This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My thoughts on the Starters' typings.

#1NightWatch177Posted 1/13/2013 2:26:43 PM
It's that time again folks, for a faceless community member to rattle on about their opinions and pretend it matters to anybody!

So.

While Water/Fighting would no doubt be amazing for Froakie, it'll just be a better Poliwrath. Water/Psychic, maybe, but between the Slowfamily and Starmie, there's little left to be covered by the typing.
Having a water frog AGAIN in general irks me a little, but considering it's second shown move, I'm predicting Water/Fighting.

Fennekin, for the love of god better stay bipedial. Fire/Psychic would be nice, but again will likely blow Ninetales out of the water. Fire/Dark, too many Houndoom/Zoroark connotations. Fire/Fighting is just a no. Pure fire, again, done to death. Fire/Ground with some speed would be awesome, frankly, maybe a Special orientated one. However, that second move points to not likely.

Chespin. Grass/Dark is possible, but considering it's only relevance to that right now is what could be Night Slash, I'm thinking no. It doesn't -look- like it'll be a Dark Type. Apart from Corphish, most basic pokemon that are/will be Dark generally look it.
Grass/Fighting, Grass/Steel, Grass/Rock and Grass/Ground all have pretty iconic pokes representing already, Grass/Rock could work with the chesnut theme, especially if it becomes a mammalian ankylosaur, with the club tail. An offensive Cradily would be wonderful, the typing has great synergy. Plus, a hedgehog poke is begging for Defense Curl + Rollout. Pure Grass may work, but wouldn't be too thrilling.

Overall:
Water/Fighting
Fire/Ground
Grass/Rock

Would be my preference. Water/Psychic and Fire/Psychic are fine too, but I like how each type is Special/Physical, from before the split. Grass has the disadvantage, but its -awesome- would make up for it.

Feel free to weigh in.
---
GT: Corrupted177 - Play Halo Reach, Dark Souls, Armored Core V, Borderlands GOTY and Dragon's Dogma.
NNID: NightWatchman177 - Play Nintendoland and ZombiU.
#2RoanarkPosted 1/13/2013 2:30:41 PM
Chespin's move in the trailer is almost certainly aerial ace, if you re-watch the part the purple blur is not the attack, just an effect, the attack is two slashes, one up and one down.
There's a topic on it (recent-ish) and a user was even kind enough to create a .gif, on page three or four.
I would talk more about the topic but sadly I have to be to work soon.
#3lyle81992Posted 1/13/2013 2:31:35 PM
I think that the possible typings for the Starters are:

Fennekin-Fire,Fire/Psychic,Fire/Normal

Chespin-Grass,Grass/Dark,Grass/Ghost,Grass/Fighting,Grass/Normal

Froakie-Water,Water/Flying(it appears to have a cloud on its back),Water/Ice,Water/Fighting
---
Pokemon Black FC-1592 4693 9258
#4KeeperOfShadowsPosted 1/13/2013 2:34:34 PM
NightWatch177 posted...

Overall:
Water/Fighting
Fire/Ground
Grass/Rock

Would be my preference. Water/Psychic and Fire/Psychic are fine too, but I like how each type is Special/Physical, from before the split. Grass has the disadvantage, but its -awesome- would make up for it.

Feel free to weigh in.

Actually Fire has the disadvantage here, being 4x weak to water and having both its STABs neutralized by the Grass/Rock combination(which does the same thing in reverse).
At least the Grass poke would be able to hit the Water type supereffectively. Water/Fighting comes out on top for the most part though.
---
I am The Defender of Darkness. The Knight of Nothingness. The Master of Murkiness.
I am the Keeper of Shadows, AND I WILL RULE YOU!!
#5The_Undying_84Posted 1/13/2013 2:40:24 PM
When you say Fennekin better stay bipedal, you mean quadrupedal.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#6scrappybristolPosted 1/13/2013 2:43:10 PM
Froakie: Water/Electric
Fennekin: Fire/Psychic
Chespin: Grass/Normal

Read it and weep.
---
Ring Ring
#7NightWatch177(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 2:45:55 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
NightWatch177 posted...

Overall:
Water/Fighting
Fire/Ground
Grass/Rock

Feel free to weigh in.

Actually Fire has the disadvantage here, being 4x weak to water and having both its STABs neutralized by the Grass/Rock combination(which does the same thing in reverse).
At least the Grass poke would be able to hit the Water type supereffectively. Water/Fighting comes out on top for the most part though.

Ah, valid point. Although there's generally a 'superior' starter in terms of type match ups, so it doesn't unduly worry me.

And also, in the OP, I DID mean 'quadrupedial' for Fennekin's evolutions. Had a brainfart.

I'd use the hell out of a Grass/Rock Chespin. Bro of the year all years. That orange tipped tail is begging for a great conker mace.
---
GT: Corrupted177 - Play Halo Reach, Dark Souls, Armored Core V, Borderlands GOTY and Dragon's Dogma.
NNID: NightWatchman177 - Play Nintendoland and ZombiU.
#8CrapFactoryPosted 1/13/2013 2:53:33 PM
Fire / Dark
Water / Psychic
Grass / Fighting

The fire / dark is going to look kind of like a large fox with streaks of dark black. Kind of evil looking with dark around the eyes and stuff. Narutoish (though not the same at all).

The Water d00d's final form is kind of Wizard. That thing on his nose has evolved into a monocle, has kind of a while cloudy beard thing going, much fatter and eyes aren't as ridiculous looking.

The Grass guy's final evolution looks like... well the grassy part of him kind of turns into a slick and sleek cowl and hood made of leaves.

Working in the industry has it's perks. :)