This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Huge Nintendo fan, NEVER played Pokemon, please explain in a nutshell.

#1iloveheavyrainPosted 1/15/2013 5:48:20 PM
Where to start? Which game is the quintessential Pokemon? What is it with these Gold/Blue/Black/Volume 1, 2, etc?

And, mostly, what game is it like...is it like Zelda? Like Halo? Like Metroid? Please compare and teach me.
---
ZombiU is Game of the Year 2012
#2vital_tundraPosted 1/15/2013 5:49:59 PM
Black/White and Black/White 2 I guess...
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#3goldwPosted 1/15/2013 5:50:13 PM
Damn, did your parents not love you?

It's an RPG. Simple enough.
---
Would you like some...yoghurt? - Fernando, the Manwhore
#4SuperAfroBoyPosted 1/15/2013 5:50:47 PM
It's a game about a world where weapons don't exist, and all disputes are settled by having your tamed creatures fight each other.
---
I had a vasectomy.
#5BenzychenzPosted 1/15/2013 5:50:47 PM
Go buy a Pokemon game and teach yourself.
I'd say Emerald (GBA) is a good starting point. Or Black/White 2 if you want a modern one you can walk into a store and buy.
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/2me5xv.jpg
#6RippleLaserPosted 1/15/2013 5:51:38 PM
RPG game in short, your party members are pokemon, not humans. Start with HG/SS or Platinum if you want, Black/White 2 if you want to experience the latest.
---
Just according to keikaku*.
*Keikaku means plan.
#7Meta289Posted 1/15/2013 5:51:40 PM
Pokemon is a turn-based RPG where you can basically add any random encounters into your team, and as such, very customizable, unlike most JRPGs. There is almost no limit to the amount of teams you could possibly have.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
The Pokemon Cycle. Don't deny its existence.
#8fatwiz123Posted 1/15/2013 5:51:53 PM
Its an RPG/pet simulator. You catch wild animal-like creatures, raise them through friendly competition, and work alongside them to defeat the region's Pokemon League.
---
SMT is my love.
#9MaurithPosted 1/15/2013 5:52:00 PM
Just buy any game. They're all good at easing you into things.
---
Official Sawsbuck of the Pokemon XY boards
[Janna, Syndra, Rumble, Fizz, Ezreal, Katarina, Volibear, Lee Sin, Kog'Maw, Wukong, Nunu, Swain]
#10jayman7Posted 1/15/2013 5:53:47 PM(edited)
It's a turn-based RPG series. Best comparisons among games made by Nintendo would be Earthbound or Paper Mario. But the main characters don't fight; the random monsters you encounter can be captured and added to your team, and they do the fighting for you.

The versions usually come in pairs (Black/White, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, X/Y), and each game in the pair is nearly identical, so it doesn't matter which game from any given pair you get.

Recommended game? Depends. Black/White 1 for the story. Black/White 2 for the variety of gameplay options. Heart Gold/Soul Silver for the nostalgia you're unlikely to have. Platinum (which is essentially an upgrade of Diamond/Pearl, and I'd recommend it over either of them) for all-around.

X and Y aren't out yet, and we know little about them at this point, so no comment.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere