This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel obligated to use your starter in your team?

#71Infectedglore2Posted 1/19/2013 12:04:59 PM
DetroitLolcat posted...
I usually play in Nuzlocke mode, so as long as my starter's still kicking he's the centerpiece of my team.

Lolcat? I've seen your name on Smogon. You made a Nuzlocke run there didn't you?
#72vital_tundraPosted 1/19/2013 12:07:48 PM
Im playing through Black 2. I have beaten 2 Gyms and right now I feel like I might drop Servine after I pick up 2 more permanents for my team.
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#73mithos08Posted 1/19/2013 12:59:28 PM
I used to, but last gen's starter sucked big, so I finally left Samurott as an HM slave
---
-Love is a brand of egoism that ignores the feelings of its mark while insisting on its own selfish demands.
-Hail to Lord Yggdrasil!
#74BountyanPosted 1/19/2013 1:13:21 PM(edited)
No.

I didn't use my starter in BW2 because the Unova starters aren't that good and are easily outclassed by stuff you can find somewhat early in the game. Choose Snivy? Get a Lilligant in Castelia City, it's better in pretty much every way offensively. Choose Tepig? Get a Darumaka or Riolu. Choose Oshawott? Just get a Huge Power Azurill.

I hope they go back to Gen III and IV where the starters mostly had unique dual types and were good to the point of even being viable competitively in the higher tiers.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#75Earth_EchidnaPosted 1/19/2013 1:27:45 PM
Yes. There is only one time I have failed to use my starter for the whole game, and it was Black. Serperior was lame. In comparison, Charizard, Blaziken and Dewott have been better.
---
Pokemon SoulSilver FC: 1335 1407 6427
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand cookies instead! -Official Sandslash of the PMD3 boards
#76Dabrikishaw15Posted 1/19/2013 1:49:12 PM
Yes, I always build my team around him.

---
Fact: all fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.
http://i.minus.com/ixGBrDD4hclHn.gif
#77CressetPosted 1/19/2013 3:35:17 PM(edited)
Yes, even if they aren't very good. It just never occurs to me to bench them, they feel kind of like an extension of the player character.

McTCM posted...
Fei_Ku posted...
Nope, and I didn't use a starter in Black or Black 2. I love Oshawott, but don't love Samurott so once Oshawott evolved I benched him. Same will go for this generation, if I don't love one of the third forms then I won't use a starter is all.

Go ash style,
Don't evolve

Yeah. It's actually a useful tactic, as they will learn moves earlier.

Infectedglore2 posted...
<Why can't more Pokemon players do nuzlocke matches so the game won't be completely easy?

Using only one type (as Gym Leaders do) is also a fun way of making the game a little harder,

Also, playing on SET mode instead of SHIFT. I always felt it's cheating to see the "The opponent is going to send out a [pokemon name]. Do you want to change your pokemon?". As long as you have a little variation of your team, you'll always have something that resists / destroys whatever shows up. How should I even know what they will send out?
---
What's the matter, the Zubats and Geodudes too much for you? Can't get through a cave with just five monsters? How sad. - mikeburnfire
#78Infectedglore2Posted 1/20/2013 7:48:31 AM
Cresset posted...

Infectedglore2 posted...
<Why can't more Pokemon players do nuzlocke matches so the game won't be completely easy?

Using only one type (as Gym Leaders do) is also a fun way of making the game a little harder,

Also, playing on SET mode instead of SHIFT. I always felt it's cheating to see the "The opponent is going to send out a [pokemon name]. Do you want to change your pokemon?". As long as you have a little variation of your team, you'll always have something that resists / destroys whatever shows up. How should I even know what they will send out?

Yeah Pokemon is a very easy game if you just play it by taking advantage of everything that they give you over the CPU (and the CPU are dumb enough as it is). The main storyline was meant for kids remember. Once you've played a bunch of Pokemon you shouldn't just play it normally, you should challenge yourself. (of course if you just want to have fun that's ok, maybe a next playthrough?) After all this is gamefaqs where most people are experienced Pokemon players.
And yeah lol I've always thought that was cheating too, but I think its probably more for EV training, If you were using like the Elite 4 to EV train/level up, you don't want to get the wrong EVs from the wrong Pokemon.