This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Replaying Pokemon Red

#11beebarbPosted 1/14/2013 4:43:28 PM
Benzychenz posted...
Nah, my cartridge doesn't save anymore ;_;

There is an easy fix for that. Though you have to know what you are doing.

The old Game Boy games didn't use flash memory for saving like GBA/DS/3DS games do. They used SRAM, which was a volatile type of memory that would lose it's contents if power was lost.

As a result they required a battery to support the SRAM. This posed a problem when Gold/Silver/Crystal came along, as they added a Real Time Clock chip that caused the battery to drain twice as fast.

When Ruby and Sapphire came around on the GBA, they still had a battery, but solely for the RTC chip meaning a flat battery in those games isn't an issue.

Anyway, here is a good page on Game Boy Cartridge battery replacement:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-replace-the-battery-in-a-pokemon-goldsilve/#step1

It covers replacing the battery in a copy of Pokemon Gold, but the instructions will apply to all Game Boy games.

CAUTION: Be sure to ground yourself by touching a metal surface first, as any static electricity could render the circuit board of the cartridge non-functional.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#12Rizaadon007Posted 1/15/2013 2:22:47 AM
beebarb posted...
Benzychenz posted...
Nah, my cartridge doesn't save anymore ;_;

There is an easy fix for that. Though you have to know what you are doing.

The old Game Boy games didn't use flash memory for saving like GBA/DS/3DS games do. They used SRAM, which was a volatile type of memory that would lose it's contents if power was lost.

As a result they required a battery to support the SRAM. This posed a problem when Gold/Silver/Crystal came along, as they added a Real Time Clock chip that caused the battery to drain twice as fast.

When Ruby and Sapphire came around on the GBA, they still had a battery, but solely for the RTC chip meaning a flat battery in those games isn't an issue.

Anyway, here is a good page on Game Boy Cartridge battery replacement:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-replace-the-battery-in-a-pokemon-goldsilve/#step1

It covers replacing the battery in a copy of Pokemon Gold, but the instructions will apply to all Game Boy games.

CAUTION: Be sure to ground yourself by touching a metal surface first, as any static electricity could render the circuit board of the cartridge non-functional.

You're awesome, you know that? I've needed to fix my Gold version for some time now.
---
"Welcome to the Velvet Monorail! This place resides between Dream and Universal Studios!" -Cantido on how the Velvet Room changes from game to game.
#13Infectedglore2Posted 1/15/2013 2:49:58 AM
You should nuzlocke it. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable