This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Idea for changing the type chart

#11TenzhiPosted 1/18/2013 11:23:51 PM
The main thing thing I would change is not allowing type strengths and weaknesses to stack.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#12SpikeTbearPosted 1/18/2013 11:44:07 PM
That would make some of the Dragons unstoppable. Gamefreak only gave them such immense power because they had an Achilles' heel: a 4x Ice weakness.
---
"The most important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein.
Xbox Live: AlteraLateralus
#13jayman7Posted 1/19/2013 12:20:01 AM
Tenzhi posted...
The main thing thing I would change is not allowing type strengths and weaknesses to stack.

So what happens when a Pokemon is weak and resistant to the same type? When it cancels out? That's stacking of a sort.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#14MTGxerxesPosted 1/19/2013 1:12:35 AM
Octaivian_Rex posted...
Poison super effective on Water.

I've felt that way, or Poison SE to Dragon for a long time. Somebody above said SE to fighting as well, which I don't think is terrible. Can't fight really well if you're horribly sick. Meh... thats what I get for trying to throw rationality into pokemon type charts!
---
Youtube: MTGXerxes. Pokemon DP, Mega Man 1-6, X, X4, Breath of Fire 1-2, Magic 2013, etc.
Gamertag: MtG Xerxes --- Gamestop Manager
#15jEr3mYPosted 1/19/2013 1:42:45 AM
Water should be SE against Ice.. Last time I put ice under/in water.. Water won.... It (Ice) should lose its weakness against Steel and Rock though...

Poison should be SE against Water and Fighting... Poison can turn water into toxic waste... and poison can kill humans, ie fighting...
---
Non-Specific Action Figure has to be in the next Super Smash Bros game. If you agree, send me a message. Number of people who agree: 15
#16zelserge37Posted 1/19/2013 1:45:25 AM
Dragon weak to rock.

Ice strong against water.
#17LilraptorPosted 1/19/2013 8:24:10 AM
Poison strong against Water.
Steel strong against something more than Ice and Rock.
Ice getting a move that makes a protective ice aura around them, weakening Grass, Water, Rock, Ground, and maybe Dragon moves (2/3 damage, perhaps?)
---
Waiting for Tang to come back since '03.
#18HejiruPosted 1/19/2013 8:42:36 AM
These type matchups people are suggesting make no sense.
---
Your opinion differs from mine, therefore you're trolling.
#19lyle81992Posted 1/19/2013 9:56:33 AM
Poison should be supereffective on Bug and Normal Types.
---
Pokemon Black FC-2280 5124 7519
#20Yamato_sanPosted 1/19/2013 10:36:09 AM(edited)
for a while, I've been suggesting Ice having a resistance to Flying, and possibly Bug (though the latter's more of a secondary suggestion). This would make sense, considering a majority of Flying-type moves are wind-based (and Bug has Silver Wind, for what it's worth), and when you think about it, wind-based attacks should be doing about as much damage to ice as they do against rock now (in fact, ice should only grow stronger with cold gusts of air, so it should make even more sense than rock). Also, in terms of game balance, I personally think that Ice gaining a Flying resistance would be the best possible route they could go that could make a significant difference yet while not throwing too many things out of a loop: Ice is in desperate need of SOME kind, any kind of resistance (GameFreak apparently having overlooked the fact that they've stopped treating it as just a sub-type to Water Pokemon since generation 3.... made all the worse when they try putting stuff like Regice and Cryogenal into defensive roles), and while Flying (and Bug) isn't exactly the best of offensive types, Ice isn't too abundant of a type that Flying would in turn be getting horribly screwed over by such a change (in fact, the only x1/4 resistance Flying would get out of this would be Frost Rotom, with the Abomasnow line being the only susceptible Pokemon becoming neutral).

Ice getting a Water resistance wouldn't hurt either. I mean, it's not like Water's begging for more advantages. The introduction of Scald kinda throws this for a loop, though..... but really, I think GameFreak should just allow some moves to make an exception to the type chart (Acid is super effective against Steel rather than having no effect, Sky Uppercut is super effective against Flying rather than being resisted, etc..... also, make Psycho Noise do neutral damage against other Psychic-types, and Dark-types in Umbreon's case, if only so the thing could be less friggin' useless). I do oppose the idea of Ice getting a Dragon resistance, though. Steel may be the only type resisting Dragon, but in all fairness, Dragon only does super-effective damage against itself. Not only that, but Dragon is STILL a somewhat rare typing, both in Pokemon variety and move availability, so I'd say it balances out. Besides, it's not likely every type needs to resist whatever they hit super-effectively (Ground not resisting Fire, for instance).

As for Poison.... I really think that its advantage was meant to be in causing status more than actual damage. However, GameFreak threw this out the window when they made pretty much every Pokemon in existence learn Toxic. I would suggest that Poison-types should cause Pokemon to become badly poisoned when using moves that just cause regular poison, and cause an even worse poisoning when they use Toxic (in other words, they'd get a STAB on status effects), but I get the feeling that that would make Poison a little too broken. Bringing back their advantage to Bug might be a good start, though it wouldn't really do much to differentiate Poison from Flying and Fire (both of which have even more advantages outside of those two). Though, again, Water could stand to be bumped down a peg, so I don't object to the idea of Poison being super-effective against it.

Lastly, they need to do something about Dark and Ghost. Maybe in the past, they could get away with both of them having the same super-effectives since one was physical while one was special, but now, they really should stand to be differentiated a bit more than whether or not they hit Normal and one or two types resisting them. Maybe Ghost could get a super-effective against one of the types it resists for whatever reason, like Bug or Poison. Dunno about Dark, though. I would suggest either one of them doing neutral damage against Dark (in Ghost's case, same logic for my Fire vs. Ground example applies), but that would kill Sableye and Spiritomb's gimmick, so I'd be against it.