This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

X/Y need another game-changer. What do you think it should be?

#1Twilight_SonataPosted 1/13/2013 2:10:59 PM
Almost every generation has introduced some important game-changing mechanic:
GSC introduced breeding, held items, and two new important types,
RSE introduced abilities, natures, and move relearners.
DPP gave us the physical-special split and Wi-Fi trading and battling.
Only BW seems not to have given us something majority game-changing unless you count reusable TMs.

As much as I did love BW, I don't like that it didn't change the game the way that previous generations had. Looking forward to XY, do you want it to make major changes to the game? If so, what are some major changes that you'd like to see? I DON'T mean something small like move list alterations to previous Pokemon (Flareon gets Flare Blitz), typing alterations to previous Pokemon (Charizard becomes Fire/Dragon), changes to the mechanics of existing moves (Stealth Rock gets nerfed), or anything like that. I mean something that changes how we play the game, something that shakes up which Pokemon are good or bad, something that changes how we think of battling.

Example:

Pokemon work using RPG elements, but what about trainers? Trainers themselves currently have no stats, no abilities, no nothing, only a sprite; they only influence the battle by telling Pokemon what to do. What if trainers had skills of their own? Anybody who's played Pokemon Conquest may have some idea what I'm talking about, where different warriors had different abilities of their own that they could use once per battle.

What if we added something like that to Pokemon, RPG elements for trainers themselves? They don't have to be big, but I still think it could add something interesting to the game. Maybe everybody starts off with one very simple ability (for example, boost accuracy one stage), but they get to pick a new ability from an ability tree every time they get a badge and then when they become champion. At the highest levels, you may be able to do something as crazy as switch out a Pokemon and let your new Pokemon act immediately in the same turn.

You can only have one ability at a time, they don't take up a turn the way that using an item does, and you can only use them once; you regain use when you heal your Pokemon at a Pokemon center and can also switch out which of your learned abilities you'll be using here. In the post-game, you'll be able to find somebody to let you entirely redo your ability tree selections, so you're not locked into it forever (important because you can't catch more trainer the way that you do Pokemon).

So, if you could add one major game-changer, what would it be?
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#2SSBBSBPosted 1/13/2013 2:12:39 PM
I need a second nap.
---
All humans are creepy in their own way. - ggghhh3
#3SSBBSBPosted 1/13/2013 2:13:13 PM
No HMs.
---
All humans are creepy in their own way. - ggghhh3
#4KeeperOfShadowsPosted 1/13/2013 2:15:42 PM
Honestly I like your trainer abilities idea. Though it'd have to stay in-game. I can already imagine the whining if something like that was used in competitive battles.

"Waaah! I should of outsped him! How was I gonna know he made his pokemon faster?! Waaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!
---
I am The Defender of Darkness. The Knight of Nothingness. The Master of Murkiness.
I am the Keeper of Shadows, AND I WILL RULE YOU!!
#5NanaboboPosted 1/13/2013 2:18:25 PM
You know an idea I had for trainers? Depending on your trainer class, one for each type, you'd get a passive ability. For instance...

Dragon Tamer- opponents' Dragon-type attacks have a higher chance to miss
Burglar- Dark-type moves have a chance of rendering an opponent's item unable to be used
Archaeologist- While using a Ground-type Pokemon, there is a chance the opponent will not be able to switch Pokemon for a turn
Rocker- Any charge move (Solar Beam, Hyper Beam, etc.) used by an Electric-type does twice as much
etc.
---
White FC: 1034 0534 2444
#6P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 1/13/2013 2:22:49 PM
Just think of Gens I-IV as Alpha builds. After that blueprint has been made, there's not reason to keep changing things. Certainly there will be upgrades, but the battle system is set.
---
Official Lugia of the Pokemon BW2 Boards
#7The_Undying_84Posted 1/13/2013 2:24:32 PM
SSBBSB posted...
No HMs.

This.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#8KingTumbleweedPosted 1/13/2013 2:25:38 PM
Ridable Pokes. Once you get them to high enough friendship, you ride 'em. Ranger Style.
---
I'm your imaginary friend, make me chips.
Official Ferrothorn of Pokemon X/Y boards.
#9Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 2:27:22 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
Honestly I like your trainer abilities idea. Though it'd have to stay in-game. I can already imagine the whining if something like that was used in competitive battles.
"Waaah! I should of outsped him! How was I gonna know he made his pokemon faster?! Waaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

I don't see the problem. If it's only once per battle, it's not a big deal. Not knowing what skill the enemy trainer has is no different than not knowing what moves their Pokemon have or what items their Pokemon are holding. Plus, ANY big change will make the competitive scene whine until they get used to it. But that's part of the fun too. Shaking up the competitive scene isn't a bad thing. It keeps it fresh and dynamic rather than allowing it to become stagnant.

P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Just think of Gens I-IV as Alpha builds. After that blueprint has been made, there's not reason to keep changing things.

That would be fine if the game were currently perfect and had absolutely no room to grow, but that's not the case. There are still a lot of new things that can be done. Plus, avoiding stagnation is a great reason to keep changing things. Pokemon already gets enough crap as a franchise from people who think they're all basically the same game. What keeps the game going is that the people who are really into it know that those people are wrong. If they were right, that would be a problem.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#10NightWatch177Posted 1/13/2013 3:00:56 PM
Nothing fancy, just some type rebalancing.

Poison > Water
Poison > Bug
Ice > Water
Some others I can't think of right now, maybe.

And I may well get chastised for this, but adding Sound type.
Exploud line
Chatot
Meloetta Aria Forme
Maybe Wigglytuff line
MAYBE Yanmega line?
Moves like Hyper Voice, Sing, etc.

SE against:
Ice (shatters it - although Ice doesn't really need MORE weaknesses, jury's out on this one)
Psychic (puts them off)
Steel (sound reverberates it, or something?)

Weak to:
Poison (throat infection, etc)
Flying (no air, no sound)
Dark (snuck up on, can't make a noise to call for alarm, etc?)

Resisted by:
Grass (try shouting at a plant)
Flying (move out of earshot/birds are more alert after a loud noise)

Resists:
Psychic (again, distracting)
Ghost (lalala can't hear the scary monsters)

Eeh, needs a lot of reworking/balancing/testing. Dissect as you will.
---
GT: Corrupted177 - Play Halo Reach, Dark Souls, Armored Core V, Borderlands GOTY and Dragon's Dogma.
NNID: NightWatchman177 - Play Nintendoland and ZombiU.