This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So,I have never played a Pokemon game

#11jayman7Posted 1/13/2013 8:31:49 PM
You can play the third-gen games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green) if you want to, but I would strongly recommend against playing anything older than those - and I know I'll hear complaints from some nostalgia whores by saying so, but I stand by it. The remakes are more streamlined, have better options, are less buggy (though admittedly some of the first-gen bugs are "legendary" among some of the fandom, the rest just aren't worth bothering with) and are transfer-compatible with the modern games, letting you keep any Pokemon you get in them.

If you have a DS Phat or Lite, you can transfer from the third gen to the fourth (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver).

If you have two DSes, you can transfer from the fourth to the fifth (Black and White and their sequels).

Technically, we don't know that the fifth-gen will be transfer-compatible with the sixth, but I don't see why it shouldn't be.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#12summerclawPosted 1/13/2013 8:34:42 PM
I saw get either.

Black/White

Or Platinum. If you loved Platinum then you can get Heart Gold/Soul Silver since it's a remake of a classic but with the new elements.

Do Not Get the originals, the changes from those to Pokemon Y, will overwhelm you.
---
In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny
And each regret and each goodbye was a mistake too great to hide.
#13Soanevalcke6Posted 1/13/2013 8:36:44 PM
I would Highly Recommend Playing HeartGold/SoulSilver and Maybe Platinum before this release. HG/SS improved on it's base material so much that, While Gold/Silver suck, HeartGold/SoulSilver are the Best Pokemon Games to date.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6 // http://www.backloggery.com/soanevalcke6
#14jayman7Posted 1/13/2013 8:40:21 PM
I would also like to throw this out: the games are pretty good about teaching the basics that even if you start with Black or White 2 (the most direct sequels the main games have ever seen), you shouldn't feel too lost. There's always an NPC early in the games more than happy to explain what all the most important places in the towns are, and to demonstrate how to catch Pokemon, and all that nice stuff (which may actually be a minor annoyance to a long-time fan, but they do stop doing that after the second town or so.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#15OldDirtyCRPosted 1/13/2013 8:43:21 PM
Koryu111 posted...
You should play them in order :D.

Fire Red/Leaf Green.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Emerald.
Platinum.
Black/White.
Black 2/White 2.

I actually like them all but I'd say do them in gen order :P

I can't agree with your order for someone who has never played pokemon. (But I do agree that playing in order of release would be a good idea for an old pokemon fan) Most likely he's going to pick up Fire Red and find it hard to play visually and feature wise and it may completely turn him off to the franchise.

I suggest

Platinum -> Black -> Black 2.

Platinum is solid and would be a great introduction to the series. It doesn't feel dated or anything and has a decent amount of content. Black and Black 2 are both connected so I'd suggest playing them back to back.
#16Koryu111Posted 1/14/2013 10:49:59 PM
OldDirtyCR posted...
Koryu111 posted...

Fire Red/Leaf Green.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Emerald.
Platinum.
Black/White.
Black 2/White 2.

I can't agree with your order for someone who has never played pokemon. (But I do agree that playing in order of release would be a good idea for an old pokemon fan) Most likely he's going to pick up Fire Red and find it hard to play visually and feature wise and it may completely turn him off to the franchise.

I suggest

Platinum -> Black -> Black 2.

Platinum is solid and would be a great introduction to the series. It doesn't feel dated or anything and has a decent amount of content. Black and Black 2 are both connected so I'd suggest playing them back to back.

I was going more for story-wise. HG/SS Would make a little more sense at the kanto part of the game if he played FR/LG. But you do have a point.
---
Gamertag: Animas Rage PSN:Koryu111
"I found this weapon. It's really powerful, especially against living things!"
#17rrk1991Posted 1/14/2013 10:54:43 PM

Fire Red/Leaf Green.
Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Emerald.
Platinum.
Black/White.
Black 2/White 2.

i support this...I actually suggested my younger brother do the same thing to get into pokemon. Going from gen 3 to gen 4 back to gen 3 will be confusing because of the phys/spec split though.
#18MM125Posted 1/14/2013 11:15:15 PM
I'd recommend Black/White or B2W2, since if you wanna transfer Pokémon into X/Y, you'll need one of those. But yeah, any DS game that isn't Diamond or Pearl is a solid choice.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket
#19airfoemoePosted 1/14/2013 11:42:04 PM(edited)
I recommend Pok'emon White Version (Get White 2 after deciding if you liked this game). If you can stand the older interfaces, start with Leafgreen. If you ever play Heartgold you should definitely play Leafgreen before it. For the rest, Pok'emon R/S/Emerald > Platinum/Diamond.
---
http://www.schtserv.com/connect.php
^ go here if u wanna play Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube, Dreamcast,and PC (for free)
#20Soanevalcke6Posted 1/15/2013 7:06:21 AM
Play in this Order:

Emerald
FireRed/LeafGreen
HeartGold/SoulSilver
Platinum
Black/White
Black2/White2
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6 // http://www.backloggery.com/soanevalcke6