This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What about a change to the STAB mechanic...

#1The_OllynatorPosted 1/14/2013 4:05:48 PM
Out of curiosity, who would be in favour of a change to the STAB mechanic, such that primary and secondary typing is taken into consideration?

For example, instead of the flat "x 1.5" flat rate currently employed, we use a system where it's "x 1.6" for primary type moves and "x 1.3" for secondary type moves. I understand that something of this nature might be considered needlessly complex, but it would certainly shake up the current meta-game more than the simple introduction of new pokemon. This would mean that Carracosta would have more powerful water moves than Kaputops, but Kaputops would have the edge on Rock moves (despite both having water and rock typing).

Any particular arguments for/against? If you are 'for' it, then what multiplicative factors would you suggest if the 1.6/1.3 don't work for you?
---
"The next statement is true. The previous statement was false." ~ Stephen Colbert
3DS FC: 3308-4568-6063 (Olly) NNID: Omega613 (Olly)
#2pmackinnonPosted 1/14/2013 4:08:09 PM
Nobody would favor this.
---
hee hee hee
Official Natu of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#3GoldenSun3DSPosted 1/14/2013 4:11:46 PM
Type weaknesses and resistances should be half based on one and half on the other. 4x and 0.5x weaknesses are stupid. A Pokemon made up of half water and half flying shouldn't be weaker to electric than one that is pure water or pure flying.
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4!
http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/ | http://facebook.com/pages/Operation-Sunrise/371417546251291
#4IcyFlamez96Posted 1/14/2013 4:12:30 PM
A little violent don't ya think?
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
PSASBR Main: Ratchet, PSN: xQziCyFlaMeZxQz, msg to _krat0s_: K
#5FFnutPosted 1/14/2013 4:13:50 PM
The_Ollynator posted...
Any particular arguments for/against? If you are 'for' it, then what multiplicative factors would you suggest if the 1.6/1.3 don't work for you?

I'm definitely "for" but as you said, the 1.6/1.3 doesn't really work for me. I'd say something along the lines of 1.5x for the primary type and... let's say 1.5x for the secondary type. That sounds better to me.
---
Official Naoya of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
#6The_Ollynator(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 4:15:12 PM
Nobody would favor this.

I eagerly anticipate your argument.

You are also indirectly calling me 'nobody' since I am slightly in favour, but looking to hear input before making any sort of final verdict. I agree it would bring a lot of change to the present system, but why is everyone so afraid of change? Is no one else finding the competitive side slightly bland after so many years? I also find the present game to have an overly offensive focus (since ~gen 4) - curbing the STAB power slightly and weighing it based on primary/secondary type would likely (in my opinion) shift things to be more defensive.
---
"The next statement is true. The previous statement was false." ~ Stephen Colbert
#7FuneralCakePosted 1/14/2013 4:15:37 PM
FFnut posted...
I'm definitely "for" but as you said, the 1.6/1.3 doesn't really work for me. I'd say something along the lines of 1.5x for the primary type and... let's say 1.5x for the secondary type. That sounds better to me.

I don't know, I kind of have to disagree with that. I think it should be 1.5 for the secondary type instead, and 1.5 for the primary type. I think it works better that way.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#8The_Ollynator(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 4:15:58 PM
The_Ollynator posted...

Haha, clever :P
---
#9Twilight_SonataPosted 1/14/2013 4:22:08 PM
I'd be cool with this. Primary type gives 1.5x STAB, secondary gives 1.25x STAB. I could -maybe- get behind altering weaknesses and resistances, but I don't think that's as necessary and could easily result in some weird results.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#10bretonftwPosted 1/14/2013 4:23:36 PM
GoldenSun3DS posted...
Type weaknesses and resistances should be half based on one and half on the other. 4x and 0.5x weaknesses are stupid. A Pokemon made up of half water and half flying shouldn't be weaker to electric than one that is pure water or pure flying.

Well I guess that's the weakness of having two STAB's.
---
FROAKIE!