This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

(Idea) More freedom in your starter choice.

#21RikusTwilightPosted 1/22/2013 3:00:34 AM
Good idea, and if implemented well, could be a very very good idea.

I've always wanted to start the game with a pokemon that isn't one of the three main starters just for a bit of a challenge.

Give me an Abra or Dratini and boom. I'm well away
#22SlimeStackPosted 1/22/2013 3:56:44 AM(edited)
Wouldn't this be impossible to balance?

Imagine using a steel or fighting type against all those early game normal types. Doesn't seem right to give the advanced players an easier time than beginners...

Also let's not forget that level up moves and evolutions etc are all balanced around early game use. That's a large amount of Pokémon that need balancing.
---
Professional Chespin fanboy.
#23MilenninPosted 1/22/2013 3:57:39 AM
I'd love more choice for my starter Pokémon.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#24Chaos_MissilePosted 1/22/2013 4:14:10 AM
GATTJT posted...
I'd much rather have a Ralts than a Mime Jr., but other than that personal preference, this idea is pretty cool.

I would love to agree with you...except for one teensy problem:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ralts_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
Start Growl Normal Status — 100% 40
6 Confusion Psychic Special 50 100% 25

You have to win your rival battle(if at all possible) to even get an attack.

It does make you wonder how Wally trained his as Ralts learns Confusion at Lvl 10, 5 levels much higher than caught and Wally gave back the Zigzagoon.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#25KitschgardenerPosted 1/22/2013 4:18:45 AM
I'd rather have 17 original starters, without the expert/rookie distinction. You get your starter at a "Starter Fair" where each distributor tries to make their type sound the best.
#26GATTJTPosted 1/22/2013 5:49:57 AM
I would love to agree with you...except for one teensy problem:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ralts_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
Start Growl Normal Status — 100% 40
6 Confusion Psychic Special 50 100% 25

You have to win your rival battle(if at all possible) to even get an attack.

I thought someone would bring this up, and the solution is simple:

Simply changes the moveset to allow Ralts to learn it at level 5. They adjusted movesets for B/W 2 from B/W 1, allowing pokemon like Growlithe to get Fire type physical moves a bit earlier than usual, no reason they can't do it in this situation.
---
Second in command to CE's resident villain and head of his army of evil minions.
#27DarkstaPosted 1/22/2013 5:59:23 AM
I like it but I agree the list is too big.

If shorten it but still include Eevee. Hell why not just make Eevee the starter and give the player a stone at a certain level as part of the story to evolve it.
---
I'm a Christian. I play Diablo 3 and one of my favorite video game characters is the Lich King from Warcraft. Deal with it.