This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Concerns about the future "image" of pokemon.

#41bulbinking(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 10:59:06 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
... Let me break down my arguments.

1. Manga and anime are never a good basis. Do I need to yell how Pikachu kills everything with a thunderbolt or can dodge unavoidable attacks?

Giving general movement wouldn't help slow ass Pokemon. In fact that would make them even more useless . Evade vs. Unavoidble attacks would make that useless in some instances, and considering certain Pokemon would still be above edge would make many others useless.

Also then you bring up luck as being less influenced? You are joking right? How you've proposed it with many random interactions, more fators, and the lack of knowing which Pokemon has each nature [with a minimum factor of 20+?) means if you set it like it is now, the game would be directly luck based.

Let me explain better. All attacks have same speed use, only movement speed is affected by the speed rating. There will be defend/dodge options as part of movement. You can set aggressive/defensive as general attack style then up-down-left-right-diagonal as your movement commands. Attacks and dodge/defend would be real-time, as in your pokemon would do those action as soon as you tell them to and their success rates would be based on pokemons abilities. There would be recovery times after attacks and dodging and recovery times between moves (more powerful moves would take longer to recover) It wouldn't be possible to avoid all attacks unless the other player was bad at commanding their pokemon and choosing when to dodge/defend/attack. Obviously ranged and physical attacks would be available and your distance to the target would affect the opponants pokemon being able to dodge the attack or not (think of hidden accuracy values which are applied to the dodge value when chosing to dodge. You cant dodge ten times in a row, and even if you trained your pokemon to dodge a lot it would have lower values in other areas like its recovery times for moves or defending or likelyhood of avoiding entry hazzards.

It also wouldn't be like current pokemon where one super effective move or critical hit can take out a pokemon.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg.
---
poker-over-killing.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-was-gamefaqs-moderator-for-5-yrs.html
Stop the hate. Spread aspergers awareness http://www.aspergers.com/aspclin.html
#42GallantChaddymnPosted 1/12/2013 11:04:12 PM
Based on TC's description, Id advise him/her to play a little game called :Digimon World Championship for the DS. It's pretty much what he/she described =P
---
Fennekin >>> Every other Gen 6 starter
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/d5r70a1
#43Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/12/2013 11:06:13 PM
bulbinking posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
... Let me break down my arguments.

1. Manga and anime are never a good basis. Do I need to yell how Pikachu kills everything with a thunderbolt or can dodge unavoidable attacks?

Giving general movement wouldn't help slow ass Pokemon. In fact that would make them even more useless . Evade vs. Unavoidble attacks would make that useless in some instances, and considering certain Pokemon would still be above edge would make many others useless.

Also then you bring up luck as being less influenced? You are joking right? How you've proposed it with many random interactions, more fators, and the lack of knowing which Pokemon has each nature [with a minimum factor of 20+?) means if you set it like it is now, the game would be directly luck based.

Let me explain better. All attacks have same speed use, only movement speed is affected by the speed rating. There will be defend/dodge options as part of movement. You can set aggressive/defensive as general attack style then up-down-left-right-diagonal as your movement commands. Attacks and dodge/defend would be real-time, as in your pokemon would do those action as soon as you tell them to and their success rates would be based on pokemons abilities. There would be recovery times after attacks and dodging and recovery times between moves (more powerful moves would take longer to recover) It wouldn't be possible to avoid all attacks unless the other player was bad at commanding their pokemon and choosing when to dodge/defend/attack. Obviously ranged and physical attacks would be available and your distance to the target would affect the opponants pokemon being able to dodge the attack or not (think of hidden accuracy values which are applied to the dodge value when chosing to dodge. You cant dodge ten times in a row, and even if you trained your pokemon to dodge a lot it would have lower values in other areas like its recovery times for moves or defending or likelyhood of avoiding entry hazzards.

It also wouldn't be like current pokemon where one super effective move or critical hit can take out a pokemon.

And thats just the tip of the iceberg.

The problem is a large amount of Pokemon in that system would still be useless.

You are confusing the idea by giving options that'll pull them out of said uslessness.

This isn't an RTS, class specifics (IE I mean all mechanics on one Pokemon) would still limit the uses of most Pokemon. This would be a real action RPG, and the problem remains:

1) RTRPGs use one person to know figurative sets for a class [all base mechanics] and general strats. [Demon Souls/etc. for instance]

2) This isn't an RTS, the ban worthy objects would be ridiculous in such a game. [taking into account whether abilities from general Pokemon exists]

Like I said before:

Subgame [non-main series] or bust.

3)There is no way to perfectly balance a competitive RPG which would instantly make it less strategic to do, and by adding again more variables you add more luck than what already exists within the series.
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#44banjo kazooiePosted 1/12/2013 11:12:36 PM
bulbinking posted...
Why does every new generation of pokemon have people wearing uglier and less practical clothing. Its almost like "future couture"

What?

http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?trainers

Point out to me which people are wearing any outfits that are impractical. And if you point to someone from the Pokestar Studios section, your example is invalid.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/