This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is there a "Dragon" Type...

#11AlI_About_The_UPosted 1/17/2013 9:25:05 AM
Look at Charizard he's a dragon...

Tracking this topic now.
---
siggy
#12DarkBlueAntPosted 1/17/2013 9:25:06 AM
Dragon Type is just to make dragon Pokemon special and make them really resistant to elemental things.
#13Legendary_MusasPosted 1/17/2013 9:37:09 AM(edited)
Foxes aren't mythological creatures and Charizard isn't a Dragon 'type' because it's meant for rare creatures not starters (also Dragon resists all three starter types so it's balance). Charizard is still aesthetically designed as a Dragon creature though.

Aerodactyl is a Wyvern but it's Rock/Flying because all fossil Pokemon are part Rock and Aerodactyl is definitely a flying type.

Lance can be the Dragon Master and use these two because they may not be Dragon 'type' but they are most certainly designed as Dragon creatures. If there was a Ape master he/she could use Primeape (fighting) and Ambipom (Normal) and still be the ape master yet have different types.
---
I was born of your dreams. If you believe in me... ...there is nothing I cannot do
#14RikusTwilightPosted 1/17/2013 9:31:19 AM
LandscapeManX posted...
Might as well have a Fox, Hound, Bird, Frog, etc. type.

There already are all of those -

Fox - Vulpix, Ninetails, Fennekin,

Hound - Houdour, Houndoom

Bird - Too freaking many to list

Frog - Same as above

The anime lists these individual pokemon as what they are, so for Vulpix it would be 'The Fire-Fox pokemon'

I know you mean when applied to the game, but as someone else already stated, Dragons are mythical and have their own special magic, whereas a Fox doesn't.

A creature can be a Dragon just being a dragon, whereas a Fox or whatever has to be another type, otherwise it would be too ordinary and too similar to our real life
#15KitschgardenerPosted 1/17/2013 9:34:00 AM
LandscapeManX posted...
Look at Charizard he's a dragon yet he's listed as Fire/Flying.

Oh look, this topic again.

GF adore tinkering and playing with existing mythical creatures in their own unique way. I don't think you'd find an antlion dragon in any other franchise, or a funky dancing kappa, or whatever.

That and balance.
#16FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 9:36:29 AM(edited)
RikusTwilight posted...
LandscapeManX posted...
Might as well have a Fox, Hound, Bird, Frog, etc. type.

There already are all of those -

Fox - Vulpix, Ninetails, Fennekin,

Hound - Houdour, Houndoom

Bird - Too freaking many to list

Frog - Same as above

The anime lists these individual pokemon as what they are, so for Vulpix it would be 'The Fire-Fox pokemon'

I know you mean when applied to the game, but as someone else already stated, Dragons are mythical and have their own special magic, whereas a Fox doesn't.

A creature can be a Dragon just being a dragon, whereas a Fox or whatever has to be another type, otherwise it would be too ordinary and too similar to our real life

I think the last sentence really sums it up. Dragon's are mystical creatures, thus don't need anything extra to make them seem surreal and awesome. Foxes, hounds, birds, and frogs are all normal animals without any innate powers/awesomeness.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#17LandscapeManX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 9:36:00 AM
People are complaining Light Type would be too unrealistic & made-up.
While we have Dragon Type... dragons... with special dragon abilities & attributes.

The only thing that type is good for is tell us that pokemon is a "dragon" (much like how vulpix is a "fox" and mankey a "monkey") and make those pokemon instantly super strong compared to other types.
---
Official Great Toad Sage of this board.
#18FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 9:38:35 AM(edited)
LandscapeManX posted...
People are complaining Light Type would be too unrealistic & made-up.
While we have Dragon Type... dragons... with special dragon abilities & attributes.

The only thing that type is good for is tell us that pokemon is a "dragon" (much like how vulpix is a "fox" and mankey a "monkey") and make those pokemon instantly super strong compared to other types.

Why would anybody complain about light type being unrealistic? Thats just dumb... Plenty of games have a "light" attribute.

Also, FYI, simply repeating your argument doesn't negate any of the counter arguments people have provided.
---
#19KogaSteelfangPosted 1/17/2013 9:38:26 AM
LandscapeManX posted...
Lexifox posted...
Dragons are a rich and varied figure in mythology and folklore, from the vicious and hoarding dragon of European myth to the wise and slender dragons of the East. Dragons are in such great variety and mysterious powers that they are a fertile ground for Pokemon to be conceived from.

So what.
All the dragon pokemon can easily be listed as other types, normal/flying/fire/etc.

So?
Flying is a normal trait for things with wings, so get rid of flying type and replace it with normal.
"Fighting dirty" type? Might as wellk merge Dark and Fighting, since both are fighting... and a normal thing to do in pokemon. So replace both of those with Normal type.

If you micro-examine every pokemon, and dumb it down, they'd all end up normal types. Then, with every pokemon as the same type, whats the use of types at all? Get rid of Normal type and be done with it.

Dragon type describes the strengths and weaknesses of the pokemon, not how it looks. Flygon doesn't look like a dragon, it looks like a bug.
Dragons in mythology only have 2 weaknesses, other dragons, and freezing to death.
What other type name could possibly cover those 2 exact weaknesses without over stretching the type name?
---
3ds FC: 0817-3909-5696. PSN Grindpantera.
If you add me, please send a PM with your code.
#20FrankulaPosted 1/17/2013 9:40:04 AM
KogaSteelfang posted...
LandscapeManX posted...
Lexifox posted...
Dragons are a rich and varied figure in mythology and folklore, from the vicious and hoarding dragon of European myth to the wise and slender dragons of the East. Dragons are in such great variety and mysterious powers that they are a fertile ground for Pokemon to be conceived from.

So what.
All the dragon pokemon can easily be listed as other types, normal/flying/fire/etc.

So?
Flying is a normal trait for things with wings, so get rid of flying type and replace it with normal.
"Fighting dirty" type? Might as wellk merge Dark and Fighting, since both are fighting... and a normal thing to do in pokemon. So replace both of those with Normal type.

If you micro-examine every pokemon, and dumb it down, they'd all end up normal types. Then, with every pokemon as the same type, whats the use of types at all? Get rid of Normal type and be done with it.

Dragon type describes the strengths and weaknesses of the pokemon, not how it looks. Flygon doesn't look like a dragon, it looks like a bug.
Dragons in mythology only have 2 weaknesses, other dragons, and freezing to death.
What other type name could possibly cover those 2 exact weaknesses without over stretching the type name?

There you have it. Nicely said.

I think we can all agree that TC is wrong.
---