This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is there a "Dragon" Type...

#51alatreon789Posted 1/17/2013 10:58:40 AM
LandscapeManX posted...
Might as well have a Fox, Hound, Bird, Frog, etc. type.

Fox, and hound fall under mammal, Frog falls under amphibian, and bird is a whole class of animals its self. Dragon would be like the animal kingdom (or whatever) Insect, Bird, Mammal, Reptile, and Amphibian. They do have Bug. So I guess because they can and it's awesome.
---
This signature will not change until the rebirth of Nintendo Power. PSN: Interitum48
Started: 9:56 PM 12/18/2012
#52CakeOfLiesPosted 1/17/2013 11:28:02 AM
LandscapeManX posted...

Missingno. is Bird-Type. But Bird was changed to Flying to cover things like Aerodactyl.
---
"You think our rage a weakness? Then let me show you... how wrong you are!" - Edge, Final Fantasy IV
#53Nerwrax15Posted 1/17/2013 11:32:14 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
LandscapeManX posted...

Missingno. is Bird-Type. But Bird was changed to Flying to cover things like Aerodactyl.

Which is also why Charizard couldn't fly back then.
---
NaughtyGhost, my fav person on gamefaqs. Props+forever=http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/NaughtyGhostGuy/may.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nerwrax15
#54BardWannabePosted 1/17/2013 11:35:50 AM
In hindsight, it probably would have been better for GF to have made it a "Mystic" type. That is sensible. As it is, it's too late to change, and unlikely they'll make a new type. Besides, Dragon is fine as it is.
#55SirLezdainPosted 1/17/2013 11:41:01 AM
LandscapeManX posted...

Because **** you, that's why.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#56DemonicChaosXXPosted 1/17/2013 11:45:58 AM
Because you touch yourself at night.
---
It's a point and click adventure where the only action is "use gun" on "man". - vidgameking84
#57hotshotgamesPosted 1/17/2013 12:51:56 PM
I would say there is a Dragon type because it is easier to make a range of pokemon with that type without being too repetitive.

Internationally there are so many types of dragon Nintendo has been able to keep the vareity up without creating 'wolf 1', 'wolf 2' and 'wolf 3'
---
Apple>Nintendo>Steam>Playstation>Google>Microsoft>Origin
Own: Wii, DS, iPod Touch, Computer
#58Nacht004Posted 1/17/2013 1:09:39 PM
Legendary_Musas posted...
Light type wouldn't make sense because all of its aspects are already covered.

Light source - Fire, Electric
Holy - Fighting

Fitting a Light type in would just conflict with the types already established. A light bulb Pokemon should be Electric not 'Light', it's the same thing. A devout holy warrior should be Fighting not 'Light' etc.

I haven't seen anywhere that Fighting in Japan is defined as Holy. Can someone point me to a source on this? I just checked Bulbapedia and while it mentions that Dark is known as Evil in Japan, it retains that Fighting is just Fighting in Japan.

If this is the case then the Light element makes sense as a holy element or "good" element as opposed to Dark.
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#59AuthorNumber2Posted 1/17/2013 1:11:59 PM
Foxes aren't mythological creatures.

"Foxes and human beings lived close together in ancient Japan; this companionship gave rise to legends about the creatures." wikipedia entry for kitsune (fox)
#60ColonelHawkPosted 1/17/2013 1:18:17 PM
AuthorNumber2 posted...
Foxes aren't mythological creatures.

"Foxes and human beings lived close together in ancient Japan; this companionship gave rise to legends about the creatures." wikipedia entry for kitsune (fox)

Foxes themselves aren't mythological creatures kitsunes are based on foxes. It'd be like saying that horses are mythological because of unicorns and pegasi.