7978 9391; pearl FC:3911 0786 2278
#10BenzychenzPosted 1/12/2013 7:04:23 PM
bulbinking posted...
NeonDragon9000 posted...

How is saying "I feel like" the same as "I think it is". I never once presented my statements as facts, and I would bet you didn't even read my whole post.

Because this is gamefaqs where you have to say IN MY OPINION after every sentence or people will think you're stating it as a fact.
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/2me5xv.jpg