This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here DO NOT want Pokemon to be transferrable?

#111ClassyOldHatPosted 1/18/2013 5:37:42 PM
jayman7 posted...
Abilities and the new EV system could have been done without a reboot had they really wanted to. The lack of reboot didn't stop the physical/special split in the fourth gen or the hidden abilities in the fifth. The reboot was entirely done due to hardware incompatibilities, and that's not an issue now.

If you don't want to transfer Pokemon from the fifth gen to the sixth, don't. Don't punish the rest of us!

This man speaks the truth!

prince_leo posted...
I would love it if they did a fresh start.
People say that there are no benefits, but to me it makes so much sense.

They could reorder pokemon base stats, change what moves they can learn, even do some retyping if they wanted.
In Gen IV we ran into Stealth Rock and even Gen V limited what pokemon could learn it. However, you could still transfer a Gen IV pokemon to Gen V and use Stealth Rock without problem.
Think about all the rebalancing Gamefreak could accomplish if they were allowed to re do~700 pokemon

This is the weakest of the arguments here, though it does sum up a lot of the arguments into one post... So...

Your assumption is that Game Freak would make changes at all. They had the chance to alter and balance types and bases stats in the change between GSC and RSE, but did they? No. Further, the splitting of the Special stat, the only time in the history of the games that any base stat have been changed, ignoring form changes. In fact, form changes prove more than anything that base stats could easily be altered just by trading to a different game, if GF wanted that.

Getting rid of Stealth Rock? They block HM moves from being traded, to the lament of Surfing Pikachu owners everywhere. If they really wanted to make Stealth Rock gone, they could block it from being traded.

prince_leo posted...
Everyone who is against the idea of blocking off transfers, are you against it if they rework movelists, base stats, and how evolution works for some pokemon?
Or are you so intent on not losing progress from the last decade that you want to see the gameplay make no innovation in such a big way?

This, and making EVERY pokemon from past generations, INCLUDING EVENTS, available between X and Y would make me a little more accepting of the idea.

FlipManV3 posted...

Lol. It's funny, if anything, you're the only person acting like a "pro" here. Typing changes have nothing to do with anything we're talking about so please stop trying to make yourself look smart.
Explain to me how EV, IV, abilities, and the overall stats would've cleanly adapted from II to III.
-

Gen II IVs may have been numbered between 0 and 15, but in effect, they increased a Pokemon's stats anywhere from 0 to 31, jut like the modern games, so no trouble there. As for abilities, give transfers one at random. EVs would be the only real problem, and even then, just wiping them clean and letting players train them anew would work fine.
#112prince_leoPosted 1/18/2013 5:45:34 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
This is the weakest of the arguments here, though it does sum up a lot of the arguments into one post... So...

Your assumption is that Game Freak would make changes at all. They had the chance to alter and balance types and bases stats in the change between GSC and RSE, but did they? No. Further, the splitting of the Special stat, the only time in the history of the games that any base stat have been changed, ignoring form changes. In fact, form changes prove more than anything that base stats could easily be altered just by trading to a different game, if GF wanted that.

Getting rid of Stealth Rock? They block HM moves from being traded, to the lament of Surfing Pikachu owners everywhere. If they really wanted to make Stealth Rock gone, they could block it from being traded.

Honestly, I'd just prefer it if they made certain moves be unable to be traded between generations a la Gen 2 ---> Gen 1
---
No man stands so tall as he who stoops to help a child.
http://i.imgur.com/VH2Nc.jpg - Young Leo has more swag than you
#113beebarbPosted 1/18/2013 5:54:17 PM
I want to be able to transfer my collection, it was too much work to get them where they are. I can't effectively lose them (I primarily play the most recent games).

Oh, and by the way, you will get your "fresh start" Pokemon aren't transferable from the start, you would most likely have to get to a certain point (most likely post-game).

Transferring is OPTIONAL. Removing the ability to transfer for the few that won't use it will only irritate the majority of players (particularly shiny hunters and event collectors) who do use it.

I actually hope they fix it so I can transfer Pokemon with HMs. I am starting to get quite irritated that I can't ever have my Surfing/Flying Pikachu in each game. It will be especially annoying this time, as I managed to get my hands on a WORLD12 Pikachu (whether legit or a clone I can't tell, but it certainly isn't a hack).
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#114BountyanPosted 1/18/2013 6:06:55 PM(edited)
I'd love to see proof that backwards compatibility needs to be cut in order to allow mechanic changes. Gen II was able to introduce an entirely new stat and change types of two previous Pokemon and some moves yet still had backwards compatibility.

zombiabsol posted...
why are people telling tc to do his own fresh run.
yes he wont have to transfer, but what about people who didnt have firered leafgreen emerald ruby and sapphire? how can they complete the national pokedex if they never had a gameboy or for whatever reason dont have the money for it?

thats me, only have platinum, white, and black2. i cant complete the national pokedex if i wanted to, without spending unnecessary money.

a fresh start would let EVERYBODY have the chance to complete a national pokedex.

im not for or against the idea, but i wouldnt care either way. i just hope if we can transfer we can send more than 6 at a time

Trading exists for a reason. And Pokemon being allowed to be transferred over doesn't mean they can't put Pokemon available without transferring. Gen 5 alone had nearly every Pokemon available to catch. Besides, if there is a fresh start you'll STILL need to trade or have multiple games to complete the dex because of version exclusives.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#115KapuxaPosted 1/18/2013 5:59:28 PM
What is the exact reason for HMs not being able to be transfered? The moves still exist, even tho not as HMs anymore, they could just convert.
#116Shadow_CharzardPosted 1/18/2013 6:06:10 PM
KingTumbleweed posted...
You realise this is the reason some people hated Gen 3? No, I disagree.

Also, with new gens, you often can't transfer pokes until post-game. Why would you want a mandatory "fresh start" when you could just, y'know...not transfer your old pokes? No one's forcing--or even encouraging--you.

Options > limits.
#117VycoulPosted 1/18/2013 6:12:23 PM(edited)
People always talk about how they could change the IV system (The only thing that needs fixing IMO) if the walled off the next gen, but what exactly makes it impossible to do that AND allow transferring?

Is there no way to implement a new IV system with the new Pokemon and just leave the old ones as they are? Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, especially if they only change it so Pokemon vary in IVs from 21 or 26 to 31. (The best proposed fix I've heard other than just eliminating them)
---
Thank God for inner monologue. ~ Miles Edgeworth
#118ryudin89Posted 1/18/2013 6:21:23 PM
Vycoul posted...
People always talk about how they could change the IV system (The only thing that needs fixing IMO) if the walled off the next gen, but what exactly makes it impossible to do that AND allow transferring?

It's completely possible. Which is why everyone is wondering why people think they would need to lock down to do it. They claim the want a fresh start which they could get by not transferring in the first place. There is no reason for Gamefreak to not allow transfer, why some users want them to disallow it I just can't understand.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#119SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/18/2013 6:32:37 PM
deadpool848 posted...
How will we complete the National Dex then? I doubt they will put in every single pokemon and legendary to be obtainable in to this game, so if we cant transfer from other games, then we cant complete the national dex. Plus event legendaries will be needed and i doubt they will give us events for every legendary that had an event before. I'm fine with pokemon transfer to the new game as long as after you beat the game, dont really see any iddues with that.

Of course they can put all the Pokemon into the game. You've never heard of DLC? Nintendo has. They made over 5 million on DLC for FE in Japan alone, so why wouldn't they think of putting Pokemon "data" packs as DLC in X and Y? They could just offer past Pokemon dex info as DLC, which would be a ripoff, yes, but save them from a lot of extra effort with transfers. I hope they don't screw us over like that, but without a cheat device (for now), then they can charge buyers for anything they want. Items, unlocks, berries, anything they want.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#120PsychoWolfXPosted 1/18/2013 6:36:30 PM
Fresh start would be nice. I really can't see how anyone could seriously think about completeing the Pokedex with 800 Pokemon -_-