This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want IVs (Individual Values) to be removed from Pokemon games?

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 1/14/2013 3:42:14 PM
Do you want IVs (Individual Values) to be removed from Pokemon games? - Results (175 votes)
Yes.
62.86% (110 votes)
No.
37.14% (65 votes)
This poll is now closed.
For people who don't know what IVs are...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

I think IVs should be removed because they are bad for the game competitively.

Let me address some concerns and counter arguments about this idea.

IVs promote hard work in getting Pokemon with good stats and reward people who put in the time.

Wrong, EVs and Natures promote hard work and reward people who put time into raising their Pokemon. EVs are 100% controllable (although the developers apparently still feel the need to hide the EV stat from you anyway when there should just be a device in the game that shows you the numbers clearly), and natures are 1/25, which is not TOO unreasonable. IVs reward people who happen to be lucky, or cheat, since the probability of getting 31 IVs in all stats even when all tricks are used is highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely.

IVs make the game more realistic because living things of the same species in real life have different genetics that make them different.

This is Pokemon, not a real life simulator, and more then that, realism is no excuse to have a competitive game be random and unfair. Can you imagine if you played a Call of Duty game, and every time you spawned your character had a slightly different running speed because it would be realistic that not all people run at the same speed? Or Starcraft 2 where every biological unit spawned with damage and defense variances of 5 damage because it's "realistic" that not every Zealot is genetically identical? Why aren't competitive games like that, it would be more realistic wouldn't it? Because it would be incredibly unfair.

And if you REALLY care about same species of Pokemon have different stats, Natures and EVs do that already, but are much more reasonable to control.

I wouldn't be able to transfer my Pokemon from previous games since they use IVs.

You would transfer them to the 3DS version, you wouldn't be able to transfer them back (as it is with all generation changes). Upon transfer all your Pokemon will have their IVs raised to 31 and their stats would be changed to reflect what they should be at their level.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2levyjl1988Posted 1/14/2013 4:12:56 PM
The thing with Pokemon is you want to have a balanced game. Those who play Pokemon casually will always be destroyed by those who RNG, EV, etc in a way you are making the game to feel like a chore than having fun. Of course this can in fact extend the replay value of your game, but does one really want to battle and knock out the same Pokemon over and over again to increase a certain stat? Sounds exhausting especially raising Pokemon eggs. Finding one with a certain IV then amongst the rest disposing of them. Sends a wrong message to let Pokemon go just because they were born with a defect.

I think this needs to change, have a way for casuals to compete with hardcore much like in a fighting game. But have enough depth to create a meta game. Which of course this sounds pretty difficult and I'm not sure how much effort was made to change the overall game mechanics. I guess casuals won't care about these changes, but when they face others they get destroyed.

Also it won't be too long until someone reverse engineers the Pokemon games to reveal it's coding and the way it works. I guess it ruins the mystery of Pokemon and in the end they become numbers that are dependent on value.

Abuse the system and we get shiny legendaries plaguing the GTS with unnatural stats and attacks. Whatever happened to putting effort in Pokemon without the use of aids like frame counters, and etc. Then again this is a double edged sword, and GameFreak has to find a way to appeal to both the casuals and hardcore.

In Nintendo's mind they care about sales, but for the fans, we want something even deeper.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#3CrapFactoryPosted 1/14/2013 4:14:28 PM
IVs are terrible as is. I mean, you can easily find out later your starter is IV screwed. I think they should add a way to train your IVs though and not get rid of them.
#4overmaxxPosted 1/14/2013 4:16:11 PM
Yes.

Awful mechanic with literally no benefits to anyone.
#5Second_ChancesPosted 1/14/2013 4:16:56 PM
No. They've been a staple since the start, and just blindly removing good features is a terrible thing.

If anything, I'd rather see them have even more impact, if only to see the people who won't stop being butthurt over them get even more butthurt.
#6FuneralCakePosted 1/14/2013 4:17:15 PM
9 people reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally like bicycles.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#7DracovianPosted 1/14/2013 4:17:18 PM
overmaxx posted...
Yes.

Awful mechanic with literally no benefits to anyone.

Well it does benefit whoever has the higher speed IVs in mirror matches.
---
"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what." - Dr. House
#8overmaxxPosted 1/14/2013 4:17:53 PM
Second_Chances posted...
No. They've been a staple since the start, and just blindly removing good features is a terrible thing.

If anything, I'd rather see them have even more impact, if only to see the people who won't stop being butthurt over them get even more butthurt.

Speaks of blindly doing things.
Defends it for no reason with no argument.
#9DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 4:38:26 PM(edited)
@levyjl1988

I said it in another topic, but I feel that because every new Pokemon game release breaks the sales records of the previous game, Nintendo doesn't give a crap about making the game fair and balanced since having the game unfair and unbalanced clearly isn't effecting sales.

IVs are only 1 of the many (although one of the worst) problems with the game competitively.

And about making the game more playable to casuals and players of different skill levels, most games accomplish this by having a ladder that pairs you with people who have similar points and rankings (decided around your wins and losses against people of different points and rankings). You know, like Starcraft 2, and some fighting games have.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#10levyjl1988Posted 1/14/2013 4:20:43 PM
Remove IVs leave luck and all that to the battlefield, not in raising or getting a Pokemon. Luck factor should only be based on encounters of Pokemon stats, lvl, and shiny. That is it.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/