This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the Digimon Anime so much better then the pokemon Anime?

#31pokemega32Posted 1/14/2013 10:30:56 PM
Because the Pokemon anime is essentially a sport anime with monster fighting as the sport.

Digimon is actually an action series with goals beyond "win tournaments."
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#32DarkDragon386Posted 1/14/2013 10:31:23 PM
Adventure and Adventure 02 may be two of my favorite shows ever. Haven't seen an episode of Tamers yet, but from what I hear, it is really good. Tried to get into Frontier, but just couldn't. I hated that it took the aspect of the monsters helping the kids and instead just had the kids evolve into monsters.

That said, pretty much anything entertains me somewhat. I love the Pokemon Anime. But the first two seasons of Digimon blow it away. What I liked about Digimon Adventures was that every episode followed a storyline and it continued with the next. Pokemon had a few strings of episodes like that, such as the "St. Anne, Pokemon Shipwreck, and the Giant Pokemon Island" string, But, in Adventures, every episode followed into the next one. And if you missed an episode or two, you may not be totally lost, but the plot wasn't as clear.

That said, Digimon games get too much hate. I loved the first three Digimon Worlds. However, Pokemon blows all of them away.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#33warnerbromanPosted 1/14/2013 10:36:07 PM
Well it's probably numerous factors, but I think the biggest would have to be that Digimon doesn't really have a source material. Yeah it has the Digimon dictionary and the like but it's mostly background information like that of the Pokedex, there isn't a story they have to draw from like Pokemon with the games so they can make their own story from scratch as much as they want. This probably allowed them to not only be more flexible when it came to the first two seasons but also allowed them to reboot when each individual setting had ran its course.

As for the seasons, Tamers is my favorite with Adventure at close second, but I also like the other seasons for different reasons.

...Except Hunters, that can burn in the core of the hottest sun for all I care.

Lexifox posted...
Umuru posted...
warnerbroman posted...
Pokemon doesn't have fanservice like digimon.

Oh late Savers Rosemon. You were quite... something else. >_>

Too young to remember Angewomon? Or the Angewomon/Lady Devimon catfight?

Angewomon and Ladydevimon look like nuns compared to Savers Rosemon and especially Mervamon.

Dominatrix Lilithmon
---
I never heard of warnerbroman [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/chun-lifan/chun-li/prima2.jpg[/IMG] you can't stop staring can you?
#34ChronoAcePosted 1/14/2013 10:37:41 PM
Yeah the Digimon Anime was always way better than Pokemon's Anime. Unfortunately the games come no where close to Pokemon in quality. Digimon World 2 had potential but fell short due to a snail pace battle system (you think D/P was bad? HA!) and horrendous amounts of grinding (IVs are a joke in comparison)
#35The_Undying_84Posted 1/14/2013 10:40:06 PM
Probably because Ash is just a horrible trainer. It also contradicts the games in stupid ways (Electric attacks working on Ground pokemon).

I watched Digimon until all they were all replaced by new characters, I was also a kid and don't think it would entertain me anymore.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#36LexifoxPosted 1/14/2013 10:41:45 PM
ChronoAce posted...
Yeah the Digimon Anime was always way better than Pokemon's Anime. Unfortunately the games come no where close to Pokemon in quality. Digimon World 2 had potential but fell short due to a snail pace battle system (you think D/P was bad? HA!) and horrendous amounts of grinding (IVs are a joke in comparison)

Digimon World 1 is their best game. I am sad and angry that we will never see it officially translated and sold outside Japan.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#37summerclawPosted 1/14/2013 10:43:23 PM
I googled Mervamon to see what the fuzz was all about and wow. She has a regular face, I don't think I saw that in a humanoid digimon before. They usually have something covering the top of their faces.
---
In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny
And each regret and each goodbye was a mistake too great to hide.
#38UmuruPosted 1/14/2013 10:47:11 PM(edited)
Lexifox posted...
ChronoAce posted...

Digimon World 1 is their best game. I am sad and angry that we will never see it officially translated and sold outside Japan.

Digimon World did get translated and released outside of Japan though, didn't it? Well, then again, I guess it might have only been available to US and Canada or something.

There was also that Championship game that kept the basic concept of a video game version of the V-Pet intact while also allowing you to raise multiple Digimon at once. I'm fairly certain no one outside of Japan will get to see an official English version of any of the remaining Story games or the essential Digimon World 1 successor, Digimon World Re:Digitize though.

summerclaw posted...
I googled Mervamon to see what the fuzz was all about and wow. She has a regular face, I don't think I saw that in a humanoid digimon before. They usually have something covering the top of their faces.

We also have Sanzomon (based on the monk from Journey to the West) who doesn't have the top of her face covered. Of course, it is her mouth that is in this case. :p
#39tallgeeseIVPosted 1/14/2013 10:46:42 PM
It's the "Endless" aspect of Pokemon Anime.
Digimon animes have a definitive start and end points to them that leads to an overall better story.

If Pokemon was more like the Manga (not in the violent sense) in that the protaganists changes with the generations, it would improve significantly as an anime. The only problem would be that it would weaken the franchise's branding power to some extent unless they "Littlest Hobo"d it and had Pikachu miraculously join with each new protagonist group for whatever reason.
---
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9742/fodderkg8.png
-_-'
#40LexifoxPosted 1/14/2013 10:47:41 PM
Umuru posted...
Lexifox posted...
ChronoAce posted...

Digimon World did get translated and released outside of Japan though, didn't it? Well, then again, I guess it might have only been available to US and Canada or something.

There was also that Championship game that kept the basic concept of a video game version of the V-Pet intact while also allowing you to raise multiple Digimon at once. I'm fairly certain no one outside of Japan will get to see an official English version of any of the remaining Story games or the essential Digimon World 1 successor, Digimon World Re:Digitize though.

I meant the remake, not the original. I still have the original and its wonderful glitches.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod