This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There aren't any gay main protagonists.

#71Twilight_SonataPosted 1/17/2013 12:13:47 AM
willingmess posted...
why can't I have a little respite from the hubris thrown around?

Because you don't deserve it. You're trying to look for the solution to a problem when the real answer is that there is no problem to begin with.

Frankula posted...
So there can't be lesbians talking about poke gals?

Of course there can. But if somebody creates a topic and does not mention their own sex or gender or sexuality and says its a topic about hot pokegals, the default assumption is that it's straight. I don't like it, and you make not like it, but that's the reality, that straight the default assumption unless otherwise noted.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#72FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 12:17:50 AM(edited)
Chykka_Black posted...
If gayness is a sin then why do so many people enjoy Queen? Or How I Met Your Mother? Or Big Bang Theory(hate the show soo much)?

Thats like saying "If gluttony is a sin, why do people enjoy McDonalds? Or All you can eat Buffets?".

Well to be honest, my analogy gives you a little to much credit. None of things you mentioned deal specifically with gayness, rather people involved with the creation of them happen to be gay, and they can be enjoyed without ever realizing that fact.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#73FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 12:16:59 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
willingmess posted...
why can't I have a little respite from the hubris thrown around?

Because you don't deserve it. You're trying to look for the solution to a problem when the real answer is that there is no problem to begin with.

Frankula posted...
So there can't be lesbians talking about poke gals?

Of course there can. But if somebody creates a topic and does not mention their own sex or gender or sexuality and says its a topic about hot pokegals, the default assumption is that it's straight. I don't like it, and you make not like it, but that's the reality, that straight the default assumption unless otherwise noted.

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong. If thats how you view those topics, that is, as I said, a result of your own insecurities. What is the phrase? Assuming makes an ass out of you AND me?
---
#74TenzhiPosted 1/17/2013 12:17:36 AM
Doesn't the Topic Creator know that in most JRPGs, manga, and anime that most male protagonists are secretly in love with their rival/antagonist and/or vice-versa? They even tend to accent this point by having a cute girl follow around the protagonist and get largely ignored by him while he fervently pursues his rival/antagonist. But there's rarely any payoff on *any* relationships in these stories, so if you want it to get more explicit you'll have to delve into the seedy world of fan-fiction.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#75xyzlacticPosted 1/17/2013 12:18:09 AM
Gen 6 mains confirmed to be Gay/Bi
#76FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 12:18:53 AM
Tenzhi posted...
Doesn't the Topic Creator know that in most JRPGs, manga, and anime that most male protagonists are secretly in love with their rival/antagonist and/or vice-versa? They even tend to accent this point by having a cute girl follow around the protagonist and get largely ignored by him while he fervently pursues his rival/antagonist. But there's rarely any payoff on *any* relationships in these stories, so if you want it to get more explicit you'll have to delve into the seedy world of fan-fiction.

This is a great way of pleasing both parties.
---
#77wind64aPosted 1/17/2013 12:20:03 AM
GlitterGuns posted...
Frankula posted...
I specifically addressed this. People talking about how Elesa, or Gary Oak for that matter, are attractive is completely different, because you can "swoon" over these characters REGARDLESS of which gender you are. If the topic was "straight guys, come in here and talk about these hawt poke-gals i'd also have a problem with it!

There are heterosexual couples within the Pokémon world. Why can there not be a homosexual couple? The answer is, there can be, if Game Freak is willing. And until then, there is certainly no reason why people can't keep asking, hoping, or anticipating. To my knowledge, that is all the OP was speculating about (although by using the game's protagonist as their selection).

Why does everyone forget the "backer" couple in the small stadium on Basketball days? It's not even subtle.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the BW2 boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#78willingmessPosted 1/17/2013 12:20:21 AM
Lexifox posted...
willingmess posted...
the fact that you want a game to make a statement on a specific subject wether it be by having gay characters or by having an environmental message is having an agenda to promote the thought that this image of the world is the correct one.

If no one specifically says it's right or wrong, then no one is saying it's right or wrong. It is merely being allowed. Do you think that the games, through their actions, tell the player that collecting and training animals for combat is morally acceptable?

When I belive that gayness is sinful (I don't hate the person just the sin) then the attempt at "normalization" of this intrudes upon my beliefs. you don't see me calling for christian characters, do you?

Why do you believe that this is sinful?

I just merely don't want this in my games when it is EVERYWHERE. why can't I have a little respite from the hubris thrown around?

What hubris?

1. most forms of media anymore are biased and have a message that they want to get across. wether good or bad.

2. I am a christian that has read the bible. within the bible are numerous sections referring to the sinfulness of homosexual relations. though every sin is equal in the end it doesn't mean I have to treat it as though it were not a sin. that is what most places end up doing. yet again I don't think you are going to hell solely for being gay.

3. the hubris around gay rights.
---
Warning! the preceding post may cause severe laughter. viewer discretion is advised
#79LexifoxPosted 1/17/2013 12:22:05 AM
willingmess posted...
1. most forms of media anymore are biased and have a message that they want to get across. wether good or bad.

How much of it is a bias and how much of it is interpreted?

2. I am a christian that has read the bible. within the bible are numerous sections referring to the sinfulness of homosexual relations. though every sin is equal in the end it doesn't mean I have to treat it as though it were not a sin. that is what most places end up doing. yet again I don't think you are going to hell solely for being gay.

Those being? Please don't say Sodom and Gomorrah. That's such a misconception.

3. the hubris around gay rights.

What hubris is this?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#80Twilight_SonataPosted 1/17/2013 12:22:21 AM
Frankula posted...
I'm sorry, but you are just wrong.

I am factually, scientifically correct. It's not even a matter of opinion. There is psychological and sociological evidence behind it. If you're going to refuse to see it rather than try to learn or understand, then that becomes a problem of your own willful ignorance.

Assuming makes an ass out of you AND me?

Assuming is a natural human reaction. Without it, we would not be able to function.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe