This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most Hated Generation.

#61BolognaSammichPosted 1/24/2013 3:20:12 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
BolognaSammich posted...
And gen 2 gave us shinies, things to do on different days of the week, time changing in-game with real life time, 16 badges, pokerus, breeding, held items, genders. BUT NO THE POKEMON ARE DISTRIBUTED BADLY AND THE LEVELS I DONT LIKE UUUGH YOU ONLY LIKE IT CUZ TEH NOSTALGIA!!!

Something can make the game better while still being an overall meh experience.

Gen II and IV prove this as they made the greatest superficial improvements to the formula but ultimately the Pokemon themselves and the journey are the most important part and what people will remember. Unfortunately Gen II and IV were lacking in these areas.

Johto >>>>>>> Sinnoh for me
---
Reality is equal to the subliminal minds of the unspoken subjects.
Won't change sig til John Morrison wins a world title started 12-10-08
#62GiftedACIIIPosted 1/24/2013 3:20:18 AM
KillerMechanoid posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Really the real answer is 5th>4th>3rd>2nd>1st as each just keeps adding improvements.

I'd kinda agree too. However, many people here put Gen II last and not Gen I because of nostalgia goggles.

completely true
#63Robot_SoopaPosted 1/24/2013 3:21:25 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
Yes for children.

And I'm pretty sure much more children started, played and enjoyed Gen IV more than the other gens seeing the sales of the DS and the games. After a couple of years you'll have the majority of people whose favorite gen are 3rd and 4th because of simple nostalgia which really affects a franchise like Pokemon.

Sales of something is ALWAYS a terrible way to judge...well anything. If that were the case then R/B/Y are still the greatest generation because they sold the most. The DS is right up next to the Wii as the greatest selling consoles of all time. It sold obscenely well. It's notsurprise that the first Pokemon game for the DS sold more than the GBA. Gen IV sales will probably still be higher than Gen VI sales too. Thought the 3DS is on the right track.

Either way you don't measure opinions through sales.
#64Robot_SoopaPosted 1/24/2013 3:23:16 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
Really the real answer is 5th>4th>3rd>2nd>1st as each just keeps adding improvements.

I'd kinda agree too. However, many people here put Gen II last and not Gen I because of nostalgia goggles.

I prefer Gen II but there are PLENTY of reasons to prefer Gen I. Gen II's entire main game was butchered to hell compared to Gen I and the Pokemon spread was atrocious. As I said the main game and Pokemon are by far the most important parts of Pokemon to the majority.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the reason Gen II and Gen IV suffered in other areas was because of how much time they spent introducing new features.
#65BolognaSammichPosted 1/24/2013 3:28:47 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
GiftedACIII posted...

I prefer Gen II but there are PLENTY of reasons to prefer Gen I. Gen II's entire main game was butchered to hell compared to Gen I and the Pokemon spread was atrocious. As I said the main game and Pokemon are by far the most important parts of Pokemon to the majority.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the reason Gen II and Gen IV suffered in other areas was because of how much time they spent introducing new features.

Remember gen II only introduced 100 new pokemon, and that includes new evolutions like Kingdra, legendaries and the 9 starters. so there was only so much they could spread out. i'd say it served its purpose as a sequel, it was never supposed to be a standalone game which is why it sacrificed size for a trip to the watered down kanto and so few new pokemon.

What I find ironic is people often bash gen II for having too similar pokemon to Kanto and the watered down Kanto, but I've seen people bash gen III for having no connection to gen I and II, or not enough familiar pokemon.
---
#66GiftedACIIIPosted 1/24/2013 3:30:12 AM
Robot_Soopa posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Yes for children.

And I'm pretty sure much more children started, played and enjoyed Gen IV more than the other gens seeing the sales of the DS and the games. After a couple of years you'll have the majority of people whose favorite gen are 3rd and 4th because of simple nostalgia which really affects a franchise like Pokemon.

Sales of something is ALWAYS a terrible way to judge...well anything. If that were the case then R/B/Y are still the greatest generation because they sold the most. The DS is right up next to the Wii as the greatest selling consoles of all time. It sold obscenely well. It's notsurprise that the first Pokemon game for the DS sold more than the GBA. Gen IV sales will probably still be higher than Gen VI sales too. Thought the 3DS is on the right track.

Theres plenty of people who believe R/B/Y are the greated gen. My point is that for subjective stuff like enjoyable region, Pokemon, and music those are highly affected by nostalgia and what they played first so the more people who played which gen first the more people who thinks its the best. Gamefaqs is a board populated with 16-29 year olds in my experience. Gen I is almost always their first, if not Gen II which is why they're always the ones not getting judged.

So basically what I'm saying is that eventually even though many people right now don't like gen IV as a gen eventually the kids who played it first will consider Gen IV the best and they'll outnumber the kids who played the other gens first.

These opinions like "best region and design" is heavily influenced by nostalgia and completely subjective so that's why the more kids who played it first the more people who'll enjoy it more.
#67KillerMechanoidPosted 1/24/2013 3:30:56 AM
BolognaSammich posted...
What I find ironic is people often bash gen II for having too similar pokemon to Kanto and the watered down Kanto, but I've seen people bash gen III for having no connection to gen I and II, or not enough familiar pokemon.

I'll just leave this here:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheSameNowItSucks
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

Either way, fanbases tend to be quite unpleasable.
#68BolognaSammichPosted 1/24/2013 3:31:34 AM
GiftedACIII posted...
Robot_Soopa posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Yes for children.

Theres plenty of people who believe R/B/Y are the greated gen. My point is that for subjective stuff like enjoyable region, Pokemon, and music those are highly affected by nostalgia and what they played first so the more people who played which gen first the more people who thinks its the best. Gamefaqs is a board populated with 16-29 year olds in my experience. Gen I is almost always their first, if not Gen II which is why they're always the ones not getting judged.

So basically what I'm saying is that eventually even though many people right now don't like gen IV as a gen eventually the kids who played it first will consider Gen IV the best and they'll outnumber the kids who played the other gens first.

These opinions like "best region and design" is heavily influenced by nostalgia and completely subjective so that's why the more kids who played it first the more people who'll enjoy it more.

Yeah but part of Kanto's charm is it has developed a classic, nostalgia feeling to it. sinnoh is fairly recent so it might develop it, but for now it's boring.
---
#69Robot_SoopaPosted 1/24/2013 3:39:44 AM
BolognaSammich posted...

People have varying opinions. You have to realize these aren't the same people and if they are they're idiots.

GiftedACIII posted...

You can't just decide that though. They might actually believe that it is better. I've seen just as many people praise Gen I for being the original as I have people automatically dismiss it as the worst solely because it was the first. Judging games will ALWAYS be subjective. Each generation may have added huge sweeping improvements but maybe some people feel that these improvements weren't necessary and just bog down the overall game.

I know plenty of people have expressed they absolutely despised the Phone, Day/Night mechanic and time based events. They much preferred the less convoluted Gen I mechanics because it didn't require them the be able to play their game 24/7 to get everything. Some people have jobs or school and could never get certain Pokemon or do things like the Bug Catching Contest. For them Gen I was a better experience.
#70GiftedACIIIPosted 1/24/2013 3:40:11 AM
BolognaSammich posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Robot_Soopa posted...
GiftedACIII posted...
Yes for children.

Yeah but part of Kanto's charm is it has developed a classic, nostalgia feeling to it. sinnoh is fairly recent so it might develop it, but for now it's boring.

Exactly. These classic nostalgia feeling are only to the people who played it first and only as a child too. Gamefaqs is filled with 90s kids so of course Gen I and II are the most liked. (I mean you can't develop those nostalgia feelings if you haven't played it as a kid) I mean stuff like "it doesn't even look like a Pokemon" are only based on what gen they played first. Plenty of nostalgia brats though who think they "know" Pokemon because they played the originals though.

Also eventually those Gen IV kids will also Pokemon adults and then they'll reminsence about how Gen IV and III were the best too.