This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen V really shouldn't have been a reboot.

#1GastroidPosted 1/14/2013 12:38:28 PM
Now that Gen VI is coming out and it is looking like it'll be a mover and a shaker game, looking back, Gen V was really ill suited to be a reboot. I would have much preferred the whole new region in the new spot in the timeline with a whole new set of Pokemon to go with the new game of the new console with new graphics.

That isn't to say that Gen VI can't or won't do the same thing (although it probably won't be as disconnected with how old Pokemon have been shown), but two in a row doesn't really have the same effect, you know?
---
Judicoid
Judicator-variant Android
#2VoidBeyondPosted 1/14/2013 12:39:30 PM
It wasn't a reboot? It was just a throw back to the originals.
---
GT: Dethrow2112
PSN: DuodecimKnight
#3ChacronicPosted 1/14/2013 12:44:33 PM
I don't think reboot means what you think it means. Pretty sure many of the ingame text makes gen V to be set years after the other gens.
---
"Trouble keeps you running faster, Save the planet from disaster!" ~ Sonic Boom
If they turn the tables, just flip them over! - Aegis P4Arena
#4Gastroid(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 12:46:50 PM(edited)
It was as close to one as Pokemon will probably get, and so is generally referred to as a reboot. It isn't a real reboot, but certainly one of sorts that disconnected itself from the previous games a lot more than the others.
---
Judicoid
#5SlimeStackPosted 1/14/2013 12:46:12 PM
Ruby & Sapphire were more of a reboot. :S
---
Professional Chespin fanboy.
Currently banned from: complaining about IVs
#6jayman7Posted 1/14/2013 12:47:05 PM
Gastroid posted...
It was as close to one as Pokemon will probably get, and so is generally referred to as a reboot.

The THIRD gen is the closest Pokemon's likely to get to being a reboot. It's the first (and so far only) time they broke compatibility and made sweeping changes to the underlying system.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#7overmaxxPosted 1/14/2013 12:47:43 PM(edited)
It wasn't a reboot.

Technically, the reboot is gen 3, because it completely severed the previous games from continuity. As in Pokemon in Gen 1 and 2 cannot move to Gen 3 and forward.
#8kakashik99992Posted 1/14/2013 12:49:56 PM
R/S were a reboot while B/W weren't
---
My pokemon run http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
#9MM125Posted 1/14/2013 12:51:36 PM
Ignoring the terminology debate, I have to agree with the TC's actual point.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket
#10Gastroid(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 12:55:06 PM
It's funny how on the B/W boards for years I saw the term thrown around without debate and it's now that people want to debate it. After dozens of topics, "reboot of sorts" is ingrained into my mind.
---
Judicoid