This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most Hated Generation.

#21LexifoxPosted 1/23/2013 5:25:03 PM
Gen 2

Awful distribution of the newer Pokemon, with the early routes being full of Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie, Weedle, Zubat, Geodude, etc.

The gym leaders had no interest in using the newer Pokemon, with Falkner ignoring the new Hoothoot, Bugsy not using Spinarak and Ledyba over Metapod and Kakuna, Morty having four Ghost Pokemon... but having a second Haunter instead of the new Ghost-type, and Chuck not having any of the new Fighting Pokemon. Whitney, Jasmine, Clair, and Pryce use one new Pokemon each, with the bulk of their teams being older Pokemon, though Clair gets a pass due to Dragons being rare and her using the only new Dragon.

The game advertises two new types as a selling feature... and one is fairly rare, while the other is all but entirely post-game.

The level scaling is awful, with wild Pokemon at terrible levels for training, which is very punishing for someone who wants to change their team because they finally found a new Pokemon. You also had stuff like the dreaded Elite Four, the powerful trainers everyone will aspire to defeat.. and the Kanto gym leaders are on par with them, with Blue actually being stronger than Lance.

They basically gutted Kanto so that everything was gone and it was reduced to gym battles with a screen of route between them.

The new Pokemon, when you found them, were generally underwhelming. They weren't quite as good or usable as many of their Gen 1 counterparts, and there was a wealth of Pokemon that didn't evolve, one of the simple joys of the games: catching a Pokemon and seeing it evolve into something stronger. Unless you spoiled yourself, you'd catch that weird-looking deer... and no evolution.

A lot of the ease of things like evolution stones were gone. You had to rely on RNG and an annoying phone call system to get them instead of a store.

The PokePhone thing was annoying.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#22PolimarioPosted 1/23/2013 5:27:31 PM
Lexifox posted...
Gen 2

Awful distribution of the newer Pokemon, with the early routes being full of Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie, Weedle, Zubat, Geodude, etc.

The gym leaders had no interest in using the newer Pokemon, with Falkner ignoring the new Hoothoot, Bugsy not using Spinarak and Ledyba over Metapod and Kakuna, Morty having four Ghost Pokemon... but having a second Haunter instead of the new Ghost-type, and Chuck not having any of the new Fighting Pokemon. Whitney, Jasmine, Clair, and Pryce use one new Pokemon each, with the bulk of their teams being older Pokemon, though Clair gets a pass due to Dragons being rare and her using the only new Dragon.

The game advertises two new types as a selling feature... and one is fairly rare, while the other is all but entirely post-game.

The level scaling is awful, with wild Pokemon at terrible levels for training, which is very punishing for someone who wants to change their team because they finally found a new Pokemon. You also had stuff like the dreaded Elite Four, the powerful trainers everyone will aspire to defeat.. and the Kanto gym leaders are on par with them, with Blue actually being stronger than Lance.

They basically gutted Kanto so that everything was gone and it was reduced to gym battles with a screen of route between them.

The new Pokemon, when you found them, were generally underwhelming. They weren't quite as good or usable as many of their Gen 1 counterparts, and there was a wealth of Pokemon that didn't evolve, one of the simple joys of the games: catching a Pokemon and seeing it evolve into something stronger. Unless you spoiled yourself, you'd catch that weird-looking deer... and no evolution.

A lot of the ease of things like evolution stones were gone. You had to rely on RNG and an annoying phone call system to get them instead of a store.

Took the words right outta me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VXDSChH.png
Obey the Queen
#23360pagesPosted 1/23/2013 5:38:04 PM(edited)
Gen 3, hate it. The fact that you have to buy at least four games to complete the dex. Having nothing to do after the e4 in R/S. And not knowing for a year that old pokemon would be catch able.

The game took place on islands for the last 1/4 of it, which was annoying if you were not that big of a fan of water pokemon. A large chunk of pokemon were hidden in spots that were rather annoying and hard to find. Bagon was one of them. And the Regi puzzle was annoying as well since reading brail is stupid no matter what you do.

Emerald handed you a level 70 pokemon before the E4 with a master ball so you know how that turned out. And they gave you a reward for completing the regional dex, to bad you needed both R/S to get it, unless you had one of the 3d games, which made said reward completely useless.

Dive was a very useless feature even if it was an interesting concept the only thing it did was make finding pokemon a little more annoying since there were only three exclusive underwater pokemon anyway.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#24GiftedACIIIPosted 1/23/2013 5:38:44 PM
How is gen IV losing to gen II? I guess these fail nostalgic fanboys with no friends are so against pvp they can't see that special/physical movesplit and wifi was the best thing to happen to Pokemon.
#25FouCapitanPosted 1/23/2013 5:41:00 PM
While I enjoy a bit from every game, if I have to pick one it would be IV.

It just takes forever to get anything done in those games, and going back to play them (especially after V) just seems like a chore rather than a trip down nostalgia lane like 1-3 does.
---
Killing means never having to say you're sorry.
#26360pagesPosted 1/23/2013 5:41:46 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
How is gen IV losing to gen II? I guess these fail nostalgic fanboys with no friends are so against pvp they can't see that special/physical movesplit and wifi was the best thing to happen to Pokemon.

To bad wifi was horrible back in DP/ HG/SS and ti wasn't good until Gen 5

Having to find a friend code and track down people wanting to battle was a chore, and you were pretty much limited to trading at that point. It may have introduced wifi, but Gen 5 perfected the battling aspect of it. GTS sucks no matter what.
---
#27Robot_SoopaPosted 1/23/2013 5:47:51 PM
Based solely off my experiences with the games and how long they lasted me, ignoring how dated they are and the advancements they made.

Gen IV.

Despite making a lot of improvements I still enjoyed the overall game far less than any other Pokemon game and it also had to live up to Ruby which I spent more time on than probably any other game I've ever played period.
#28GiftedACIIIPosted 1/23/2013 5:58:51 PM
just seems like a chore rather than a trip down nostalgia lane like 1-3 does.

Well obviously. Your particular nostalgia means nothing. I don't get nostalgia from any of the games, its simple observation. Gen IV pretty much exploded Pokemon into being the best it can be.

360pages posted...
GiftedACIII posted...

Having to find a friend code and track down people wanting to battle was a chore, and you were pretty much limited to trading at that point. It may have introduced wifi, but Gen 5 perfected the battling aspect of it. GTS sucks no matter what.

That's the main point, going on forums, chatting with more experienced players, adding them and fighting them. It was the glory time for Pokemon battling with so many battles on youtube. Playing with randoms just don't give you the same fun as a 6v6 standard battle. GTS is better than having to link cable with either someone who still plays the gameboy games regularly (go ahead and find one after you're out of school) or freaking trade with yourself. At least local DS trading is still just wireless not to mention DS was the best selling video game console ever.

It just takes forever to get anything done in those games, and going back to play them (especially after V) just seems like a chore rather than a trip down nostalgia lane like 1-3 does.

I played Gen I, 2, and 3 and none of them come even close to how much I took time in Gen 4. Postgame there are swarms, pokeraders, daily activities, the undeground completing the pokedex, all longer and more sidequests than Gen 3 and below can ever hope for. Also Gen IV created a bunch of much needed evolutions from previous generations, the most out of every gen. Not to mention Gen IV finally getting a battle doesn't screw you over if there are very few people locally who play Pokemon plus the link cables are rarer and rarer.
#29360pagesPosted 1/23/2013 6:20:30 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
just seems like a chore rather than a trip down nostalgia lane like 1-3 does.

Well obviously. Your particular nostalgia means nothing. I don't get nostalgia from any of the games, its simple observation. Gen IV pretty much exploded Pokemon into being the best it can be.

360pages posted...
GiftedACIII posted...

That's the main point, going on forums, chatting with more experienced players, adding them and fighting them. It was the glory time for Pokemon battling with so many battles on youtube. Playing with randoms just don't give you the same fun as a 6v6 standard battle. GTS is better than having to link cable with either someone who still plays the gameboy games regularly (go ahead and find one after you're out of school) or freaking trade with yourself. At least local DS trading is still just wireless not to mention DS was the best selling video game console ever.

I played Gen I, 2, and 3 and none of them come even close to how much I took time in Gen 4. Postgame there are swarms, pokeraders, daily activities, the undeground completing the pokedex, all longer and more sidequests than Gen 3 and below can ever hope for. Also Gen IV created a bunch of much needed evolutions from previous generations, the most out of every gen. Not to mention Gen IV finally getting a battle doesn't screw you over if there are very few people locally who play Pokemon plus the link cables are rarer and rarer.

Well, I didn't vote for gen 4. And it's not like you can't still do those things now in gen 5. It introduced the concept nicely.
---
#30ThatKippPosted 1/23/2013 6:42:23 PM
Lexifox posted...
Gen 2

Took the words right outta me.

This or Gen 5 because of its awkward position between the DS and 3DS.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X boards
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725