This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So,I have never played a Pokemon game

#1talesofzeldaPosted 1/13/2013 8:15:58 PM
Except Pokemon snap many years ago.

I'v owned every Nintendo console and handheld since the NES - Virtual Boy. And I'm thinking about getting this game since Pokemon is basically the most popular handheld franchise. Is now a good time to start? Or should I maybe go back and play some of the older ones.
---
Loving the Wii U! Fire Emblem Awakening 2/4/13
#2LightningAce11Posted 1/13/2013 8:16:46 PM
Get older ones first
---
Official Zapdos of the Pokemon X/Y Message Boards
#3Roc_RaidaPosted 1/13/2013 8:17:39 PM
Get newer ones first
#4talesofzelda(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 8:18:06 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
Get older ones first

A particular gen you would recommend?
---
#5Meta289Posted 1/13/2013 8:18:28 PM
I recommend that you start out with the newer games, since they are more user friendly, and the gameplay mechanics are so much better than the older ones.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
The Pokemon Cycle. Don't deny its existence.
#6jayman7Posted 1/13/2013 8:19:19 PM
You could get one of the DS games; we really can't guarantee that these will be awesome games at this point.

Black and White had the best story (they're nearly the same game, so which one you pick doesn't matter much). Black 2 and White 2 have the most variety of stuff to do; plotwise they directly follow Black and White 1. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are throwbacks to the first two generations, but if you didn't play the first two generations, that will probably matter a lot less to you. Platinum is a solid choice as well, and I'd recommend it over Diamond or Pearl.

As for the games themselves, they're basically turn-based RPGs, except that you can capture the random encounters and use them to fight for you (the human characters literally cannot fight at all; Pokemon do all the fighting.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#7SR71haloPosted 1/13/2013 8:20:50 PM
I say get one of the DS games. That should tide you over until this game comes out, and you will be familiar with the game mechanics.
---
Now Leave!
#8Koryu111Posted 1/13/2013 8:22:44 PM
You should play them in order :D.

Fire Red/Leaf Green.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Emerald.
Platinum.
Black/White.
Black 2/White 2.

I actually like them all but I'd say do them in gen order :P
---
Gamertag: Animas Rage PSN:Koryu111
"I found this weapon. It's really powerful, especially against living things!"
#9talesofzelda(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 8:22:46 PM
jayman7 posted...
You could get one of the DS games; we really can't guarantee that these will be awesome games at this point.

Black and White had the best story (they're nearly the same game, so which one you pick doesn't matter much). Black 2 and White 2 have the most variety of stuff to do; plotwise they directly follow Black and White 1. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are throwbacks to the first two generations, but if you didn't play the first two generations, that will probably matter a lot less to you. Platinum is a solid choice as well, and I'd recommend it over Diamond or Pearl.

As for the games themselves, they're basically turn-based RPGs, except that you can capture the random encounters and use them to fight for you (the human characters literally cannot fight at all; Pokemon do all the fighting.)

Thank you very much :) very helpful. Nothing like an opinion from what seems a dedicated fan.
---
#10RAPTall1Posted 1/13/2013 8:23:11 PM
Trying to cram in every gen might be quite a daunting task. If you want to streamline which games you play, I'd suggest Heartgold/Soulsilver, Platinum, and one of the gen 5 games. I haven't played B2/W2 myself yet, so I can't say if it'd be a better or worse choice versus B/W.

Of course if you have time, find a gen 3 game too, along with the gen 3 remakes of gen 1. Firered/Leafgreen is the beginning of the series (well, remakes of the beginning) and wouldn't be too bad to start on. Gen 2 games have a watered-down version of the gen 1 map after you beat the main game, but it would give you the basic idea of how it was set up. I'd say gen 4 or 5 would also be decent starting places.
---
SS FC: 3653-5956-7380
White FC: 0346-8581-1315