This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Pokemon games have a more religious theme?

#101Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 10:48:52 PM
Instead of just saying "no", why don't you give your reasoning?
This is a very serious issue, and you seem to be copping out.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. This status is only given out by the site admin.
#102MagikarpRulesPosted 2/1/2013 10:51:55 PM
Jarred623 posted...
Instead of just saying "no", why don't you give your reasoning?
This is a very serious issue, and you seem to be copping out.

If he gives his reasons, we get started on a pointless argument again. So, I think it's better that way.
#103DimlhugionaPosted 2/1/2013 11:08:30 PM
Jarred623 posted...
It seems some people feel very strongly about their religion and what pokemon means for it. The topic about the possibility of a gay protagonist was getting too far away from the intended discussion, so let's settle the other matter here.

Do you think Pokemon games should be more religious? An advantage to this is they would get some promotion from churches like Evanescence did. Link: http://www.antimusic.com/news/03/april/item31.shtml

The downside to this is people may choose not to play it because they think it makes it "less cool."

1.) The article you linked to is about how Evanescence lost promotions from Christian stores after the band revealed that they aren't, in fact, Christian or Christian-themed.

2.) Imagine if the game became "more religious" by adhering to religious doctrine you DON'T subscribe to - ie, if you're Christian, imagine if the game adopted Buddhist or Satanic mythos. Then ask yourself if you'd still be okay playing the game.
---
The above post was typed in front of a live studio audience.
#104Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:32:27 PM
Dimlhugiona posted...
Jarred623 posted...
It seems some people feel very strongly about their religion and what pokemon means for it. The topic about the possibility of a gay protagonist was getting too far away from the intended discussion, so let's settle the other matter here.

Do you think Pokemon games should be more religious? An advantage to this is they would get some promotion from churches like Evanescence did. Link: http://www.antimusic.com/news/03/april/item31.shtml

The downside to this is people may choose not to play it because they think it makes it "less cool."

1.) The article you linked to is about how Evanescence lost promotions from Christian stores after the band revealed that they aren't, in fact, Christian or Christian-themed.

2.) Imagine if the game became "more religious" by adhering to religious doctrine you DON'T subscribe to - ie, if you're Christian, imagine if the game adopted Buddhist or Satanic mythos. Then ask yourself if you'd still be okay playing the game.

Why would it adopt Satanic mythos? I'm talking shintoism pal. Christianity for the localized versions. The game has to stay rated E.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. This status is only given out by the site admin.
#105MagikarpRulesPosted 2/2/2013 2:36:47 PM
If you are talking about shintoism, then why did you use Evanescence as a reference?
#106Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:26:26 PM
When it gets localized and Christian, then my reference to Evanescence will be true. Until someone finds some hidden animal sacrifice ritual in the game.
---
#107roo10158Posted 2/3/2013 10:52:44 PM
only if the games isn't shown as saying "support religion or you are bad" or "hate religion or your bad". They need to not take sides pissing off half of the fanbase.

Also, only if said religion is made up specifically for the pokemon universe. Otherwise they'd be showing bias.

This is probably too much for a kids series, so I'd have to say no.

Then again, we have seen monks in Johto (in Sprout Tower), a cathedral in Sinnoh (I think in that town with the contest hall), and even a god Pokemon (Arceus)... It's probably safer if things like that are as far as into the religion vs atheism flamewar as GF should ever get.

tl;dr version: this is such a touchy subject that it is probably just not worth it.
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA
#108MagikarpRulesPosted 2/3/2013 10:59:05 PM
Jarred623 posted...
When it gets localized and Christian, then my reference to Evanescence will be true. Until someone finds some hidden animal sacrifice ritual in the game.

If you make it Christian, you alienate or piss off atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc.

I feel that Shintoism is so little known in this side of the Pacific that it woukd be relatively safe. I can't speak for the rest of the continents.
#109Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 12:29:59 AM
MagikarpRules posted...
Jarred623 posted...

If you make it Christian, you alienate or piss off atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc.

I feel that Shintoism is so little known in this side of the Pacific that it woukd be relatively safe. I can't speak for the rest of the continents.

It doesn't have to be really religious. This is still pokemon. Just have some religious NPC's, and you can't play on Sundays.
---
#110jneal57Posted 2/4/2013 1:11:08 AM
just got done 500ing a topic so now im here.

no. they pushed it with god pokemon
---
http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=955240