This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the Digimon Anime so much better then the pokemon Anime?

#51pokemega32Posted 1/14/2013 10:24:34 PM
Re:Digitize is not a remake of the original Digimon World. It's a spiritual successor.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#52Cloud576Posted 1/14/2013 10:26:05 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Cloud576 posted...
MM125 posted...
Cloud576 posted...
I still say that Digimon Tamers is no kid's show. The first time I watched it as a kid I was scared s***less.

It deals with so many issues that kids just can't understand, or that give them such a rude wake-up call. Hell, I cried like a baby when Leomon died . I was just old enough to understand death, but seeing that was like a slap in the face that I honestly think had a profound effect on my psyche. Then seeing Jerry's break down, Megidramon's rampage, The D-Reaper's Jerry Clone, Jerry's mother's death, The Digital world being practically destroyed, and the ending scene; I was just probably the most miserable little kid after my first time seeing this. Yeah, I'll say it, Digimon made me depressed.

When I was older I watched it again, and enjoyed it so much now that I could catch all the parts that weren't "Cool monsters fighting" that I wouldn't hesitate at all to say it's one of my top ten favorite anime.

I agree completely. Though, when I was a kid, Leomon's death didn't really phase me as much as it probably should have, since it wasn't til the very end of the series when I realized that the Tamers-verse is the only Digimon continuity where death is permanent.

Well, to be accurate in Digimon Adventure Wizardmon did die permanently since he died in the real world and his data couldn't go to Primary Village to be reborn. He just floats as data particles in the real world.

I know way more about this stuff then I should.

Now you made me sad all over again. I am rewatching the entire season 1 now. Skipping 2 and heading on to the rest. I hate Davis.

Heh, sorry man. Digimon does have a lot of sad stuff in it when you think about it. But the sad moments make the happy ones all the more enjoyable. I think that's ultimately what makes Digimon anime better then Pokemon. There's a weight to it. In pokemon there is almost nothing but Sunshine and Rainbows, while in digimon there is a lot of, and please forgive me for this, darkness to balance the light. There's honest to god Drama in every series.
---
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0948 5017 5665
Pokemon White Friend Code: 5071 9428 0553
#53LexifoxPosted 1/14/2013 10:26:30 PM
pokemega32 posted...
Re:Digitize is not a remake of the original Digimon World. It's a spiritual successor.

We would probably know this if they'd translate and sell it to us.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#54LightHawKnightPosted 1/14/2013 10:28:04 PM
Cloud576 posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
Cloud576 posted...
MM125 posted...
Cloud576 posted...
I still say that Digimon Tamers is no kid's show. The first time I watched it as a kid I was scared s***less.

It deals with so many issues that kids just can't understand, or that give them such a rude wake-up call. Hell, I cried like a baby when Leomon died . I was just old enough to understand death, but seeing that was like a slap in the face that I honestly think had a profound effect on my psyche. Then seeing Jerry's break down, Megidramon's rampage, The D-Reaper's Jerry Clone, Jerry's mother's death, The Digital world being practically destroyed, and the ending scene; I was just probably the most miserable little kid after my first time seeing this. Yeah, I'll say it, Digimon made me depressed.

When I was older I watched it again, and enjoyed it so much now that I could catch all the parts that weren't "Cool monsters fighting" that I wouldn't hesitate at all to say it's one of my top ten favorite anime.

I agree completely. Though, when I was a kid, Leomon's death didn't really phase me as much as it probably should have, since it wasn't til the very end of the series when I realized that the Tamers-verse is the only Digimon continuity where death is permanent.

Well, to be accurate in Digimon Adventure Wizardmon did die permanently since he died in the real world and his data couldn't go to Primary Village to be reborn. He just floats as data particles in the real world.

I know way more about this stuff then I should.

Now you made me sad all over again. I am rewatching the entire season 1 now. Skipping 2 and heading on to the rest. I hate Davis.

Heh, sorry man. Digimon does have a lot of sad stuff in it when you think about it. But the sad moments make the happy ones all the more enjoyable. I think that's ultimately what makes Digimon anime better then Pokemon. There's a weight to it. In pokemon there is almost nothing but Sunshine and Rainbows, while in digimon there is a lot of, and please forgive me for this, darkness to balance the light. There's honest to god Drama in every series.

Indeed. The sadness does make it better. It is also much much much much darker than Pokemon. Though still Digimon never made me cry, just got teary eyed. The characters and digimon were good, but the backstories were not that well built, at least not when compared to Oda's work of One Piece. Though I only cried during the death of an inanimate object..... Bah... Attachment to non living thing.... Bah gotta watch that episode again.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#55Goten55Posted 1/14/2013 10:28:37 PM
I absolutely loved the first 3 seasons. Didn't like 4,

Now I wanna start watching again. Is season 5 good?
---
Gardenia Month!
http://i.imgur.com/2UK2Z.jpg http://i.imgur.com/3fBl5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/msXxq.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Clq47.jpg
#56LightHawKnightPosted 1/14/2013 10:37:58 PM(edited)
Goten55 posted...
I absolutely loved the first 3 seasons. Didn't like 4,

Now I wanna start watching again. Is season 5 good?

IMO pretty damn good. Though if you don't like the new way of digivolving, where multiple digimon work together to create a new more powerful digimon. Minor spoilers on a certain fusion that brings back an old favorite read it if you wish. Greymon + Mailbirdramon = MetalGreymon. Then there are new ones, though the main fusion line really just look like different versions of Omni/Omegamon, which is pretty damn awesome. Since I love Omegamon.

Forgot to mention there is still regular digivolution. It just takes years and years and years of effort to achieve it. Many of the big bads have spent their whole lives to reach the point in which they are at now. Digimon actually have growth, which is nice. Minor spoilers, but proof here:
The main digimon Shoutmon looks like a regular rookie throughout most of the season, but when there is a time skip for the lead change, but he still comes back with the main guy, so really the lead didn't change that much, at least from what I have watched. Shoutmon is older, has scars and looks more like his final evolution.

Also they added back regularish evolutions later on in the seasons.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#57scrappybristolPosted 1/14/2013 10:36:26 PM
Season 3 is best.

Card games with Digimon.

Well...at least the first half of it was, Bio-Digivolution kinda turned me off.
---
Ring Ring
#58willingmessPosted 1/14/2013 10:37:59 PM
the first time I watched the third season of digimon, my life changed. it was just that awesome. I'm really sad that any of the seasons don't air anymore. although I think I could find something if I looked on amazon or netflix. all in all it seems to me as though the middle three seasons (3,4,5) were extremely dark. I was crying like a baby at season 3's ending (note: I was 8 or 10) I mean wow. it's only a shame that I have never been able to watch a whole season through.

(btw gallantmon would own wargreymon, heck any greymon)

I only wish more people would watch the shows....
---
Warning! the preceding post may cause severe laughter. viewer discretion is advised
#59pokemega32Posted 1/14/2013 10:41:01 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
IMO pretty damn good. Though if you don't like the new way of digivolving, where multiple digimon work together to create a new more powerful digimon. Minor spoilers on a certain fusion that brings back an old favorite read it if you wish. Greymon + Mailbirdramon = MetalGreymon. Then there are new ones, though the main fusion line really just look like different versions of Omni/Omegamon, which is pretty damn awesome. Since I love Omegamon.

Forgot to mention there is still regular digivolution. It just takes years and years and years of effort to achieve it. Many of the big bads have spent their whole lives to reach the point in which they are at now. Digimon actually have growth, which is nice. Minor spoilers, but proof here:
The main digimon Shoutmon looks like a regular rookie throughout most of the season, but when there is a time skip for the lead change, but he still comes back with the main guy, so really the lead didn't change that much, at least from what I have watched. Shoutmon is older, has scars and looks more like his final evolution.

Also they added back regularish evolutions later on in the seasons.

He asked about season 5. That's Savers/Data Squad, not Xros Wars.

And evolution works basically the same way as it did in past series, just without the levels.

Natural evolution always takes a very long time. It's just Digivices that speed it up.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#60DesulatedPosted 1/14/2013 10:46:08 PM(edited)
Character development
Competent bad guys
New characters with each new generation
Less predictability on outcomes
Dark storyline

There are your four reasons. In Pokemon, there is NO character development (yet there are fanboys/fangirls that'll refute that, especially on fanfiction.net....) the villains are a joke (maybe J's an exception), it's ALWAYS Ash with every gen, and the formula is the same for every generation: TR is a ****ing joke that's about as funny as the comedy Michael Bay puts in his films and Ash will more or less get his ass handed to him in the League. Oh, and I find the Pokemon anime even less serious since there's no dark themes. Always sunshine and rainbows? For real?

....though I'm pretty sure both animes are in the crapper now.
---
"Command and Conquer 4 and Red Alert 3 sucking is the fault of Westwood."-Gaming King
Auto heal is the amateur's medpack.